Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-24-09, 05:14 PM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default What type of line do you use for swimbaits

I've heard that braid is not a good choice for swimbaits. Can anyone explain why? Is it because swimbaits are better used in clearer water and mono is used to avoid detection of braid? I feel safer using braid on a expensive lure but might be convinced to use another line.
Old 02-24-09, 05:25 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm no big swimbait user, but I know that braid is fine, no problems with swimbaits & braid that I've heard.

How ever, if I had a choice, I would use 17-20lb mono. But right now, I don't have the legendary of that now, I have one two reels, and both have braid. I'll probably end up using a 20-25lb leader, when I get ,my swimbait (4" tru life swimbait by tru-tungsten).

Hope this helps,

Good luck and good fishin'
Old 02-24-09, 05:32 PM   #3
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
I feel safer using braid on a expensive lure but might be convinced to use another line.
I always use my digital scale to test a new line spool's rated before spooling up. So I'll know if I have a bad batch or not.
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 03:13 PM   #4
aikenyounggun

yeah braid isnt good because if it has a big action then every time you twitch it the first time it will get stuck in the trebles..... jsut try it with a jerkbait.... i would go with mono... you might try with braid if it doesnt have a huge action or if you are just swimming it and not jerking or ripping it or turning it around
Old 02-25-09, 03:48 PM   #5
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have used braid and mono and caught fish on both, but i have caught more on mono...But i say fish watever you feel most confident with....
Old 02-25-09, 06:50 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't use a log on swimbaits either, but the main reason in visibility. Swimbaits aren't meant to be fished fast, they're realistic, so the fish can get a good look at 'em and still be fooled, which is the point. If you're worried about fluoro's knot strength, then my all means go with mono. Stren Super Knot is an awesome line, and does tie and hold knots good. But I definately go with braid.

If you're using hard simbaits with treble hooks, then the braid's no stretch factor won't help, it may just pull the baits away.

BB
Old 02-25-09, 11:11 PM   #7
Rebbasser

P-Line Floroclear. 12 lb for small baits, and I had 20 on my big swimbait rod-7'6" Okuma with an Abu 6500C-until #2 stepson's buddy lost it overboard when they borrowed my boat today
Old 02-26-09, 09:48 AM   #8
Joel

I'm a 100% braid user. And you can use it with every presentation you can think of. Just use a leader, length to be determined by application and water conditions. No leader needed for pitching into the nasty stuff. If anything, the fact that braid floats helps with any surface or shallow running lure. I jerkbait all the time with braid and don't have any problems with line getting fouled on the treble hooks, nor is line visibility an issue. Again, use a leader. Hooks sets are easy, and don't require those massive hooksets you see and or might use yourself, because your line has so much stretch that you just need to apply a max effort to hook that fish. You can also back off your drag some, taking off a little stress on your drag and rod tip.

To my way of thinking, Pros and the manufactures need to reason out what line works best for what presentations so that the bait monkey will visit you more often. The fact is that all basic fishing lines will work if you have confidence in them, and know how to fish under most conditions with them.

I fish the NYC reservoirs, and for any given basic presentation, I know guys that use only mono, flouro, co-poly, and braid. Each is 100% convinced that they're right in their choice of line and put fish in the boat. Some only use 1 or 2 types of line. Some run the gamit, but all are master fishermen. It's not their line, rod or reel that puts big fish in their boats, it's the knowledge that they have stored in their minds and their ability to apply that knowledge correctly that's their real secret.
Old 02-26-09, 03:51 PM   #9
cassidyta

I throw the big 10 and 12 inch hard bodied swim baits and I use 20-30lbs mono. I am sure that the leader plan would work, but I don't trust my knots enough for my $80 lures.
Since I throw the big boys a lot, I have a dobyns rod designed for 2-5 oz lures. A lot of time I am deadsticking and barely twitching the bait for minutes before swimming it to the next spot and repeating. That is the main reason I don't use braid.
Old 02-26-09, 04:05 PM   #10
jasonfish320

In my opinion you don't really need anything over 17lbs when it comes to mono or fluoro...we catch 20-30lb lake trout and arctic char in canada with 12lb mono.
Old 02-26-09, 04:22 PM   #11
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
In my opinion you don't really need anything over 17lbs when it comes to mono or fluoro...we catch 20-30lb lake trout and arctic char in canada with 12lb mono.

I think there is a lot to be said for that. My reel that I use is rated for 20lbs line at the minimum. That is why I don't go that light.
Old 02-26-09, 06:04 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Reels aren't rated for lb test, they're rated ro line capacity. If the reel says200yds of 14lb test, that doesn't mean you can't use 10-12lb on it.

I too don't think there's a need for anything over 17lb test for swimbaits, and I'd only use that for big ones, which I don't fish.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.