Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 03-08-07, 01:39 AM   #1
LOU
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Hey all, I'm back with big news!!

Hi Guys!!!

I see a lot of new names on this site but luckily a lot of the old good ones!!!

Howzit Zooker, Lizzards, Redbasser great to see you guys are still at it.

I seriously doubt if any of you still remember this but it was a bit more that a year ago when I made my last post and I was considering starting a soft lure manufacturing facility in South Africa.

Well guys a long story short and I will not bore you with the details but about after my last contact I went ahead and gave it a go!! I got my hands on some of the machines, organized some material and now I have a very respectable production facility going. That is mainly the reason for me not posting over the last year or so. I still hold my day job as a project engineer so I have been moonlighting as a lure manufacturer. The last year has been enormously interesting not to even mention exhausting.

I have established a manufacturing arrangement with a South African plastic brand that I basically supply with bulk products, this has given me the opportunity to obtain the required skills and experience. I have also developed a relationship with one of the American plastic manufacturers that you guys might be more familiar with and they have given me a great deal of assistance and allowed me to have a much steeper learning curve than I would have had on my own.

So by July this year I am hoping to really launch my own products for both saltwater and freshwater fishing in South Africa. The products in this range will be under the name of the American brand that I have developed ties with but some of the products will be from molds that I have designed myself.

The reason for me telling you guys all this is not to try and use this site as a selling point as I seriously doubt if it will be worth while for any of you to try and buy from me is South Africa. Really I would love selling to you fellows, I am just not sure what the shipping costs will do to the final price of the lures. So please hold your horses before scalding me for using free publicity, not the intention.

Why am a writing my first post in a year? Well looking through some of the posts now I think I actually missed some of you buggers! Secondly with the designing of the molds and products I do seriously need some help, comments and ideas on products and what products to go for. See the molds for mass production are actually very expensive to manufacture and since my little enterprise is not exactly booming (yet) I would really appreciate the help and comments before cutting the mold. With no one on this site knowing me directly and the fact that I have learned a lot from you guys in the past I was hoping I could bounce a few ideas of you guys in the future. So let me just throw the idea out there and se what sort of comment I get from this so far.

Once again, nice to see some of y’all again!!
Old 03-08-07, 01:53 AM   #2
hackattack

hey, im a new guy, but that sounds really cool! show us some baits!!
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 02:09 AM   #3
WIUbassin

This is alittle off topic but do you guys have Largemouth over there? I have no clue? If not whats the big game fish?
WIUbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 04:01 AM   #4
LOU

Yep, we do have Largemouth in abundance and apart from that also several other freshwater species that’s fun to catch. Won’t even get started on the saltwater species, lots of them.

In a few hundred miles north from where I live LM bass in the 10 pound range is very common. Where I stay it is unfortunately it is a bit colder so my average size bass is about 2 - 5 pounds. Bass fishing is a very rapidly growing sport in SA.
Old 03-08-07, 04:47 PM   #5
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

A product i would love to see out are more good drop shot baits. Bass Pro has a drop shot worm and its awesome with those big eyes, but theyre always sold out or on back order. I would definitely start out with something like that though because with the pressure the lakes are getting now, Drop Shots are gonna be a staple in everyones box. I havent heard of you, but i think its cool anytime when someones following a fishing endeavor. If you have a logo or a patch I would love to put it on my tournament shirt.

thanks,
adam c jones
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 06:57 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

LOU!!!

sup old timer?? i guess the tackle buziness is booming in S.A. knowing that getting tackle in your specific location has to suck.. i take it that you ideas are a bit CRABBY?

i know from what ya said in the past. that a small minnow type bait works,while a pnj DON'T, a crab bait will work. i am guessing a couple sizes of crab baits and a 4" fluke would be in order..

as for colors this is where your local knowlage helps you.. as i am sure that green pumkin is a good color all over the U.S.A. but that don't mean it is worth a crap in S.A...you must remember what colors work and what ones don't.. colors that work will sell better than ones that don't..

nice to hear from the southern most member of this board..-your just a redneck with a british accent...

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 03-08-07 at 07:09 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 07:12 PM   #7
The Bateman

I just recently started using Storm swimbaits. The thing I like about them is that they drop at a 45 degree angle, and swim down. I get most of my strikes on the drop. I usually cast out, and yoyo it back. It's been very effective for me.
Old 03-08-07, 07:15 PM   #8
Rebbasser

Howdy Lou!!!!!

Great to see you back, amigo!

Way to go on getting the tackle business going! Making baits there and not having to get them shipped from the states is going to make you real popular around there I'd bet. Good luck with it and keep us posted. And welcome back!
Old 03-08-07, 08:17 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Welcome back Lou, really good to hear from ya. Your name gets brought up from time to time. I hope with all the working you've been doing, you've found a little time to wet a line now and again. That's what's it's really all about, and why we all love fishing so much. I would be honered to help out in anyway I could on your new business, makes me feel important LOL.

Lizards
Old 03-08-07, 08:40 PM   #10
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Lou

Lou,

New here, but if these guys are giving you there respect- you must be all right. Keep us all posted on your business... it shoould make for some interesting reading!! And let us here somes SA fisihng stories!!!
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 08:47 PM   #11
zooker

bush hog lou gets the respect caiuse he is one of the oldest members on this board..signed up 3 days after kevin cranked this site up err 15+ years ago....

zooker
Old 03-09-07, 02:28 AM   #12
hackattack

www.bass8baits.com
you're covered for 'shotting
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 12:59 PM   #13
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

That link for the shot worms wont open.
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 04:28 PM   #14
WIUbassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamchasejones View Post
That link for the shot worms wont open.
its true...
WIUbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 09:49 PM   #15
brushhog

Default oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
bush hog lou gets the respect caiuse he is one of the oldest members on this board..signed up 3 days after kevin cranked this site up err 15+ years ago....

zooker
zooker, I meant that i was new here so was unfamiliar with Lou...
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 11:08 PM   #16
Super Fluke

Welcome back to the site,

I think you guys should make a good quality swimbait, a seven inch fluke, and a 8 inch brush hog like thing.
Old 03-12-07, 06:35 PM   #17
ROBZILLA

I'm a little bitter I din't get a shout out LOU! ,all joking aside welcome back you O'L mule skinner!
Old 03-15-07, 10:36 PM   #18
flbassman

Great to see you around lou! Its been a while ain't it Hope you sell a bunch of baits!
Old 03-16-07, 05:04 PM   #19
Bassinkid

Africa wow thats far lol. i hope everything is goin good down there and you keep it up.
Bassinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 08:21 PM   #20
Vabass22

Lou, I'm fairly new here, and its good to hear about your business. I actually didn't know there was a bass fishing industry in South Africa! I hope to visit there someday, as I love Africa (recently took a trip to east Africa).

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.