Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-15-10, 06:57 PM   #1
jr.ego
BassFishin.Com Member

Post bass spawn

Alright, another quick question. I'm in northern Ohio, weather is about at a constant 65-70 degree range, and I notice bass in the shallows I assume pre-spawn to spawn mood, guarding areas and what not. I've heard that you can use reaction or defensive bites in your favor, but I've done both with no success. Water is pretty clear, one side is rocky, the other more sandy. I have used topwater, worms (t-rigged, wacky, wieghtless), jigs, spinner baits, and cranks, both lipless and not. Any other suggestions on what else to try? Or what is the best presentation for this mood?
jr.ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 08:58 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hey hr, over here in northern Indiana, the weather has been the same, and the lake I fish has been very clear as well. The spawn cycle has started here as well and I've been doing very well the last 3 weeks using the 4.5 - 5 inch soft swim baits. I did really well today using the Yum 5 inch Money Minnow. I've just been tossing it around any vegitation I come across.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 10:51 PM   #3
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I was sight fishing the other day and threw every style bait u could throw. Only thing I could get them to bite was a swim bait.
Old 05-16-10, 08:54 AM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Jr, The weather has been pretty inconsistent lately. Some nice days, then some colder rainy days... (Typical NW Ohio weather, lol).

Anyways, my dad and I were just up fishing in Michigan (up in the Irish Hills), and we could not find any signs of them spawning or even any beds... The water temp was a consistent 57*.

BB
Old 05-16-10, 11:11 AM   #5
firedude7
BassFishin.Com Member

If they're spawing and you can see the beds, throw it right up on the bed. We were using tubes the other day at Lake Fork and it was working great. Just leave it in the middle of the bed and give it little jerks (keeping it in the same place if possible) when the fish gets near it. Sometimes it takes a while to get a strike, and several casts back to the middle of the bed, but usually you'll get a strike. Some fish will be more aggressive regardless of where you throw it in the spawing area, but some fish will require you to get it right on or next to the small 2-3 inch area where the eggs are laid in order to get them to strike. If one bait isn't working, keep switching out baits and/or colors until you start getting more strikes. If they aren't spawing, but just hanging out in the general area and don't seem to be feeding, I would think a faster bait/lure that would induce a reaction bite would probably be what to go with. I'm no expert by any means so take what I've said with a grain of salt, but it's just my two cents. Good luck.
firedude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 12:11 PM   #6
Bassboss

I'd try a jig! They represent craws, and they PACKED full of protein and other good stuff, and bass will gorge on them before spawning. Fish the shandy/rocky transition.
Old 05-17-10, 05:11 PM   #7
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

Throw a salamander on the bed. The Bass know a salamander eats eggs and will kill it ASAP. Also bluegill colored swimbaits.
basstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 06:28 PM   #8
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

HAHA you forgot a lizard! Go with a t-rigged lizard!
Old 05-18-10, 10:49 AM   #9
Barthez
BassFishin.Com Member

I am with CAvs1123. Got a very aggresive bite on clear green 4inch lizard on t-rig.
Barthez is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.