Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-10, 07:23 AM   #1
RPBassin'
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Recommended lure size for a rod

This is something i have never really thought about before because i have always had the "correct" rod for the job, but i couldn't sleep all that great last night and this is what i was thinking while laying there....

If i have a rod that the recommended lure weight is lets say between 1/4 oz and 5/8 oz and i tie on a 3/4 oz, what's going to happen? Is the rod going to break? i doubt it! I mean if i tie on a 5/8 oz lure and catch a 5lb bass, the rod obviously has enough power to handle a large fish, so what would going an 1/8 or a 1/4 oz bigger on the lure do?

I know it probably has something to do with the long term effects it would have on the rod, maybe shortening the life of it, otherwise they wouldn't have the lure weight printed right on the rod.

Just another weird thing to pop in my head while laying sleepless. Thinking about all of the combos i have, thinking about all of the combos i want, and also thinking about my boat getting smaller and smaller with the addition of all the new stuff
RPBassin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:29 AM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I brought this up before... there are different types of forces at play between castiong a lure and fighting a fish... a fish pulls with a fairly constant force... but when you cast you accelrate the lure a rediculous amount ina short distance... since F=MA 5/8oz lure may actually put more force on your rod than a 8lb fish... I wish I had the means to measure this... its teh same as guys testing a lines strength with a constant increase pull instead of a shock pull... hook set forces are much different than pulling in a fish forces...

If rod companies are anything like the aviation community, they rate their items with a small safety margin to prevent you breaking the rod and them developing a bad reputation...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:48 AM   #3
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Well, as another who tends to 'overthink' things, I can certainly sympathize with your sleeplessness. So many variables and so little time to address them all...

I have never really regarded the recommended lure weight as a major limitation of the rod itself. I think the ranges they establish are just a 'guideline' for the weights that would give you optimum 'loading' of the rod when casting. As you pointed out, the rod is designed to handle a large fish. If your drag is set properly, and your line is good, I can't believe you would damage the rod by casting a lure (or a live bait) that is heavier than the recommended range.

If you get well above the lure weight range, casting will start to feel rather 'sloppy'. Try a 5/8 oz crankbait on an ultralight rod and you'll see what I mean. It will be more difficult to make accurate casts under these conditions.

In times past, I have used small 'panfish' (baby brim to Southerners) as Bass bait, and they were well beyond the recommended lure range of my rod. When doing so I usually side-arm the cast very gently, but that's mainly to prevent tearing the hook out of the bait, rather than lowering the stress on the rod.

Old 08-31-10, 10:32 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

HarveysMinnow is correct. It's not that going over the recommended weight will break your rod, as you can hoist (although not suggested) a 1-2lb fish right into the boat with it.

It all has to do with casting ability. That's why there is a minimum lure rating as well. Using a lure under the rod's rating DEFINITELY isn't going to break the rod.

While you may have no problems casting a 1/2oz lure on a rod rated to 3/8, it may not be optimal. To give you a couple Extreme examples: like HM said, try casting a 1/2-5/8oz crankbait on a light spinning rod rated up to 3/16oz. Again, try casting an 1/8 lure on a heavy rod rated for like 1/2-1oz.

Also, lure recommendations on rods serve purpose in the warranty (same as line ratings). Most rod warranties will be voided if you use 30, 40, or 50lb braid when it's recommended for 12-17lb line. Same goes for using a 3/4oz crankbait on a rod rated up to 1/2 or 5/8oz. While there really isn't any way for the company to know if you don't tell, if you do, they most likely will not honor the warranty.

BB
Old 08-31-10, 12:20 PM   #5
RPBassin'
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
I brought this up before... there are different types of forces at play between castiong a lure and fighting a fish... a fish pulls with a fairly constant force... but when you cast you accelrate the lure a rediculous amount ina short distance... since F=MA 5/8oz lure may actually put more force on your rod than a 8lb fish... I wish I had the means to measure this... its teh same as guys testing a lines strength with a constant increase pull instead of a shock pull... hook set forces are much different than pulling in a fish forces...

If rod companies are anything like the aviation community, they rate their items with a small safety margin to prevent you breaking the rod and them developing a bad reputation...

I never thought about the "force" put on the rod during the cast, that makes total sense though. Just another thing to think about the next time i have nothing to do for hours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveysMinnow View Post
Well, as another who tends to 'overthink' things, I can certainly sympathize with your sleeplessness. So many variables and so little time to address them all...

I have never really regarded the recommended lure weight as a major limitation of the rod itself. I think the ranges they establish are just a 'guideline' for the weights that would give you optimum 'loading' of the rod when casting. As you pointed out, the rod is designed to handle a large fish. If your drag is set properly, and your line is good, I can't believe you would damage the rod by casting a lure (or a live bait) that is heavier than the recommended range.

If you get well above the lure weight range, casting will start to feel rather 'sloppy'. Try a 5/8 oz crankbait on an ultralight rod and you'll see what I mean. It will be more difficult to make accurate casts under these conditions.

In times past, I have used small 'panfish' (baby brim to Southerners) as Bass bait, and they were well beyond the recommended lure range of my rod. When doing so I usually side-arm the cast very gently, but that's mainly to prevent tearing the hook out of the bait, rather than lowering the stress on the rod.

Well said, i know what you mean by the "sloppy" feel.

I don't currently go beyond the "weight" restrictions on a rod for the simple fact that they are there for a reason and it also gives me an excuse to buy more stuff! (the wife doesn't like it but i keep telling her that i "need" this stuff) The braided line thing is another story.
RPBassin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 12:25 PM   #6
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveysMinnow View Post
I think the ranges they establish are just a 'guideline' for the weights that would give you optimum 'loading' of the rod when casting.
Thatīs exactly what it means, itīs the optimal load. Below it, the rod wonīt load properly, not that it canīt cast it will but not well; above it the rod will overload, it can cast but not well. So above and below the range of weight you loose control, accuracy and distance.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 01:22 PM   #7
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Thatīs exactly what it means, itīs the optimal load. Below it, the rod wonīt load properly, not that it canīt cast it will but not well; above it the rod will overload, it can cast but not well. So above and below the range of weight you loose control, accuracy and distance.
IMO, you also lose sensitivity on the retrieve with heavier baits. Harder to feel subtle bites when a heavier crankbait or spinnerbait is already putting extra bend in the pole and more movement in the tip. I have found that using a lighter bait than the pole is rated for compromises distance but not necessarily sensitivity or casting accuracy
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-10, 10:15 PM   #8
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

It may not be harmful to the rod if you use a heavier lure than what the rod is rated for but you wont get as good of action out of your lure and you wont be able to cast it as well like others have said already.
So dont put to much thought into it if its a little bit over the limit but as a general rule stick to what the rod is rated for
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.