Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-05-11, 10:12 PM   #1
IAFrogger
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Crosslock snaps with crankbaits & jerkbaits???

For those of you using a crosslock type of snap without the swivel, do you remove the split ring found on most hardbaits and connect the snap directly to the eye of the bait.... or are you connecting to the split ring with the snap ???
IAFrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 11:06 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Remove the split ring, and use the smallest ball bearing, hook-type snap-swivel you can find.

Sampo makes good ones:

as does Spro:

Contrary to popular delusion, a swivel is never a bad thing. People usually just use too large of one (some cheapo Eagle Claw swivel, etc.), and the extra weight affects the lure performance.
Old 03-05-11, 11:24 PM   #3
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use the smallest crosslock snap my eyes will allow, without a swivel and connect to the split ring on my crankbaits and jerkbaits.
Old 03-06-11, 12:18 AM   #4
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Remove the split ring, and use the smallest ball bearing, hook-type snap-swivel you can find.

Sampo makes good ones:

as does Spro:

Contrary to popular delusion, a swivel is never a bad thing. People usually just use too large of one (some cheapo Eagle Claw swivel, etc.), and the extra weight affects the lure performance.
X2, I do the same
Old 03-06-11, 12:29 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I like duolock snaps better than crosslock. I also don't use ones with Swivels. There's nothing wrong with it, I just prefer the plain snap. Bryce, I'm curious why you would remove the split ring from the bait? I always leave the split rings on.

BB
Old 03-06-11, 12:34 AM   #6
nofearengineer

I would only remove the split ring from the lure if using a snap-swivel. If you insist on not using the swivel, I would leave the split ring on.

The argument is freedom of movement vs. points of failure.
Old 03-06-11, 01:49 AM   #7
bassboogieman

I remove the split rings, use a Norman speed clip and NO swivel.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 03:21 AM   #8
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I never use the barrel swivel . If you can find different size clips/snaps you can get different actions out of the same baits. For example, I use BPS and Duolck brand names on My Bagley's B-2's and 3's, shallow retrieve. By going from a BPS to a duo lock, you get a tighter wiggle, This is also true of same brand, different size clip

Last edited by Ebbetsguy; 03-06-11 at 08:13 AM.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 07:32 AM   #9
walkeraviator

Newer Wiggle Warts come from the factory with duolocks, but the older ones came with split rings, and i use duolocks without moving the split rings. It makes zero difference in how the bait works, so no need to remove split rings.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 12:24 PM   #10
bassboogieman

Spilt ring may not affect action, I think it does on certain baits. Otherwise it ony adds a slight amount of weight, and it lengthens the hardware on the front of the bait which on some smaller baits, snags the front treble occacionally when casting. That's particularly true if you upsize your hooks. The last negative is the split ring is just another failure point in the bait connection to the line. Opinions vary, as we've seen, this is just mine.
Old 03-06-11, 02:44 PM   #11
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
I use the smallest crosslock snap my eyes will allow, without a swivel and connect to the split ring on my crankbaits and jerkbaits.
I do the same. Thanks Bob for saving me from typing all that! haha
Old 03-06-11, 02:52 PM   #12
Ebbetsguy

That's just about what I do, sometimes I loose the split ring on the bait, if it changes the action and the bite gets better
I have never had a split ring fail while bass fishing, but I don't catch Mike Long pigs either, most of my bass are more on the dink end of the spectrum

Since most of the bass I catch a year are under 5 lbs I have never had a split ring fail. If I was stripper or blue fishing the Atlantic, as I do each summer then I would worry about it

If you have a good bite going, and the fish are hitting a bait with a split ring I would rather chance loosing a fish and a bait, because you can always buy another bait, but on any given day you can't buy a bite
Of course I do not fish tournaments so I do not need to hook every bite.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 04:07 PM   #13
IAFrogger
BassFishin.Com Member

After doing some more research online,... I found a post from a guy who claims to have presented this question to Kevin VanDam after a fishing seminar. Supposedly KVD only uses Berkeley crosslock snaps in size #3 (60lb) without a swivel......

But it is not like he is an authority on the subject or anything ....
Old 03-06-11, 04:13 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFrogger View Post
After doing some more research online,... I found a post from a guy who claims to have presented this question to Kevin VanDam after a fishing seminar. Supposedly KVD only uses Berkeley crosslock snaps in size #3 (60lb) without a swivel......

But it is not like he is an authority on the subject or anything ....
Make sure and ask him what kind of toilet paper he uses, because I've heard it said that many fishermen can't wipe their butt without checking to see how KVD does it first.
Old 03-06-11, 04:49 PM   #15
IAFrogger
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Make sure and ask him what kind of toilet paper he uses, because I've heard it said that many fishermen can't wipe their butt without checking to see how KVD does it first.
Ahhh,... the power of the almighty marketing dollar....

But that aside.... seems to me that a baitcaster would be much less necessary to use a swivel snap than say a spinning reel..... I have for years just tied directly to the split ring... but will likely try some type of crosslock snap this season to change up the crankbait selection more easily....
Old 03-06-11, 05:18 PM   #16
walkeraviator

That is why I started using snaps IAFrogger. I got tired of cutting off and tying every time i wanted to change cranks.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 08:14 PM   #17
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I only use duo locks with baits that come with them - i.e. Wiggle Warts. Otherwise I always use the split ring that the baits come with. For me it's a confidence thing. I don't like the way the bait looks with a swivel on the front, and I really don't like anything like that when fishing grass.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 09:04 PM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
I only use duo locks with baits that come with them - i.e. Wiggle Warts. Otherwise I always use the split ring that the baits come with. For me it's a confidence thing. I don't like the way the bait looks with a swivel on the front, and I really don't like anything like that when fishing grass.
Glad I'm not the only one.
Old 03-08-11, 06:40 AM   #19
SaminVa

I use the size crosslock that's found on a bomber Speed Shad... don't know what size it is...I dont't use a swivel & very rarely remove the split ring. I use them 90 % of the time on my crankbaits & jerkbaits.
Old 03-08-11, 08:40 AM   #20
bassboogieman

Quote:
KVD uses Charmin, but the pervert insists on squeezing it first.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.