Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-10, 10:06 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Thinner than Daiwa Samaria braid?!

Was looking around on tackle warehouse and they've got a new braid out.. or at least one I've never seen.

55lb Samaria braid is 10lb Equivalent.

This Cortland Masterbraid stuff, is 50/8!!

The norm for 50lb is 12lb.

I was wondering if anyone has some info on this line, maybe the amount of carriers it has or the pick count.. or what makes it some thin!

Anyone use this either, is it smooth? And how does it preform?
Old 08-10-10, 08:16 PM   #2
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It's my belief that any thread worth posting is worth at least one reply, and I wonder from time to time why some perfectly good threads seem to just 'die on the vine'.

I don't have any first hand experience with the Courtland Masterbraid, but from the info presented at the tackle warehouse site, it looks like it could be a good product. As you are probably well aware, Courtland has been a major provider of fly line for decades. Since (floating) fly line is primarily large diameter braided line with a waterproof coating, it seems likely to me that Courtland has adapted some of their fly line coating technology to the process of making smaller diameter bait casting braid. If it is as smooth as some of their fly lines, it would probably outperform some of the competing brands of braid.

I have yet to see a braided line that I'm that crazy about. Other than the high breaking strength for its diameter, what redeeming features is braid supposed to have? I'm asking because I'd really like to know, rather than trying all the different choices out there.

Old 08-10-10, 08:31 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Like I said the other night on the chat, you're over thinking it Sammy. All the question and all the research in the world is no substitute for actual experience. Pick one and fish it. If you don't like it, try something else.

For what it's worth Daiwa Samurai Braid is one of the more popular (and more expensive) braids on the market. It is also arguably one of the limpest braids. I wouldn't worry about line diameter too much with braids anyways. In fact, the only reason I went from 30lb to 50lb braid was for increased line diameter.

BB
Old 08-11-10, 02:25 PM   #4
Bassboss

Thanks for the replies guys! Harvey, I didn't know they make fly lines, if the coat it with the same stuff, that would be real cool, and would make for some really smooth line too! I'd really like to try this, to bad braid is so expensive! I'll hopefully get somea this stuff!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.