Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-11, 04:33 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Carlina Rigging

I have to admit that the Crolina Rig is my least thrown presentation. While I have caught some nice fish off it in the past, I have very little confidence in the technique. Historically I either am too quick on the hookset or I wait too long and the bait is dropped.
While searching videos on it, I cam across one from Duckett on what he considers a finesse C-Rig. He use 1/2oz weight and no bead. I fiugred I would share it with you guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO63FqEncsw

One added question. What do you guys use as your goto C-Rig bait? For me it has usually been a brushhawg or a 8" worm. I admit that the size probably has a lot to do with me missing fish as they only grab the tail of the bait.

Last edited by cassidyta; 03-03-11 at 04:39 PM.
cassidyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 06:55 PM   #2
AlBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

The video looks pretty good with several good ideas . Optinal baits are the Zoom Vibe Craw , which I like better . For worms any of the standard finesse worms will work . Netbait Finesse as well the Zoom worms will do . I would fish this a little slower because the weight should come off the bottom more and take more time to settle back to the bottom .
I have used this type set up before for shallow water when I did not need the extra weight .
Best of Luck and tight liness !
AlBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 07:52 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't like the c-rig to much either cass. Never given it a far share of fish time though, main reason being is I HATE to cast 'em. This sounds pretty good though, I'd like to try it this year.
Old 03-03-11, 08:52 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

I have seen that video before, there is some good information on it. My favorite baits on a Carolina rig are Brush hogs, Baby Brush hogs, Crazy legs Chigger Craws, and Lizards.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 09:09 PM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Brush Hogs, Power Hawgs, Lizards and probably my favorite is a trick worm. My typical rule of thumb is that I use a 4' leader - always. I don't C-Rig in very dirty water. If there is dirty water, I throw a T-Rig.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 07:51 PM   #6
Bob Smith

C-rig is one of my Got to presentations most of the year. I use 3/4 oz wight, bead and about 4-5' leader with 2/0 Gammy roundbend offset worm hook. My favorite baits are usually Zoom Centepedes, GrandeBass 3.5" and 4.5" Rattle Snakes, and LFT Baby Ring Fry in a pinch. Colors aren't too complicated either, under 55 degrees I usually stay with Chartreuse Pepper, The I gravitate to Pumpkin/Chratreuse, then for the rest of the year I vary between between Watermelon Candy, Green Pumpkin/seed, watermelon/red flk, Trophy Hunter (similar to Bama Bug), and Watermelon seed. Retrieve speeds vary but generally speaking slower in dirty water and faster in clear water.
Old 03-05-11, 09:38 PM   #7
Jeremy
BassFishin.Com Member

Good thread! Like some others have mentioned, I've also avoided the c-rig because I find it hard to cast and I've had a hard time detecting bites outside of it being slammed. I've never doubted it's effectiveness though and I will definitely try it more often this season.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 03:27 AM   #8
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Alluring brush bug and Manns Jelly worms if I am dragging the bottom. 4 ft is max for me for a leader

Another C rig use
1/2 ounce egg sinker with bead to the swivel
Now this is when you want your plastic up there a bit, like going through some grass, or by some rock ledges holding fish
3 1/4 to 4 inch tube, Pick your brand
Put one of those cheap dollar store noise prevention ear plugs in your tube
(Dollar general yellow ones float nice) and a 3/0 offset worm hook T rigged

You can put 2 plugs in and we use a spray product that really floats them as of late, but the ear stop things work. You can adjust your leader to control the height above the weight your bait travels,
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 07:29 AM   #9
walkeraviator

How can you detect bites? It seems that if the bead is pulled up against the weight, you would have no feeling for what is beyond the bead and swivel. I have thrown this very little and have never felt what i consider a bite, but that doesnt mean i didnt just miss the hit. What am I feeling for? Is it the same as a T-Rig hit?
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 08:10 AM   #10
Ebbetsguy

Good question Wake it takes some getting used to when the bite is subtle
best way I can describe is Line Watching: You kind of pump your rod tip form lets say 3 to 12 pm reel it the slack and when you do that again the weight will somewhat hop, when you get a bite the line will go sideways or almost go slack, when you know it should be going straight, I hope that's a clear descripton. I belive they take the tube and run with it, so the tap-tap and line movement occurs.
Most of the time, there is no doubt , they seem to hammer this more than a typical C rig hit, and you can feel the weight of the fish pretty easy.
Watch your slack, thats what kills feel and hooksets with this way of c rigging tubes, once you get the hang of it, I like to fish 15 ft down, into some creek beds, and around rocks with this method, especially if it's a relatively weedy area

This differs in the approach I take with Criggin Brush Bugs and Jelly worms
Old 03-06-11, 10:19 AM   #11
keithdog

Hey Ebbet, I like the idea about using the ear plugs to put into the tubes. I'll have to try that. I'm assuming your talking about the foam ones. If so, I have an idea. Try soaking them in a scent attractant before inserting them into the jig. The fish might be attracted to the tube even more and hang onto the tube a bit longer.
Old 03-06-11, 01:08 PM   #12
danielbasspro

I throw a c-rig very often. In fact, it's probably one of my favorite presentations. I catch a lot of fish with a Green Pumpkin Zoom Fluke, Watermelon Red Zoom Mag Finesse Worm, Ten-Inch Worms. The key for the c-rig for me is to move it extremely slow. You want it to sit on the bottom motionless longer than actually moving it. Be patient, and you'll catch em.
Old 03-06-11, 02:24 PM   #13
Ebbetsguy

Thats about it Danielbasspro, when I am dragging the bottom with a Brush Bug or a worm. When I get the feel to change the location of the bait on the bottom, I do it by sweeping the rod and not with reeling so much, and then let it be still agian
Old 03-07-11, 02:14 PM   #14
Carver
BassFishin.Com Member

A C rig is probably the best search bait you can use. When I need to find fish it is the first technique I think of. I use braid with a flouro leader and a leader length anywhere from 18 to 30 inches. I don't really have a favorite bait but one of my most reliable is a six inch straight tail worm. It is so easy to vary your technique just by changing the size of the lure or the action, or a bait that floats versus one that just lays on the bottom. You can fish them fast or slow, you can drag it, hop it, jerk it and any other way you can think of. And you don't have to keep retying to do it. It is worth learning and it is not hard, I always have one ready and I use it on every trip.
Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 12:59 AM   #15
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

I like the carolina rig. Its one of my favorite finesse presentations. I really dont get too fancy with it either. I just put on a couple split shots and cast away. My favs are 7" powerworms and lizards. Pumpkin seed seems to work the best alot of times.
FishinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.