Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-03-09, 11:55 PM   #1
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Water temp in lower 40s

The water temperature is in the low 40s here. It's going to be nice out tommorrow and was thinking about going out fishing. The ice has been off the lake for a week and the water looks clear even though this lake is make from a river and it is usually murky. My guess is that the water temperature will be around 43 degrees tommorrow. What do you guys think I should be throwing? The wind will probably be around 10mph north. I was thinking about hitting the shallows on the northern part of the lake where it warms up faster but not sure what to throw. If you guys have some good ideas let me know because I don't usually get out fishing this time of year. I'm fishing from northern midwest region. The primary forage is shad, sunfish/bluegil and crawfish.
pacmanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 12:23 AM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm no expert on cold water fishing, so if I tell you something wrong, someone will be along shortly to correct me.
The fish will still be lethargic, so go slow. Suspending jerkbait, jigs, wacky rigged worms are probably the best way to go. And yes, hit the north bank mainly. That's the first place the sun hits, so it might be a little warmer than the rest of the lake.
Good luck.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 12:27 AM   #3
chase_cooley5308
BassFishin.Com Member

im no cold water expert either but what MB suggested sounds like it would work..just make sure with whatever you use to slow your presentation down..hope you whack em!
chase_cooley5308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 01:31 AM   #4
SDBassman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SDBassman

Im not an expert either but I was watching some videos on youtube and this guy was using spinnerbaits and the weather was only like in the high 30's and he was nailing them left and right. I would try to find some heavy covered areas with logs and stuff around. Like the other guys said just take it slow when reeling in, the fish wont be to active but if they see it moving slow enough to grab then they most likely will.
SDBassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 01:37 AM   #5
cassidyta

I would say suspension jerk baits with long pauses.
Old 03-04-09, 03:07 AM   #6
CCbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've caught fish flippin in 45 degree water in January one to two feet deep, eight to be exact is my best but always some. True this lake is shallow and not much for them to go to deep in the cold. But most ignored the lake in the winter because of that, if there is cover shallow and stained water it might be a target especially this far into the year.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 07:34 AM   #7
catbird
BassFishin.Com Member

look for two channels coming to gether close to a long main lake point that drops off into deep water. this will be a stageing area for bass to school up waiting for that magic temp. to move to the spawning areas. they will gang up in these areas until that time. use rattle traps, suspending jerkbaits,and crankbaits to locate the fish, then slow way down with carolina rigs or t-rigs, jigs, or drop shot rigs. look for brush piles ,rock piles on the structure. they will be in these areas.
catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 10:44 AM   #8
woody

I would use the baits that the others have suggested. Also I would search out the northern most main lake points and other relating structure.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 11:38 AM   #9
3dkicker

I'd be checking out the 12-18' areas looking for fish on points and channel edges. Then I'd move to 8-12' areas like secondary points and drop offs near channels. Last I'd go shallow. Jigs, C-rigs, and Silver Buddy would be my first choice of baits deep. Then I'd go to crankbaits and spinnerbaits.
Old 03-04-09, 01:59 PM   #10
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

I like your website smitty. You got some nice looking tubes. I don't use tubes much though. I never have too much luck with them. Maybe you can teach me how to use them better.
pacmanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 02:58 PM   #11
aikenyounggun

listen to what the other guys said but if you dont catch nothin find a rocky drop off and throw a shaky head..... fish this SLOW ..... if you dont catch nothin on that .... fish it over a big rock and STOP it ... deadstick.... do that for 35-45 minutes and if you dont catch nothin go try whatever you can think of
Old 03-04-09, 07:01 PM   #12
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanrocks View Post
I like your website smitty. You got some nice looking tubes. I don't use tubes much though. I never have too much luck with them. Maybe you can teach me how to use them better.
Thanks. Send me a PM or use the search feature to see old posts about using the tube.
Old 03-05-09, 01:20 PM   #13
hookset on 3

Hello Pacman, I agree with the guys on lures and tactics. I think you'll do better to sleep in late and get on the water from noon till 3 or 4 o'clock.That's when they'll be the shallowest. In addition, some fish will be in those northern coves just soakin' up the rays. Hopefully they will hit your lures, as sometimes they need some coaxing to bite, whether out of hunger or reaction.
See ya Hookset
hookset on 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 07:27 PM   #14
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My best two lures for the past two year for ice out fishing have been the Chatterbait, and a Rattlin Rouge. I know a lot of folks will tell yuou to use a suspending Rattlin Rouge, but actually, I've had better luck with the floating model just twitched and jerked at the surface in shallow water. I'd be looking for shallow protected bays that are very close to deeper water, preferably where a creek feeds in.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 10:09 PM   #15
fish2

Send a message via AIM to fish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanrocks View Post
The water temperature is in the low 40s here. It's going to be nice out tommorrow and was thinking about going out fishing. The ice has been off the lake for a week and the water looks clear even though this lake is make from a river and it is usually murky. My guess is that the water temperature will be around 43 degrees tommorrow. What do you guys think I should be throwing? The wind will probably be around 10mph north. I was thinking about hitting the shallows on the northern part of the lake where it warms up faster but not sure what to throw. If you guys have some good ideas let me know because I don't usually get out fishing this time of year. I'm fishing from northern midwest region. The primary forage is shad, sunfish/bluegil and crawfish.
where abouts are you from?
Old 03-06-09, 10:10 PM   #16
fish2

Send a message via AIM to fish2

just remember to fish slow

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.