Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-09-08, 10:50 PM   #51
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

im going to try this
Old 07-09-08, 11:42 PM   #52
Robbie R.
BassFishin.Com Member

Great !

Just remember........use heavier line........this bait is a bit heavier to throw.

I have used one for many years and never use a regular buzzer........have not in 15 years or so.

Robbie R.
Old 07-09-08, 11:58 PM   #53
mariner

do i have to have a cordell brand or can i use a rattle trap or rattlin rapala
Old 07-10-08, 12:43 AM   #54
Robbie R.
BassFishin.Com Member

I talked above about rattle traps..........they do not work well with these.

They won't wiggle well and the action is terrible.

Cordell makes them run perfect with lots of wiggle and rattle.

Rapala may work........but if it does not wiggle well and rattle well the hits will be less.

We tested cordell/bomber in a pool many years ago and you would not believe what it looks and sounds like under water......bomber lures used to make these cordells.

......(you have to crank a rattle trap almost 2 times as fast to get the same rattle and wiggle)

Robbie R.
Old 07-10-08, 04:54 AM   #55
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post

bet this can work with a spinner too.

I did this, with the assistance of a friend, two years ago.
Our approach differed in that we used a longer lower arm AND a length of P-Line CFX pure fluoro leader material. It showed promise.
The added distance between the blades and the lure made the rig less likely to roll or wander and by varying the length of the leader we could adjust the depth of the lure and that is advantageous. Using the fluoro leader made it less likely that the bass might spook. Instead, it is hoped that he'll see/hear the blade clattering over, then notice the free lunch trailing it but not directly under it.
One minor drawback was the occasional tumbling on the cast though that was rare and easily overcome by a smooth casting stroke and judicious thumbing. A more serious problem was that a 1/2 oz. Trap or Rattlin' Rap did not exert enough drag to keep the blade assembly from rolling to one side. So, the next testing (in my pool, before actual combat,) will see the replacement of the lipless lure with a small billed crank, various types being tried until the solution is in hand.
The latest theory is that the increased drag will solve the rolling problem and careful experimentation will lead to selecting a billed crank that won't drag the whole shebang beneath the surface. Will report.
BTW, in order to obtain the desired stiffness in the wire, I sacrificed a Boo-Yah 18" Bill Dance model buZZZZZZZbait!

L6

Last edited by Lancer6; 07-10-08 at 09:51 AM.
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 08:13 AM   #56
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Robbie is correct that some lipless cranks do not work well for this application. You need to use a lipless crank that has a wide nose such as a Frenzy.....the wider, the better.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 09:25 AM   #57
Whup
BassFishin.Com Member

Very cool Robbie.Thanks for this secret.I can't wait to try it out.
I love experimenting like this.
Whup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 09:53 AM   #58
Robbie R.
BassFishin.Com Member

Lancer6, my buzzers have shown much more than promise........

They have been used for about 15 years and caught many fish big and small.

Mine never rolls or turns........occasionally when I cast, maybe 1 out of 100 cast, the cordell will get hooked on the wire.

Mine are simple to make with no variation in wire except to bend a bit and tune as dexcribed in previous post.

This is a simple mod that works well for years and takes about 15 to 20 minutes to make and tune.

If your rolled it was not tuned right.

There is simply no roll if tuned right.

The 1/2 oz cordell is all I use........never any other brand because we tested this for hours and it ran and rattled the best.

I have about 10 of these made and have used them for many years without the first problem at all.

I just wish I had a camera or a copier so I could take pics of the lures and pics of the older polaroids of all the big fish these have caught.

The solution and promise of fish in the boat is do as described above...........simple and easy.

We tried lip type baits..................they pull down too much and sometimes SINK the triple wing blades.

This bait the way I have described and made acts like a small bird or duck that falls out of it's nest and is being chased by a smaller fish.........I do think that is why they hit it so well.

Please re-read my directions on how to make these so they won't roll or drag the bait under.

Tune the wings ! This is simple........bend the wire down and this baby will jump on top in the first half crank of the reel handle.........that is another reason I use high speed reels on this bait..........it never sinks.

My bait hit the water running.........as does live creatures that hit the water and are fighting for their life !

I'll be glad to help all I can..........

Robbie R.

Last edited by Robbie R.; 07-10-08 at 10:06 AM.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 10:12 AM   #59
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That is a great idea, I will go make one up. Thanks!
One question, is it easy to cut the lead off or might it be more easy to melt it off?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 10:27 AM   #60
Robbie R.
BassFishin.Com Member

Cut it starting from the sides........easy.

Side cutters work well........just gently start cutting until you reach the factory connection.

BIGBASSIN144, did this thread improve to your liking ? (smile)

Last edited by Robbie R.; 07-10-08 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-10-08, 10:45 AM   #61
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Bender, you may be able to melt the head off, but becareful, I'm sure the wire'll get hot.

BB
Old 07-10-08, 12:11 PM   #62
Beamer2
BassFishin.Com Member

Brilliant. I am going to BPS tomorrow and will pick the stuff up to make this rig. What a great idea.

Robbie - better call the patent department today. I know a good patent lawyer,lol.
Maybe even call cordell and they can manufacture them.

I can see it now, "2010 Bassmaster classic won by Aaron Martens with a "RR Buzz bait" made by Cotton Cordell which bagged him over 100 lbs for the tourney". Ha ha.
Beamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 12:43 PM   #63
Robbie R.
BassFishin.Com Member

Beamer2, don't get too excited.

This idea has been made and used for many years.

I think many older fishermen know about this or have heard about it.

In my expereience I would bet this bait would catch more fish than a lot of baits.

I remember a company in the mid to late 80s (?) that made and sold a wire apparatus with a blade and an easy unhook wire so you could attach the bait of your choice.

I saw my mod. used many years ago on guntersville lake along with many other weird mods and variations.

I have used all the mods now for many years and have been sharing the ideas for years.

Last edited by Robbie R.; 07-10-08 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 01:33 PM   #64
Fishnngolfn

Here are some pics. Robbie can you tell me if this is what it should look like?
It is a little difficult to remove the head. I suggest that you cut the hook off that way you don't accidentally hook yourself while cutting off the lead part. The wire has a slight upward turn up and it just slide off when I had sanded enough lead off with the Dremel. I would suggest then putting the Cordell Ratl Spot on the wire and then finish closing the loop with needle nose pliers. It is much easier than trying to do the split ring.

I had already curled the wire at this point. I uncurled it slightly to attach the Cordell.

Here is the finish product.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 01:53 PM   #65
Fishnngolfn

Another pic without bending the circle yet. When cutting the lead off, I found it easier to use the wire cutter part of some fat nose pliers. Make one cut just behind the turn down point that keeps the blade on the upper wire. The connection to the hook is right there. I made one cut and then used two sets of pliers to wiggle off the lead head. It only took a few seconds as opposed to the 5 minutes with the dremel. The wire that holds the blade is a lot stronger than the lead so don't worry about cutting through it.

I am wondering if you can buy the same strength wire in straight pieces and just buy the blades and the little spacer near the blades. This would definitely save in cost and it would enable you to make a longer length wire under the blade.
Old 07-10-08, 02:01 PM   #66
Fishnngolfn

Another finished Robbie Buzz. This one has a larger Cordell. I think this one is a 1/2 oz and the first one I posted is 1/4 oz.

Old 07-10-08, 02:10 PM   #67
Jim80

nice F&J they look sweet
Old 07-10-08, 02:24 PM   #68
Robbie R.
BassFishin.Com Member

The bottom looks very close, the top needs to be bent down towards the cordell.

I am sending you a more detailed pic of bends, sorry my first drawing was not too good.
Old 07-10-08, 02:44 PM   #69
Robbie R.
BassFishin.Com Member

Fishnngolfn, I sent you another drawing.

Make sure and bend wires where arrows are pointing.

This is approximate.........tune after you get to the lake.

Hold on to your rod.......KERCHUNK !!..........

The fun part of thse baits are they can be used anywhere.......they catch spots, smallies, LM and even blue gill..........yes I have actually caught BGs on it that were not as big as the bait.

Last edited by Robbie R.; 07-10-08 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 03:06 PM   #70
Robbie R.
BassFishin.Com Member

My opinion of how this bait works and why it works so well for me........the fish hears something that sounds just like BBs in a plastic bottle (to me) under water........they investigate and see an odd looking little fishy chasing what appears to be something swimming/fluttering or frantically trying to escape the little fishy chasing...........this results in one of those strikes by the big boy who says "what the heck".........he'll never see me coming up under him because he's too busy chasing that silly thing on top..........all of a sudden it's "KERCHUNK".........the triple wings go under.............no top explosion here !!
Old 07-10-08, 04:21 PM   #71
Fishnngolfn

Here is Robbie's pic of how the wires need to be tuned (or bent). The blue line is the approximate water line when fishing the "Robbie Lure". That is what I am going to call it when my buddies ask me what I am catching the hogs on.

Old 07-10-08, 05:01 PM   #72
Robbie R.
BassFishin.Com Member

Great ! Thanks pal...........not sure exactly how it runs according to the wires but the blue line is close.

I am usually too busy watching my bait to see all this stuff.

I was just thinking that I bet I have logged 100s of hours using this bait.

It's fun to use and will cast a mile.

It's great for casting on lone structure way back in the end of shallow coves and pulling it by the structure.

Just make sure and cast way beyond it and slowly bring it to it.

Again, make sure and use 12 to 14 lb test or bigger since this bait is a bit heavier but mostly to be able to haul them big hogs out.
Old 07-10-08, 05:52 PM   #73
Fishnngolfn

I have it on 15 or 30 lb braid (I forgot what was on my reel ).

I have it on my bait caster and am going to see how it runs in just a little bit. I am going to our retention pond. Mainly because it is really clear and I can see the bait really well. There are few 3 pounders in there and I may just pull them out. This is the first topwater bait that I am excited about.

Thanks again Robbie.
Old 07-10-08, 06:07 PM   #74
Robbie R.
BassFishin.Com Member

Gently lay that thing in there and bring it out.

If it don't jump up on top, don't panic, bend the wire on top a little more down........a little at a time.

It will work.

Try not to crash it in the water.......I use it almost like flippin.......gently hit the water and get it moving.

I can cast mine and it never sinks after many years of practice.
Old 07-10-08, 08:19 PM   #75
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

now THAT is a great idea there. think i saw this many years ago. forgot about it though. i have some cranks that just might work with this mod. wadda ya think a rapala will do? or maybe a fat lipless? endless possiblities i think. make it interchangeable?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.