Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-08, 12:35 PM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Pitching and Flipping Jigs vs. Plastics

When do you use jigs vs. soft plastics when pitching and flipping cover? Is there certain ways to tell, by the body of water? Thanks

Ryan
Old 11-08-08, 01:16 PM   #2
woody

As far as the body of water goes, water clarity and how well the fish can see your bait, would determine your choice in bait color. Your blacks and purples for darker water, green pumkin and natural colors for clearer water.

But as far as what will help you to decide between using jigs or plastics. The only answer that I can think of would be, well, the reaction or non-reaction of the fish themselves.

I know we've all heard that before. good luck
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 09:15 AM   #3
Cranebird
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Try both of them through the same water where you caught fish on the other. Sometimes your catch will increase when switching lures. My go to plastics are a 10" culprit worm and the baby paca craw. If the weighted plastic fails to produce where the jig is working, I throw a Bamboo stick/ weightless and stitch it slowly through the same area where I caught fish on the other presentation. Ivan
Old 11-09-08, 12:09 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I usually have both tied to a rod at the same time to start out with untill I know which is working better that day. But basically for me, this is what I use each for. I prefer the jig n pig in open pockets of weeds, around brush and timber, areas like that where there is some degree of open water. I like to use a soft plastic without too many appendages rigged T Rig style for punching through heavier weeds. For example, I used the beaver rigged T style with a 3/4 oz. tungston bullet weight pegged tightly to the beaver pitching to heavy floating weedmats and thick weedy cover. The heavy weight and smooth body of the beaver allowed me to easily and quickly penetrate heavy weedmats that a jig n pig would have a hard time getting through without hanging up and collecting debris.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 06:42 PM   #5
zooker

personally i use the jig when i need the bait to git down and stay down der..i normally just drag it along the bottom think carolina rig. texas rig i do alot of dead droppin and pitching to shallow objects.

zooker
Old 11-09-08, 06:47 PM   #6
JB

In colder waters you'll see more guys flipping with a pnj with pork, then after the temps warm up past the 60's more use just plastics ...give or take both will work under many water temperatures..
I will choose a pnj in some heavy cover and plastics in more open areas.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 10:19 AM   #7
doc

I prefer a jig, dunno why it just cathes fish
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 11:42 AM   #8
mont_lunker_hunter

I agree with Zooker. For me, when having to fish slow i prefer the jig. It stays down and the skirt has action even when moved only inches. This is one reason why the jig is so popular in cold water. With winter coming up, i'd go with jig.
Old 11-15-08, 08:04 AM   #9
Bassgrl81

Send a message via AIM to Bassgrl81 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassgrl81

As mentioned previously, whether to fish jigs or plastics (such as Netbaits Baby Pacas) varies. Jigs are also great around docks, branches, rocky points/areas. Both work great down here in SC during the winter...but quite frankly you have to figure out what the bas swant and how they are biting.
Old 11-16-08, 12:06 PM   #10
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassgrl81 View Post
...but quite frankly you have to figure out what the bass want and how they are biting.
That is the difficult part sometimes, especially when you can't get a bite.

Hey Trish, it's good to see you posting.Another fellow new yorker who has abandoned the crappy weather, huh ? Its snowing here again today.Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 12:07 PM   #11
JB

hey pnj, nice headlight in your album

Last edited by JB; 11-17-08 at 09:59 AM.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 09:56 AM   #12
MississippiBoy

Headlight? What headlight?

Oh, now I can barely make it out, now that I know what to look for...LOL
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 11:32 AM   #13
Bassgrl81

Send a message via AIM to Bassgrl81 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassgrl81

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
That is the difficult part sometimes, especially when you can't get a bite.

Hey Trish, it's good to see you posting.Another fellow new yorker who has abandoned the crappy weather, huh ? Its snowing here again today.Ivan

Aww, thanks! It's about 60 degrees here and was frosty this morning! I do get to use my ice scraper sometimes!
Old 11-17-08, 09:45 PM   #14
pig n jig

As of the last few years,I've been pitching a ugly otter bait alot more.Its a great compact lure. leave tail as is, 4" Florida Five-0 color.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 05:52 PM   #15
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I prefer a Jig in colder water, say 50 degrees and less. Above and I prefer to pitch Tex-Rigged plastics along weed edges and in any situation where the plastics appendages shouldn't get hung up. I pitch a jig into cover and laydowns. Rock walls get either. It just depends on what the Bass prefer that day. Given a choice, I much prefer to pitch a Ugly Otter or Brush Hog over a 1/2 oz or bigger jig. Guess it's just a confidence thing.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 12:33 PM   #16
Jigger

I'll switch to a soft plastic Texas rigged with the weight pegged when I'm in really thick brush like planted brush piles consisting of cedar trees. Although jigs are "fairly" snag free, they aren't nearly as snag free as a T-rigged plastic with the weight pegged.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.