Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-18-08, 02:32 AM   #1
weezymagic
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic
Default spooling baitcasters

i know this is probably a dumb question but im new to baitcasters

Is it easy to spool a baitcaster?
weezymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 03:19 AM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Not a dumb question at all. Succinctly put, let's just say it is easier (ie, more convenient) to spool than a spinning reel.
Old 11-18-08, 03:46 AM   #3
weezymagic

how easy is it?
Old 11-18-08, 05:12 AM   #4
islandbass

Sorry, I thought you just wanted to know if it is hard or not.

I highly recommend getting a line spooling tool. There are a variety of types like these:

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0003204113107a.shtml
There are 3 types on the screen at the above link.

If you don’t have one, it can still be done. Just insert a pencil through the spool’s center hole and keep it between your feet.

Before starting learn how to tie the arbor knot. This is the knot that some use to attach the line to the spool’s arbor. Some folks use tape, but I prefer to use the arbor knot.

Let us assume that the reel’s spool is empty.

With your reel attached to your rod, feed the line through the at least the rod guide closest to the reel. I like to use at least the first two to three guides closest to the reel.

You don’t have to use the rod guides but I do because it helps to keep the line straight and eliminates the line rubbing on anything other than the guides.

Feed the line through the reel’s line guide. This is the little hole that moves back and forth when you turn the handle.

Tie the arbor knot around the spool.

You are now ready to wind some line. You might find it easier to be sitting down.

Hold the your rod and reel directly in front of you and place the spool on the floor also in front of you with your feet on the pencil. You might find it easier to have someone to hold the spool vs. holding your feet and that is definitely the better option.

Set your drag tight to prevent slipping.

Use your feet to help keep the line taut and start cranking the line on. I like to start with the line in the middle of the spool.

Add the line until the spool is filled to about 1/8” from the top. This is the general rule of thumb. My personal preference is close to 1/16”.

Bam! You’re done.

It is imperative that you keep the spool, the rod and reel in direct line if you wish to prevent the placing line on the spool unevenly. While unevenly placed line won’t affect casting or performance, it is unsightly to most.

A few last things:

The key to spooling on line well is to maintain a good amount of tension while adding the line. Not too much and not too little. Just think of the baby bear… Everything for him was just right.

Spooling line is definitely easier to do with a tool or help with someone holding the spool vs. using your feet, or better yet, you can devise a way to have it held for you. Let your creativity come up with something. For example, I got tired of holding 2-3 rods in with two hands while negotiating bushes and other foliage so I devised a rod quiver.

With it, I can now carry up to 3 rods in one hand. Creativity works.

If you buy line from a fishing store, many of them might offer to spool the line for you for free. It is another good option. Good luck!
Old 11-18-08, 05:29 AM   #5
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezymagic View Post
how easy is it?
So easy you'll give up women, drinking, football, Monopoly, raising otters, accordion repair and go door-to-door asking total strangers if they have any baitcasting reels you can spool for them at no charge. Really!
Why, once upon a time, Rebbasser was on a business trip and his car broke down on a dark and stormy night. He made his way to a distant farmhouse where the farmer told him he could spend the night. The farmer also said Reb would have to sleep with his three lovely daughters (space constraints, as it were.) Reb replied "Oh, too bad. I was hoping you had three lovely baitcasters that need spooling. How far is it to the next farmhouse?"

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 11:37 AM   #6
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post
So easy you'll give up women, drinking, football, Monopoly, raising otters, accordion repair and go door-to-door asking total strangers if they have any baitcasting reels you can spool for them at no charge. Really!
Why, once upon a time, Rebbasser was on a business trip and his car broke down on a dark and stormy night. He made his way to a distant farmhouse where the farmer told him he could spend the night. The farmer also said Reb would have to sleep with his three lovely daughters (space constraints, as it were.) Reb replied "Oh, too bad. I was hoping you had three lovely baitcasters that need spooling. How far is it to the next farmhouse?"

Lancer6
I just about spit out my coffee and choked reading this. Humor is greatly appreciated on a cloudy and crappy looking day in Seattle. Thanks!
Old 11-18-08, 04:57 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I highly reccomend not wasting money on the line spooling stations or whatever, and get yourself a phonebook. A big one preferabbly, or two. the one I use is fairly heavy, being in one of the bigger cities in Ohio. So lay your spool on the ground behind the phonebook, and put the line inbetween the pages, probably 3/4 of the way to the bottom. Then spool as you normally would. Works for spinning reels as well. I prefer to put the line through all the guides now, cause it saves me work when I'm done. And remember, the fuller the spool, the better your baitcaster will work.

BB
Old 11-18-08, 05:00 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Should have read all the posts, that was hilarious lancer.

BB
Old 11-18-08, 05:38 PM   #9
Joel

Personally, I prefer the Berkley line spooler only for Baitcaster reels. I made one modification to mine by drilling a hole half way between the line holder and the reel holder. I then bolted in a large eye bolt and adjusted it so that the eye lined up with line bracket. I run the line through this from the spool to the reel. I find that it helps in keeping the line being spooled on evenly. I use a plain old shoe lace knot to attach the line to the spool. Even tape will work as you'll never get down far enough to be concerned about the line slipping or even being pulled off. If you do, then you should have respooled a long time ago. I spool up with just enough tension to keep the line tight on the spool, but not overly tight. Here, practice makes perfect.

I'm a braid man, and most of my baitcasters are spooled with Sufix Braid. To that effect use a backing of Andies mono. I tend to choose a diameter as close to the dia of the braid I will be putting on. I use a Albright knot to attach the Braid to the backing. I usually only spool 75 yards of braid onto my reels and the rest is backing. That way I can get two reels spooled up with each spool of Braid.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 06:23 PM   #10
zooker

Quote:

Lancer6
omg lancer made a funny..i CAN'T wait for reb to see this thread..

zooker
Old 11-18-08, 06:34 PM   #11
Jim80

Quote:

Lancer6
LMAO lancer damn near fell out the chair I was laughing so hard .

Jim
Old 11-18-08, 06:45 PM   #12
skeeter944

hahahaha lancer that was hilarious!!! rofl hahaha
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 07:22 PM   #13
weezymagic

so in summary, arbor knot, spool like normal. ok
Old 11-18-08, 07:26 PM   #14
JB

......I just love it when lancers hot toddy and meds kick in
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 10:19 AM   #15
woody

Hey Lancer, you sure do have a way with words...
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 11:05 AM   #16
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Hey Lancer, you sure do have a way with words...
Thanks, Woody, but I must give credit where due.

I owe it all to Ms. Plugg, my Senior English teacher. Those special tutoring sessions at the No-Tell Motel really paid off once we got past the basic vocabulary..."Ohhhhhhh....Ahhhhhhh....Mmmmmmmm.... Faster!....Slowerrrrrr....Was it good fer yew too?" and "You want me to do WHAT??? Hey, just cause trumpeters can triple-tongue doesn't mean..." (Yes, it DOES!)

LancerTheGratefulSix
Old 11-19-08, 11:28 AM   #17
islandbass

Quote:
Thanks, Woody, but I must give credit where due.

I owe it all to Ms. Plugg, my Senior English teacher. Those special tutoring sessions at the No-Tell Motel really paid off once we got past the basic vocabulary..."Ohhhhhhh....Ahhhhhhh....Mmmmmmmm.... Faster!....Slowerrrrrr....Was it good fer yew too?" and "You want me to do WHAT??? Hey, just cause trumpeters can triple-tongue doesn't mean..." (Yes, it DOES!)

LancerTheGratefulSix
Good to see you got something from English class. The thought has crossed my mind to ask about the lessons you had with your teacher when you got to tongue twisters.
Old 11-19-08, 12:24 PM   #18
Jigger

1.Start at top of rod and thread line through all line guides and through the line guide on the reel.
2.Run line around spool of reel and tie arbor knot.
3.Rip a length of Duck tape in half length wise and wrap around end of a pencil. You'll use the pencil to stick into the hole on the line spool. The duck tape on one end keeps the spool from coming off.
4.Stick pencil with spool of line on it into a heavy book like a dictionary or phone book and hang it off the end of a table.
5.Wind line on by turning handle with right hand (assuming you have a right handed reel) and keep tension on the line with left hand.

It's important to keep tension on the line and important not to overspool the line. 1/8 in. from top of spool is about right. Too much line and you have backlash problems.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-08, 09:16 AM   #19
Lancer6

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
1.Start at top of rod and thread line through all line guides and through the line guide on the reel.
2.Run line around spool of reel and tie arbor knot.
3.Rip a length of Duck tape in half length wise and wrap around end of a pencil. You'll use the pencil to stick into the hole on the line spool. The duck tape on one end keeps the spool from coming off.
4.Stick pencil with spool of line on it into a heavy book like a dictionary or phone book and hang it off the end of a table.
5.Wind line on by turning handle with right hand (assuming you have a right handed reel) and keep tension on the line with left hand.

It's important to keep tension on the line and important not to overspool the line. 1/8 in. from top of spool is about right. Too much line and you have backlash problems.
Jiggles,

We worked hard...very hard...to turn a serious thread into the usual farce and you, you heartless poltroon, hadda go and give a straight answer. Oh, the humanity! Sniff

Signed:
"Heartbroken in San Antonio" (Texiz)
Old 11-29-08, 10:22 AM   #20
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I highly reccomend not wasting money on the line spooling stations or whatever, and get yourself a phonebook. A big one preferabbly, or two. the one I use is fairly heavy, being in one of the bigger cities in Ohio. So lay your spool on the ground behind the phonebook, and put the line inbetween the pages, probably 3/4 of the way to the bottom. Then spool as you normally would. Works for spinning reels as well. I prefer to put the line through all the guides now, cause it saves me work when I'm done. And remember, the fuller the spool, the better your baitcaster will work.

BB

BB, the problem with that suggestion (and it was a good one!) is that now-a-days most folks rely on the internet phone books and don't even keep the old phone books anymore! I don't subscribe to buying special line spooling stations either. I use a pencil or a screwdriver, or the new Power Pro packages are made for spooling the line straight from the box. I typically squeeze the line between thumb and finger through an old rag. this cleans the powder and residue from the line, and also creates some additional friction.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.