Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-20-08, 04:27 AM   #1
weezymagic
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic
Default tackle?

ok guys, hows this sound for my tackle for next year...

10x spinners
10x buzzbaits
15x assorted topwaters
05x shallow crankbaits
05x medium crankbaits
05x deep crankbaits
20x jigs traditional
05x football jigs
25x trailers
20x senkos
05x soft plastics
10x swimbaits
50x hooks/weights (idk how many i have, so i said 50)

how do you guys like it
weezymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 08:07 AM   #2
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

10x spinners OK, so long as you have the basics. Start with 3/8-1/2 oz in White, Chartreuse/White, and Blue/White with willow leaf blades. Add Strike King Midnight Specials (single Colorado blade) if you plan to fish at night/pre-dawn. Later, add some in Bluegill or Perch and, especially for Spring, something with red/orange/brown mix.
10x buzzbaits Too many for now, especially since the $$$ might better be spent on other types. I recommend 1/2 oz in White, Black, Chartreuse/White (2 of the first two, one of the Black) with silver/chrome blades and maybe one each of White and Chart/White in a smaller size.
15x assorted topwaters Try this: Two Tiny Torpedos, one in Clear, one in Chrome/Blue Back (one spare each). Standard size Pop 'R in the same colors plus one in Baby Bass. Then, add two Super Spook Jr.s with one being Chrome/Blue Back.
05x shallow crankbaits OK so far.
05x medium crankbaits Ditto.
05x deep crankbaits Yep, but in all sizes be certain to have Shad finish, Chartreuse/Black Back, Red or Brown Crawfish, Green Crawfish, and Tilapia or Bluegill, depending on whether tilapia are present.
20x jigs traditional I don't know what you mean by "traditional" but start with 1/2 oz and have Watermelon, Green Pumpking, Peanut Butter/Jelly, Black/Blue, and some sort of crawfish imitation involving Red/Brown/Orange.
05x football jigs Ditto, but shift the balance of "football" v. "tradtional" depending on cover, bottom conditions, etc.
25x trailers Paca Craws in various color, or some similar trailer.
20x senkos Since Senkos and the knockoffs come in 8-10 packs, you'd be limited to only two colors. Wrong! We can discuss via PM or phone. The Wave TikiStik costs far less than the original Senko and offers a great variety of colors. Start with the 5" in either brand AND you may want the Senko brand in a couple of their 4" color offerings. The 4" YUM Dinger is good too, as are the YUM 5". Avoid the 4" Tiki...too fragile.
05x soft plastics Yew gotta be kidding! We need to talk.
10x swimbaits Too few OR too many, depending on whether you refer to soft or hard swimbaits. We can work that out.
50x hooks/weights (idk how many i have, so i said 50) With the variety of soft plastics, as to type and size, you'll be accumulating and using, you're going to need a wide variety of hooks as to size and configuration. We can go into greater detail later, if you wish. However, for 6"-7" worms, 4"-5" Senko-types, you can get by on no more than three or four sizes/types.
As for weights, start with 1/16, 3/16, 1/4, 3/8, and a few 5/8, 1/2 for now and buy the lead, not the far more costly tungsten, until you become more skilled and therefore less likely to break off. By ALL means buy some GLASS beads in Red, Black, and Green as well as some Peg-Its or a similar product.

how do you guys like it[/quote] NOW I like it.

Weezy, I assume you are new to the game we love. You'll be receiving advice from a lot of folks and many will disagree with others. That's OK so long as you remember that, for some, it's an ego thing to "recruit" newbies to one's way of doing things. We are, after all, human.
What I have offered is what I believe, preach, and practice but I think you might benefit to a great extent by seeking forums populated by those who fish YOUR waters. There are forums that are run by and for Mizzou types and THEY are likely to be your best source of information and aid.
That said, please don't leave this place; Simply expand your horizons and learn from all sites. Virtually all of us here visit more than one site each day and site owners know and understand that. It's like the owner of a shoe store told me when I noted that yet another shoe store was opening in the mall where his shop was located. "Bring 'em on! When women shop for shoes they hit places where there are a lot of shoe stores and we all get a piece of the foot...errr...PIE!"

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 08:44 AM   #3
Brute
BassFishin.Com Member

Good advice Lancer6

Brute
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 02:01 PM   #4
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

05x shallow crankbaits
05x medium crankbaits
05x deep crankbaits

Yikes! You are only going with 15% in cranks. I know that I would not feel comfortable leaving the house with only a small percentage of cranks. To begin with, they help find fish. Secondly, they catch fish. And third, if you are throwing them correctly (under docks, into trees and other structure, and banging rocks), you will need doubles and triples of your favorites.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 02:25 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

looks ok so far but but i agree with w2b, if i were going to add anything it would be in the crankbait, and football jig department. you can get on a good pattern with either one and you don't want to run out.
Old 11-20-08, 05:01 PM   #6
JB

The most important thing to ask I'd say is what kind, size, and color to pick rather than just tons of tackle that is from one store.
We all have dozens of crankbaits and probably only use or have caught fish on 10 of them, so you may want to ask or search the forum for lures that are proven winners.
If you look at my tacklebox, the same one I've have for over 20 years, I carry about 50 spinnerbait, only 2-3 buzzbaits, about 150 crankbaits, dozen jigs, and everybit of 30-40 packs of plastics, including senko, a variety of craw bugs, worms and grubs.

If I was starting out I'd still get about a dozen spinner baits, couple of buzzbaits, all the plastics you can, and get a dozen or two crankbaits.
I'd ask what each member likes in brand and size and color, make a list and add items as you can.
Each item goes from 4-6 bucks on average, so doing the math, its hard to get it all at once..just have a game plan.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 05:06 PM   #7
Terminator
BassFishin.Com Member

Setup looks good overall, but I agree with these guys. I would scale back on buzzers and topwaters and add some cranks. One good thing about topwater baits is that you're not as likely to loose them. You really only need 3 or 4 buzzbaits and a few spooks/poppers/torpedos to get by.

For cranks, don't be afraid to have multiples of your favorites in the same color. You will always want to have spares on hand. Look for patterns in shad, chartreuse/blue-back (or black-back), firetiger, and crawfish. I would also suggest you get a plug-knocker, that's the best $12 fishing investment you'll ever make.

Good luck!
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 05:24 PM   #8
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
05x shallow crankbaits
05x medium crankbaits
05x deep crankbaits

Yikes! You are only going with 15% in cranks. I know that I would not feel comfortable leaving the house with only a small percentage of cranks. To begin with, they help find fish. Secondly, they catch fish. And third, if you are throwing them correctly (under docks, into trees and other structure, and banging rocks), you will need doubles and triples of your favorites.
it is a rare thing for a new guy to go deep seeing he is likely on the bank...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
would also suggest you get a plug-knocker, that's the best $12 fishing investment you'll ever make.

plug knocker for sure.. my advice on getting one would be the one with a rope -often wrapped on a marker bouye- i have 3 kinds but i have several boats..

remember guys bank fishing is a tad differant from boat fishing..you lose more lures..

since you do lose lures.. ifin your scared to lose them don't use them..

zooker
Old 11-20-08, 08:07 PM   #9
bamabassman

i am inclined to agree with zooker here folks. bank fishing is a LOT different from boat fishing. maybe you should get a few more shallow water lures. just my 2 cents, which ain't worth much.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 08:43 PM   #10
Wishing2BFishing

"it is a rare thing for a new guy to go deep seeing he is likely on the bank..."

Very true, but you still need some DT-4s, DT-6s, Ima Roumbas, and Manns -1.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 09:55 PM   #11
Jim80

I think you should bulk up on the cranks to , but also add more plastics diff colors and lengths of worms and senko type baits ( yum dinger fan myself) and there is also a 3 inch senko that I like a lot as well . 3 buzzbaits is more than enough to start with 1 white, 1 black , 1 white/chartreuse and I don't think you can own enough spinners but thats just me , I would also add a couple jointed cranks .

Jim
Old 11-21-08, 12:06 AM   #12
carolina-rig-01

if you can't afford to go and buy a bunch of stuff all at one time that is fine. just add to it what you can when you can. i have a boat, garage, and attic full of fishing stuff that i have bought over the years. i like to have a buying spree every now and then but it usually is best when i pick a certain type of bait and keep buying them until i feel like i am stocked up enough to move on to another type of bait. sounds like a pretty fair start but just saying, don't feel like you have to go crazy and buy a bunch of stuff all at once.
Old 11-21-08, 04:14 AM   #13
islandbass

Hmm... The bait monkey is strong in this one.
Old 11-21-08, 05:50 AM   #14
weezymagic
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic

i have a lot of topwaters because there are so many, id like to have a good variety. i have few cranks because i dont get the chance (bank fisherman...for now) to use them that often. and this list isnt like the best list of the only things i need. but i figure that this would be a great start and let me start to hone (how do you spell it?) my techniques and abilities, slowly but surely, with each type.

i am constintly on atleast 5 fishing forums at once. this one ic currently one of my favorite so dont worry bout me leaving. everyone has been a great help but i think lancer is the winner of this thread with the most info

OT- could someone please pm me a message of how the plug knocker works. ive read about it but dont fully get it.
weezymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 09:52 AM   #15
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post

Yeeeessssss....I feel a disturbance in the Force....
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 10:04 AM   #16
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
O.K... Yoda-bass

"strong in this one, the bait monkey is. hmmm"
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 12:48 PM   #17
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezymagic View Post
i have a lot of topwaters because there are so many, id like to have a good variety.
There are basically:

Wobblers ( ex Jitterbug )
Poppers/Chuggers ( ex Hula Popper, Chug Bug )
Prop Baits ( ex Heddon Torpedo )
Walk The Dog ( ex Zara Spook )
Buzzbaits
Wake baits

So in reality you don´t need a lot of them, the more you have the more confusing it gets and even though I´m a tackle junky and a BaitMonkey acolite after so many years of fishing and tackle junkiness I can tell you, you don´t need to carry tons of them, with one of each type is more than enough, of course some are kooler than others and some are easier to use than others ( ex Zara Spook vs Sammy ), which one you choose ( brand ) is actually more a matter of personal preference and how deep your pocket is.

I own tons of topwaters, some are older than dirt, I still catch fish with that pretty old & beat up Jitterbug nowdays as I used to catch 20 years ago even though I´ve got some really kool looking wobblers ( jitterbug type ) like this one:

My foot patrol bag only has 6 topwaters, one of each type:

1 Jitterbug
1 Hula Popper
1 Sammy
1 Baby Torpedo
1 Ima Roumba
1 Buzzbait

4 out of 6 pretty old school.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 04:41 PM   #18
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

10x spinners: 3/8 & 1/2 oz combo blades. Others gave you the basic colors
10x buzzbaits: All I carry is 2 white, 2 Chartreuse, & 1 black. All Cavatrons
15x assorted topwaters: Way too many. 3 Spook jrs, & 3 Poppers are plenty
05x shallow crankbaits: fine
05x medium crankbaits: fine
05x deep crankbaits: fine
20x jigs traditional: 1/4, 3/8, & 1/2 Blue/black, Green/Brown
05x football jigs: 3/4 oz same colors as above
25x trailers: more then enough. Just make sure not all are action types
20x senkos: Stickbaits: 4,5,6,7, & 10 inch. includes finesse for Drop shot. Also curly tail worms. Only colors I use are Green Pumpkin, Watermellon/bk flake, and June bug/flake.
05x soft plastics: close. I use single and tiwn tail grubs, 4 inch ugly otters, Baby Brush Hogs, Brush hogs, 6 inch lizards.
10x swimbaits: fine
50x hooks/weights (idk how many i have, so i said 50) Jusst make sure you have the proper hook for every presentation you intend to use. Same for weigth types and in all wts.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 06:13 PM   #19
Jim80

dude don't let fishing from the bank keep you from throwing a crank just cast out parallel from the bank and you'll be fine stick to medium dives and you should be fine , contact is your goal with a crank you want to hit the bottom to kick up a mud trail .

Jim

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.