Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-23-08, 04:34 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Kevin , Rod Guide ?

I used your line guide , and like it. How about a rod guide set up the same way ? That could be useful as well.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-08, 04:51 PM   #2
TravisRush
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I agree!!!
TravisRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-08, 06:26 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

DITTO ON THE ROD GUIDE!! and you could lso add a rel to it too kevin.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-08, 09:15 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

i think it would be a good idea, but it may be too general seeing as many rods can work for the same things and mostly depends on personal preference. I know line is personal prefernece too, but there aren't nearly as many choices as rods. But it would be cool to have a general idea of rods are good for what techniques, as far as power, action, and length go.

BB
Old 11-23-08, 09:38 PM   #5
CMorg

Thats exactly what I was thinking Bigbassin..
Old 11-23-08, 09:45 PM   #6
JB

Buzzbaits and spinnerbaits:
With buzzbaits and spinnerbaits, you will be casting continuously, so a lightweight rod is important. Sensitivity is also essential because many times the fish will bump the blades prior to striking. A 6-foot rod will give a little more casting accuracy, but a 7-foot rod will give you more hooksetting power, leverage and casting distance. A fiberglass rod will give the fish time to inhale the bait before you set the hook. These baits use a single hook, allowing you to put more pressure on the fish during the fight so a medium-action rod would allow enough power to land the fish. The tip needs be flexible enough to cast the lure accurately.
Best rod: Lightweight, sensitive, 6 1/2-foot- to 7-foot rod with a medium action and a medium/soft tip.

Crankbaits and topwater lures:
As spinnerbaits, crankbaits and topwater lures require continuous casting, so weight is an important factor. Sensitivity is also important, not so much for topwater but for cranking. After you get accustomed to the bait you're using, a sensitive rod will help you determine what type of structure the bait is contacting. If the fish are on a hard clay bottom and you know your bait is digging into the mud then you know you are in the wrong location.
A 7-foot rod is good for distance and for casting larger baits. A 6- to 6 1/2-foot rod is more accurate, so you have to adjust the rod length to the type of fishing you do. Crankbait and topwater rods should be made of fiberglass, which allows the fish time to inhale the bait before you set the hook. The treble hooks on crankbaits and topwater lures can dislodge if you apply too much pressure. The added flex of a fiberglass rod will keep the hooks from coming unbuttoned.
A medium action rod is usually fine so long as the rod has enough backbone to get a good hookset and flexible enough to cast the lure you are using. A 1/8-ounce lure needs a light tip while a 314-ounce lure requires a medium tip.
Best rod: A lightweight, sensitive, 6- to 7-foot fiberglass rod with a medium action tip or a light action tip, depending on the weight of the lure.

Worms and jigs:
As worm fishing varies from east to west, this example will be for fishing small worms 4 to 6 inches, and smaller finesse jigs in water from 5 to 60 feet deep.
When fishing deep water, the two most important factors are sensitivity and weight. Sensitivity is crucial to feel the more subtle bites and weight is important because you will be holding the rod up in the 9 to 10 o'clock positions for long periods of time.
Use a 6 1/2- to 7 1/2-foot rod, depending on your preference and type of structure you are fishing. I prefer a 6 1/2-footer when fishing 20 to 60 feet deep, and a 7 1/2-footer when fishing 5 to 20 feet deep. Graphite rods are lighter, more sensitive and faster than most fiberglass rods. You want a fast rod with a medium backbone to get a good, fast, hookset. It is important to have a soft enough tip to maintain tension on the fish at all times. Many times, when you hook a fish, only the point of the hook will be embedded and unless you apply enough tension, you can get slack in the line and easily loose the fish when it gets close to the boat.
Best rod: A lightweight, highly sensitive rod, 6 1/2 feet to 7 1/2 feet, made of graphite with a medium action and a medium light tip.

Flipping and pitching:
Flipping requires you to hold the rod near the nine o'clock position and making a pendulum motion. Weight is vital when holding the rod up for extended periods of time. Flipping rods are designed for removing fish from heavy cover in shallow water.
The recommended size would be from 7- to 8-feet long (many tournament circuits do not allow rods longer than 8-feet). A good choice would be a 7 1/2-foot rod because it is a little easier to pitch the baits. Pitching and flipping go together. Look at the tip, make sure it has some flexibility. This flexibility will make it easier for the angler to make quiet entries into the water and makes pitching much simpler when necessary.
Your flipping stick should be made of lightweight graphite and have a stiff backbone to pull those fish out of heavy cover. While sensitivity is important, usually you will see the strike long before you feet it.
Best rod: A lightweight 7 112-foot graphite rod with a stiff backbone and a medium fast tip.
Choosing the correct rod will enhance your fishing and make each trip more successful. Increase your hooksets and you'll catch more fish. Using these tips will also save you money in the long run by keeping you from purchasing rods that have little purpose in your arsenal. The right rod CAN make a difference. Give it a try!
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-08, 10:56 PM   #7
CMorg

Awsome JB , thanks..
Old 11-24-08, 11:33 AM   #8
woody

Question

JB, where do you find the time aside from all your photoshopping. LOL!
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 12:50 PM   #9
JB

woodstier,

I try to get in a lil pc time while cookin or yakin to zooker on da phone...
Old 11-24-08, 07:47 PM   #10
bamabassman

hahahaha, what jb means while he LISTENS TO ZOOKER. LMAO. KIDDING ZOOKER!!!
Old 11-24-08, 07:53 PM   #11
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

As others have said, rod selection is equally subjective as it's objective. Since 99% of my fishing is done from any one of 6 rowboats on the NYC reservoir system, I need to carry all my gear to and from the car to the boat, which isn't always a easy walk. I and my fishing partner bring a max of 7 setups each at any one time, switching setups as season and body of water dictates. Water clarity goes from clear to stained.

Here's a break down of Rod/reels/line/leader that I use as per application.

Drop Shot: 6 1/2 ML F action/ Shimano 2500 Stradic/10lb Power Pro/leader 8 lb Mono
Finesse Tx-posed plastics: 7'0" M F action/Shimano 2500 Stradic/10lb Power Pro/8lb Mono leader.
Stickbaits/Flukes: 7'0" MH F action/ Daiwa 2500 Capricorn/10 lb Power Pro/leader 8 lb Mono leader
hard Jerkbbaits/Shallow Crankbaits/Lipless Crankbaits: 6 1/2 M F action/Shimano 2500 Stradic/10 lb Power Pro/10 lb Mono leader

Deep Crankbaits: Falcon 7'0" crankbait stick/Daiwa Advantage 150A 5.2-1 ratio/30 lb Sufix Braid/leader 12 lb Mono
Spinnerbaits/Buzzbaits/6 1/2 M M action/Daiwa Advantage 153HST 6.3-1 ratio/30 lb Sufix Braid/no leader. Black magic marker for 1st 6 ft.
Tx Posed plastics: 7'0" M F action/Daiwa Advantage 150A 6.3-1/30 lb Sufix Braid/14 lb mono leader
Carolina Rig/ 7'0" MH F action/ Abu Garcia C3 5500/30 lb Sufix Braid/home made Carolina rig/3-5 ft 12 lb Mono leader
Jigs: 1/2 oz & up: 7'0" MH F action/Daiwa Advantage 150A 6.3-1/ 50 lb Power Pro/ 14-17 lb mono leader

Last edited by Joel; 11-24-08 at 07:59 PM.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 09:03 PM   #12
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hahahaha, what jb means while he LISTENS TO ZOOKER. LMAO. KIDDING ZOOKER!!!
No, You hit the nail right on the head.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 09:56 PM   #13
zooker

i multi task grill and talk on the phone...unless i am calling smitty then i don't plan doing much for an HOUR...

of course ifin bama would anty up his number i'd give him a call...

zooker
Old 11-24-08, 10:44 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd be willing to trade it for a stien or two.

BB

Old 11-24-08, 11:06 PM   #15
CMorg

Yeah , I wish I was a favorite on here , maybe I could get a stien as well...
Old 11-25-08, 09:55 AM   #16
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i multi task grill and talk on the phone...unless i am calling smitty then i don't plan doing much for an HOUR...

of course ifin bama would anty up his number i'd give him a call...

zooker
How much would you be willing to pay for it?
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 09:42 PM   #17
bamabassman

zooker i thought you HAD my number already. for real. i just didn't think i was worthy enough to recieve a call. i'll send it ya buddy, no problem. and don't pay a PENNY to mb. he would give you lisa's number to mess with me, lmao.
Old 11-25-08, 09:55 PM   #18
bamabassman

oh yea zooker, i'll give ya mb's number for FREE!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-08, 10:39 PM   #19
zooker

why so i can raze him about the broke back III thing jb hooked up for ya. or sippi in a blonde wig..yeah i seen it funny as hell too...

sippi
three words "right, click, save" i'll have lots of fun at a later date...

zooker
Old 11-25-08, 10:47 PM   #20
bamabassman

yea zooker, get his wife on the phone and tell her about his girlfriend, hahahahahahha.
Old 11-25-08, 10:47 PM   #21
bamabassman

or girlfriend'sssssssssssssssss, lmao.
Old 11-26-08, 05:15 PM   #22
zooker

remember bama i do have the gall to actually do that..

why does she know about the hollow pine tree??

zooker
Old 11-26-08, 07:13 PM   #23
bamabassman

hahahahahaha.
Old 11-26-08, 08:45 PM   #24
JB

trust me zooker will talk to the wife no problemo, ususally shes
just sayin "he's out on the bike" call back rofl
Old 11-26-08, 09:57 PM   #25
zooker

are you wanting me to put in a good word fer ya jb??

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.