Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-10-09, 05:33 PM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Time to Get Crankin’ – Making them, that is.

Well, I got inspired by a someone to give crankbait making a shot. I have seen some tutorials in the past, but that was quite a while back. I had some scrap balsa around and decided to use it. I figured if balsa good enough for Rapala, it ought to be for me.

This was the starting block, which I cut in half length-wise.

I cut it in half like below and soon learned that I could probably get two cranks from that one half. I also traced a basic shape.

Next, I cut out the shapes and then carved out the shapes by eyeballing.

The first one I did with mostly sandpaper which seemed really slow and not very precise. Some thought on approaching the second one led me to try carving the basic shape with a hobby knife. The latter was definitely faster, but more care was needed to not shave off too much at one time.

In the photo above, the one on the right is the first one that was carved.

So far, so good. I need to figure out how much weight is needed, which I have no clue.

-ib
Old 06-10-09, 05:56 PM   #2
aikenyounggun

thats pretty cool.... hope they work out and catch some fish
Old 06-10-09, 08:42 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

now that looks good man. i have been thinking of making cranks too. but would send them off to be painted seeing that i ain't ANY good at that. but i like what you have done so far. now how do you insert the weights? and where?
Old 06-10-09, 08:46 PM   #4
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Bama, have you tried an airbrush? you can usually get a kit for like 20 bucks at walmart and it is pretty easy to use.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 08:48 PM   #5
bamabassman

bassin...hahahaha. buddy, i can't paint the house with a roller. lmao. i mean it man, i have tried to paint with a spray gun on an old truck once. looked like cow crap, hahahahaha. trust me when i say that IF i ever start to make cranks or any type of lure, i ain't gonna do the painting. unless it is just for me to use. i would be embarressed to give a crank that i tried to paint. hahahahaha.
Old 06-10-09, 08:50 PM   #6
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Haha, thats cool. At least you admit it and focus your strengths elsewhere. .
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 08:59 PM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

So far, so good, ib.
bama, the basic technique of painting isn't all that hard to learn, although it does take some practice. Don't spray too close, keep your wrist straight, figure out the correct speed and so on. When painting a reasonably small area, turn the sprayer on BEFORE the spray reaches the item and turn it off AFTER it's gone on past
Don't know how a crankbait would turn out for me though lol.
Old 06-10-09, 09:05 PM   #8
bamabassman

thanks mallen, but you see.... now i understand the technique and all. and when i tried it..... my arm and hand doesn't respond well to what my brain is telling it, hahahahaha. practice makes perfect i know. maybe i'll try again. need to repaint my car trailer anyway. but it'll have to wait till next year. closed on the house today and packing up. making a new thread on it tonight.
Old 06-10-09, 09:09 PM   #9
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
thanks mallen, but you see.... now i understand the technique and all. and when i tried it..... my arm and hand doesn't respond well to what my brain is telling it, hahahahaha. practice makes perfect i know. maybe i'll try again. need to repaint my car trailer anyway. but it'll have to wait till next year. closed on the house today and packing up. making a new thread on it tonight.
In my case, it's usually my mouth and brain that don't really speak the same language lol.
I'll be lookin for that thread
Old 06-10-09, 10:32 PM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

That's pretty cool IB. Don't be like the fat kid carving the wooden pickle in Bad Santa though. Be careful with that blade.
Old 06-10-09, 11:09 PM   #11
66KingFisher

I recently got interested in repainting some old crankbaits, and I started searching for info on the subject of "airbrushing lures"....which led me to a couple of tackle making forums....being the research fanatic that I am, I began reading thru all the threads about pouring plastics, making wire baits, as well as making crankbaits and swimbaits, and I have found myself with the itch to create my own, as well as do custom painted crankbaits for others that can't paint like Bama...lol...Time will tell if I can pull off my own custom designed bait or not...but it'll be fun to see what I can come up with none the less....lol.

Thanks for sharing what you've done so far and be sure to update us on how it turns out.

PS....from what i've been reading, it appears to be easier to cut the slot for the bill, while the bait is still in the block stage instead of after its been carved.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 02:28 AM   #12
islandbass

Thanks to everyone!

Thanks. I just realized that after I shaped it and another person on another forum mentioned the same thing. Live and learn I guess.

Bama,

I guess we have another thing in common. I can't paint worth a darn either. They will be hand painted with a low tech hand brush. I don't have an air brush.
Old 06-11-09, 09:55 AM   #13
zooker

in the location you would put the front hook you'll need to drill in to the center of the block 1/2-5/8" pour in melted lead. or glue in an eye block. this gives the bait the upright stance in the water..

if you have any question's try talking to carolina chip. he aint shy about what he does and the man likes to help others with lure building...

zooker
Old 06-11-09, 11:41 AM   #14
Bassboss

That's pretty sweet!!!

Wanna send me one, I'll paint it myself and put the hooks! jkjk!
Old 06-11-09, 11:53 AM   #15
islandbass

Zooker,

That is great advice. I actually asked him at another forum but no response yet. Do you have any thoughts on the use of metal lips? You thoughts on yea or nea? Part of me that really likes to use crankbaits is getting tired of breaking lexan (always 100% my fault).
Old 06-11-09, 03:43 PM   #16
crankybait

IB, you using a dremel tool at all? they help a LOT in the crankbait making process
Old 06-11-09, 07:34 PM   #17
zooker

metal is cool you can bend them to get the desired depth...

zooker
Old 06-11-09, 09:39 PM   #18
tpttooter946
BassFishin.Com Member

oh man, I can't wait to get back into that! You have sparked my interest again!!

This time I am going to use the balsa wood instead of pine dowels like a did before. I spent too much time on the rotary sander making my last batch of baits.

dang right its time to get crankin!
Old 06-12-09, 12:51 AM   #19
islandbass

Zooker and everyone else, thanks again. I came across some lexan, but some future ones will have metal.

Cranky, I got the dremel and used it to make the slot for the lip. Good to hear from you, buddy.

Tpt,

Glad I was able to rekindle that spark. Working with balsa, I have learned that it is so soft compared to pine. I have learned that a hobby knife can wittle away the bulk, and 100 grit (med) can easily shape it and fine grit of your choice is all it takes to smooth it out. It is very buoyant too. I was initially going to use screw eyes, but I am having second thoughts. I am not confident that they will hold, even with epoxy. I am inclined to think through-wire is the ideal method. Darnet! I don't want to cut it in half just for that. Arrghhhh!

If you can, post some of your works. Let's get crankin', right cranky?
Old 06-12-09, 09:16 AM   #20
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

IB, no need to cut your bait in half. I read a tutorial on making through wire construction crankbaits with a drill bit. I'm trying to find it. I'll let you know if I do.

BB
Old 06-12-09, 10:30 AM   #21
islandbass

Thanks, BB144. I would appreciate that.
Old 06-12-09, 02:32 PM   #22
BigBassin144

I looked, but couldn't find the tutorial I read, but here's a YouTube video that covers the main idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSIMz...eature=related

Hope that helps.

BB
Old 06-12-09, 02:35 PM   #23
66KingFisher

You can also just cut a slot in the bottom half kinda like this and then fill it with wood filler after you epoxy the wire in place....don't forget about adding a ballast while your doing all this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NEWB_02.JPG
Views:	571
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	3741  
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 04:08 PM   #24
islandbass

That is totally awesome!!!! This is the route I'm going to take.
Old 06-12-09, 09:39 PM   #25
BigBassin144

Wow, that looks awesome 66. IB, if you don't have a one, get a pair of round nose pliers, they help a ton when bending wire like that.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.