Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-22-11, 11:31 AM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fluorocarbon leader material

Got a question what is the difference between fluorocarbon and fluorocarbon leader material? I’ve been using seaguar red leader material. But I’m moving back to NC and want to start using it on my baitcasters and would love to buy a 150 yard spool of fluorocarbon over a 25 yard spool of fluorocarbon leader material.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 08:31 AM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Leader material is typically much more durable than fluorocarbon made to fill a spool. Leader material is very stiff as well.

If you want to go with straight fluoro, I highly recommend P-Line Ultimate Fluoro. I have tried most all the others, and always come back to this.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/P-Lin...age-PLPFC.html
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 09:42 AM   #3
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Leader material is typically much more durable than fluorocarbon made to fill a spool. Leader material is very stiff as well.

If you want to go with straight fluoro, I highly recommend P-Line Ultimate Fluoro. I have tried most all the others, and always come back to this.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/P-Line_Ultimate_Fluorocarbon_Line/descpage-PLPFC.html
Yeah i thought there had to be some difference i'm trying to stop using the leader material if at all possible because of the price for a 25 yard spool!
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 06:12 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Cam is right, the main difference between between mainline FC and leader material is that the leader material is stiffer and usually more abrasion resistant (stiffness and abrasion resistance usually go hand in hand).

I personally don't use leader material. I use any small amount of FC that's left on my spools after spooling up reels. Or often FC's that I don't like as mainline.

I love Seaguar's lines. InvisX is one of the softest, most manageable FC's I've used and it has probably the best knot strength. However, because of it's suppleness, it isn't the toughest FC. It also stretches about like a good mono would. It is still sensitive though, and doesn't kink and break (for the most part) when you get slight backlashes like a lot of stiffer fluorocarbons.

For something a little stiffer (stiffer FC does have its place), I've really been liking Sunline Super FC (blue box, not Super Sniper). It is noticeably stiffer than InvisX, but has also been more abrasion resistant. Knot strength hasn't been as good, but I feel overall the line is tougher.

I couple I haven't like for mainline were Stren 100% FC, Trilene 100% (haven't tried it, but after seeing how stiff and wiry it was for my friend, I wouldn't), and actually the P-line 100% FC.

BB
Old 09-24-11, 02:57 AM   #5
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Just buy a filler spool of the FC line of your choice and use that as your fc leader. It's much cheaper and better bang for the buck.
Old 09-24-11, 12:39 PM   #6
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I read on here years ago about P-Line CFX and have been using that ever since. It is leader material and it very stiff but very strong. I really like that vs. standard FC line since it doesn't really need to wrap around a reel or be flexible. For me it is worth it using dedicated leader line since I think the benefit is worth it over using regular line. I might try a stiff line that is not dedicated leader too, such as Sunline's FC Sniper. I would suggest staying away from the Suffix stuff, I couldn't even tie a knot in their 6# without it breaking.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.