Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-12-14, 11:33 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Jerk baits

Today, the market is FILLED with suspending jerk baits. There are of course floating jerk baits out there, but what I like best is a jerk bait that suspends momentarily and then slowly rises to the surface. That is a lure that I can't really seem to find. The best jerk bait hands down that I have is one I pulled off a log snag many years back. It is about 4-1/2 inches long, silver with black back and white belly, and made by the old Excaliber Company, not todays Xcaliber Co. It's called the Excaliber Minnow. On the side of the body is the signature Mark Sosin. I have no idea who that is, haha. I have caught a ton of fish on this bait and it shows on the lure as it is pretty chewed up. One aspect of this bait is that while it is a floating jerk bait, it doesn't rise to the surface as fast as most floaters, It's a slow rise. I certain that trait of the lure is what makes it so deadly. I'd like to find another bait that works like this, but am having one heck of a time finding one. I don't know the weight of the bait, but it casts easily. I'd say it is close to the weight of a Lucky Craft, but that's just a guess.
Anyways, does anyone have a suggestion for a jerk bait that has the qualities that I have described in this bait? A slow floater that casts easily that is between 4 and 5 inches?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jerkbait.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	9004  

Last edited by keithdog; 04-12-14 at 11:41 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 12:13 PM   #2
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

#10 Rapala Flat Rap (add a suspend strip to the belly if you want its rise even slower)

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 12:19 PM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MARK...item540754f11b

If you were serous - Mark Sosin had a fishing show a few years back, did a lot of salt water stuff. I found him a bit boorish though.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 01:58 PM   #4
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MARK...item540754f11b

If you were serous - Mark Sosin had a fishing show a few years back, did a lot of salt water stuff. I found him a bit boorish though.
I'll be darn. There it is. Not sure I want to get into a bidding war for it and pay that much for it. That is cool though to see it on line. I don't have an Ebay account either. Never purchased anything from Ebay.
Old 04-12-14, 07:23 PM   #5
nobass

MAN no dremmel or ebay account just how far up in ind. do you live
Old 04-12-14, 10:06 PM   #6
mikechell

Rapala's Husky Jerks. Downsized the treble hooks one size and they'll slowly rise to the surface, just like you describe.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 02:42 PM   #7
Tavery5

Megabass Vision 110 Silent Riser. A lot of anglers find that a suspending bait that rises and undesirable trait and will use wire, or other means to balance the bait to get it suspend nose down. If the rising action is working for you, most cheap suspending jerkbaits will do this because of poor suspending characteristics, and you would only need to add wire to the hooks or any other method to get the rise rate that you desire.
Try a RC STX or if available to you Academy H2O baits, both have some good qualities but IMHO do not suspend well and tend to rise a lot more than say a LC or Megabass.
Old 04-13-14, 06:30 PM   #8
Dave63

The cheapo's at Gander Mountain (name starts with an M. I can't remember it) do that.
Old 04-14-14, 07:28 PM   #9
keithdog

I'll check into all that. Thanks fellas.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.