Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-05-05, 10:59 PM   #1
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Wink Rod Action:quick tip

If you like throwing small baits like a killer b'1 and the normans crappie cranks for bass with a med./med.lt.action rod...but also want the back bone to controll a decent fish on a larger bait like a 1/2 oz. rattle trap. Break the tip off two inches below the tip guide. I recently modified my loomis cranking rod that way getting in the car last week. I don't know if it will still throw those little baits anymore so on second thought...don't try it. At least untill I've had a chance to post back and let ya know how it throws the dinks. But it now does man-handle a 1/2oz. lipless with ease...never used to do that before. Maybe that is Rod power but it also does seem to have a faster action.
Old 09-06-05, 05:57 PM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Basstech, I would prefer to keep a limber tip for ratltraps.They are less apt to tear the trebles out or allow the bass to throw the lure because the softer rod tip allows you to keep line tension on the fish to wear him down before boating him.Once you experience a 1/2 oz. trap flying at you when the bass surges and tears off by the boat, you will learn the value of the softer rod tip for ratltraps. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-05, 05:30 AM   #3
1FASTLASER

LOL Hey PNJ have you GPS'd that flying rattle trap LOL like you did the worm weight. All jokes aside those thrown bass baits make for some interesting conversation with the locals on What hook set did you use to get that bait hung there. LOL
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-05, 03:55 PM   #4
pig n jig

I fished a Red Man tour as a pro am.(non boater), and and one time the boater went to lip my fish and the trap tore out and slapped him in the head.The one barb was sunken in pretty good in his cheek.It seemed like his skin was elastic when trying to remove the barb, finally I had to push the barb through and cut it off to remove the trap. Another time I fished nearly all day with a jig imbedded in my thigh.I couldn't pull it out with pliers, so I cut the line and duct taped the jig to my leg so it didn't wiggle around while I fished out the rest of the day.The people at the hospital was not impressed that I kept on fishing without seeking medical attention sooner than I did. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-05, 05:11 PM   #5
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've experienced many, many rattle traps flying at me...some connecting in my head. Are you familliar with the Loom 6'6" med./med. cramnnkin' rod? It's still got a limber tip. I've got another rod (I shouldn't say what it is but I will), an Ugly stick that is a med or med. light action. It has a much more limber tip even and can't hold a fish because can't get the hooks burried in...won't put enough pressure on the fish. Rarely ever loose with a loomis though...BTW...these are Pre-shimano owned loomis's I use ...not the Post shimano buy out.
Old 09-07-05, 05:50 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i dislike about 90% of the so called cranking sticks. they seem way to limber and wiffly. no back bone for nothing. i use a meduim action 7 foot fenwick gt. it has enough feel to tell what you just run you bait into but not to much and is fairly stiff i am a firm beliver that if the bass throws the hook. then you had to much tension in your line hence a looser drag and slowly work the fish in. hossing a bass is somthing you do with a heavy pitching stick rigged with braid and a single wide gap worm hook. cause 90% of the time you are in the middle of some nasty crap that he will tangle you in/around.

zooker
Old 09-07-05, 06:04 PM   #7
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Exclamation

Those stories reminds me of a redman tournie I fished and some guy in the boat in front of us set the hook on a dock fish, the line broke and the bullet sinker went up the guys nose!

His partner was a EMT but they ended up going to the hospital and digging it out, and I am pretty sure he came back for the weigh in!

I learned a good lesson the weekend, if you have extreme wind, target long rows of docks or target fish under pontoons......
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.