Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-12, 09:48 AM   #1
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default How would you set this up

Hey guys,
I’ve purchased a Nitro Z7 and I’m in the process of getting it decked out. The Boat comes with a Lowrance Mark-5x Pro fishfinder that is flush mounted in the Console. I’ve purchased a Lowrance HDS7 Gen2 and a HDS5 Gen2 with Structure Scan, the entire works. I told them to Take the Lowrance Mark-5x Pro out of the Console and Flush mount the HDS7 and put the HDS5 up front and network the two. They aren’t going to get to doing any of the installation until Monday so I have some time here to change my mind.

Last night I was thinking about it and thought, Should I leave the Lowrance Mark-5x Pro flush mounted and have them Mount the HDS7 up front with a Ram Mount and the HDS5 next to the Console with a Ram Mount and instead of networking the two have the Front read off the Trolling motor Transducer and the Back Mounted read the Structure Scan, or can both read the Structure Scan and the Front get it’s DI and SI from the Trolling Motor Transducer?

Lots of questions as you can tell. But I really want to get this right before I go pick it up and decide I don’t like the way I have it set up.

Thanks a ton guys!
Old 03-06-12, 10:33 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Dont own either of those units,im a simple guy whatever gives the best view with the least amount of button pushing that does not require a 247 page manual to operate.
I wouldnt link,id use whatever gave best view for running and scanning at console.
As when im at rest its generally shallow water dont think any unit will give great detail about 2 1/2 ft of water.But thats me.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 10:35 AM   #3
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

I always prefer to RAM-mount both bow and console units for ease of access, removal when traveling, and adjusting the viewing angle. Also, flush-mounted bow units really take abuse from rough water, and water can accumulate on top of the unit. RAM-mounted bow units are more cushioned in rough water, and they can be tilted down to shed water.

With that said, I see no reason to remove the Mark 5X. No doubt, you want the HDS units Ethernet-linked (yellow cable) through the StructureScan box. This way, both units can read the StructureScan, plus you get complete waypoint sharing between units (new wpts, wpt edits, deletions, etc.) You will still have dedicated 2D sonar ducers for each unit. With Ethernet-link, you can also share these 2D ducers between units with the "Network Sonar" option enabled. Find this in the Sonar menu.

With Network Sonar enabled, only one 2D ducer is powered at a time, which eliminates crosstalk interference between them, and your backseat partners can view what you are looking at up front on the back unit. At each unit, you select what 2D ducer you want it running off of with the "Source" selection. To have your 2D ducers function independently, just disable the Network Sonar feature.
Old 03-06-12, 10:53 AM   #4
Mumpy

Thank you very much!

So, I'm keeping the Lowrance 5x in the Console and tell them I want the rest RAM Mounted with 1.5 Balls. Does it matter if I tell them I want the HDS7 in the Back and the HDS5 in the Front? I should be able to switch them around as I want them switched when ever right?
Old 03-06-12, 10:58 AM   #5
Possum
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with Todd about not removing the Mark 5. In place it can provide you with a back-up should something unexpected happen to your main unit. Not that it will, but you never know.
Personally, I NEED the larger screen up front. Aging eyes.
Old 03-06-12, 11:10 AM   #6
Tavery5

I think I would want the bigger unit up front, that is where you will spend most of your time fishing and it will be much easier to view the details.
Old 03-06-12, 11:29 AM   #7
bassboogieman

I agree with Tav on this one. The 7" up front will give you a better view, especailly when in a split-view mode. The two 5" at helm, you can use the Mark-5 as a sounder and the HD-5 for GPS when running giving you a decent sized view while you're up on plane. Many more options with the extra unit in the console.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 11:31 AM   #8
Mumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
The two 5" at helm, you can use the Mark-5 as a sounder and the HD-5 for GPS when running giving you a decent sized view while you're up on plane.
Oh man I like that idea BIG TIME! I just emailed the Dealer and told him everything you guys have said here.

Can't wait to fish out of this thing!
Old 03-06-12, 11:33 AM   #9
Possum
BassFishin.Com Member

Mumpy, I forgot to congratulate you on your new boat, sorry 'bout that.
Old 03-06-12, 11:40 AM   #10
Mumpy

Oh, thank you!!! It's been a long time coming. I've never owned a "NEW" Boat. It's always been a used one and I've always had nothing but problems with them. This is going to be a very welcomed change.

Finally in my life I'm at a point financially where I don't have to buy used. Took a lot of hard work to get here, so here's to enjoying the second half of my life, lol
Old 03-06-12, 11:53 AM   #11
MIbasser

Okay, I'll be the first to say it. I disagree with Tav and boogie. I would think that you would want the 7 at the counsole. IF you are using side scan and DI you are going to want the biggest screen to look at. Chances are you will be driving around "mapping" an area looking at a 7" screen is going to be much easier then a 5".

As for everything else, get them linked. Nobody brought up waypoint sharing either. That is the number one reason I think for having them linked. I will agree with Todd on having them on RAM mounts as well. Much easier to view and adjust when fishing (I have an LMS-520 and HDS5 both on RAM's.)
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 11:57 AM   #12
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Okay, I'll be the first to say it. I disagree with Tav and boogie. I would think that you would want the 7 at the counsole. IF you are using side scan and DI you are going to want the biggest screen to look at. Chances are you will be driving around "mapping" an area looking at a 7" screen is going to be much easier then a 5".

As for everything else, get them linked. Nobody brought up waypoint sharing either. That is the number one reason I think for having them linked. I will agree with Todd on having them on RAM mounts as well. Much easier to view and adjust when fishing (I have an LMS-520 and HDS5 both on RAM's.)
OK, this settles it, you are going to need two of the 7's and forget all about the 5.
Old 03-06-12, 12:33 PM   #13
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'll settle this argument and say buy two 10's.
Old 03-06-12, 01:13 PM   #14
Mumpy

As much as I'd like to have two 10's that just ain't gonna happen. I've already put the price of this boat way over the initial price my wife said I could spend. It took me a week of Begging to get the Additional HDS5. I'm going to look at the price difference, I've got from now until Monday to convince my wife I need two 7's instead of the 5 & 7. We'll see.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.