Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 03-28-12, 07:43 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Smile Pole builders....and anyone else.

Messing around and stumbled on this.
Now, I am in ' NO WAY' thinking of rod building!
BUT.....as usual it got me thinking.
Now if I have one of the great pole artists here make me a custom, are the same blanks used in a caster and a spinning?
Is this a good deal?
Or are these new Loomis blanks not as good as old?
Company seems OK.
I have a few GLXs and I like them. But I have numerous other brands that I also like. I have favorites for certain applications but I'm not Brand loyal.
If a person were to send an artist a blank, does that make sense? Heck you'd have a tube to mail back the rod you made.

These are kind of just questions that came to mind...you know, in case I'm ever on a Fishing Game Show.
Boy I hope that's all I'm up too. " Down Monkey...I said DOWN! "
Anyways, why don't you share your thoughts with me.

http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com...mb843-imx.html
Old 03-28-12, 09:23 PM   #2
Jrob78

Loomis stopped selling their blanks a couple of years ago. These are just the leftover blanks from then. They are very much top quality, first run blanks and would make a great custom rod. Mudhole did have a large selection of Loomis blanks but they don't seem to have anymore. If you have any interest in a custom built Loomis, you'd better snatch one of these up.

The blank in the link is technically a casting blank, the MB stands for mag bass. That is a 7' Med Heavy, fast action IMX casting blank. You can build a casting blank as a spinning rod and vice versa, the blank doesn't know the difference.

EDIT - If you notice, that blank is out of stock.
Old 03-28-12, 10:02 PM   #3
bassboogieman

You can get a genuine Gary Loomis blank, ie: a North Forks Composite. I had a rod built on one of those blanks and it made an awesome (way over used word, but appropriate) rod. They are not cheap, but not much with the name Loomis is - not even a Shimano/Loomis.

I only have the one custom, probalby won't spend the money on more at my age. The one I have was a retirement present to myself. As I mentioned, mine was built on a NFC blank (IM) which is the same blank Kistler uses to produce the Z-bone rod and my rod while comparable in price to the "semi-custom" Z-bone, has better guides (micro Ti) and is a TRUE custom. The handle was made to fit MY hand, the guide wraps and handle wrap are one-of-a-kind, and color cordinated to the reel it was to be paired with. Actually a better rod and better value, than what you can get from one of the major manufacturers (albiet we are speaking of rods in the upper end of what is available commercially).

There are several guys here at BF.com that have considerable talent and artistic ability to help you out when you're ready to take the plunge.

This one, of course, is mine. It's a 7' MH/f, and it's noticablly lighter than one of my comparable Kistler LTX rods, and I think the North Fork Composite blank is a little bit stiffer than the LTX, not a big deal I just mentioned it as a MH blank varies between manufacturers. Something to keep in mind when looking at blanks.

You won't find a rod like this at BPS or any of the other big box sporting goods stores. Even has my name on it, just in case some IDIOT might try and walk off with it.

Titanium micro guides are SWEET.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-29-12 at 01:25 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 11:28 PM   #4
joedog

Jrob, I do now.
I swear there was stock before.

Thanks for the input too. I'm not necessarily looking for Loomis, this just looked like a good deal. I guess it was! Probably just as well...I already was deciding macros or not, cork or not....
bassboogie, I appreciate the insight!
And GREAT looking Rod. Ya I know I opened the door on BOTH of US on that comment.
Old 03-29-12, 01:41 AM   #5
bassboogieman

Thanks Joe. I had mine built to be as light as possible. For that I chose the split reel seat, the Ti micro guides and foam handle. No weight was added to balance the rod. The reel is a Pflueger Patriarch XT (6.8 ounces). With the reel mounted it is just slightly tip heavy, but I don't mind that at all and could probably get it neutral with a slightly heavier reel.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 03:02 AM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I could kick myself for not buying a St Croix V blank during Christmas. Mudhole had them half off and they still had a couple of G. Loomis blanks left. But they seem to be gone now. I did find a few different blanks here though at 40% off.

There are so many good blanks out there now. For a good deal on an awesome rod, I have to say most of my rod blanks have been either Batson or Castaway, with a few MHX and other different brands in there. And then there is the Phenix K2 line that is light as a feather, stiff as a board, light as a feather, stiff as a board. Sorry I got stuck in a dark room in high school. But they have a $200+ tag to accompany them. In some of it, I think it is about putting your money where your mind is and distinguishing between paying for a product or a name.
Old 03-29-12, 11:44 AM   #7
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

IMO the point of diminishing returns on an over the counter rod is around $250. While custom rods can be built to fit almost any budget, anyone shopping at the $250 and above price point should really consider a custom build from a reputable builder. the Loomis and NFC blanks are high quality for sure, but there are many other suppliers with equally high quality blanks often at better prices. If someone has a blank that they know they want built I'm happy to do it, but you're missing out a little bit if you don't seek the builders advice for blank options based on what, where and how you'll fish.
Old 03-30-12, 08:42 AM   #8
hardhead
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
IMO the point of diminishing returns on an over the counter rod is around $250. While custom rods can be built to fit almost any budget, anyone shopping at the $250 and above price point should really consider a custom build from a reputable builder. the Loomis and NFC blanks are high quality for sure, but there are many other suppliers with equally high quality blanks often at better prices. If someone has a blank that they know they want built I'm happy to do it, but you're missing out a little bit if you don't seek the builders advice for blank options based on what, where and how you'll fish.
this post is Dead on
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.