Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-13-10, 10:02 AM   #26
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like quality stuff as much as the next guy, but where do you draw the line? Most of us have family and personal obligations that pretty much dictate the limitations, but I have to admit that I have NEVER bought a rod that cost more than $150, or a reel that cost that much either. I have some of the expensive stuff but I have been fortunate to have been in situations where I have been given the high end stuff.
I also have a quick little story about my best friend back home in Texas that has High end habit of buying the very best when it comes out. He bought one of those fancy computerized Shimano Bait casters directly from Japan for about $660.00 when they first came out. Spooled that puppy up and we went fishing on Joe Pool on one of the Wednesday night tournaments out there in Arlington, TX. Being the typical windy summer evening in North Texas he said, "Dude, watch me catch this 1/4 oz swimbait into the wind with this new reel!". Well, needless to say, it went crazy and wound up with the purtiest bird's nest you ever saw. He looked at me and all I could say, "couldn't be the reel, must be operator error for that price!". By and large, the reel was nice, but not so nice that I could of spent the kind of money he did.
This has been an interesting read and a lot great points have been made. I would still like to hear what everyone's criteria for drawing that proverbial line is?
Old 07-13-10, 12:10 PM   #27
Raul

You just said it: I have to admit that I have NEVER bought a rod that cost more than $150

Your line is below $150

So given the case you had to purchase that nice tackle you got for whatever reason it came to your hands on your own you would probably not willingly spend more than $150 on a rod or a reel.

My line is set in the $250 limit

I like you have reels and rods that cost more than $250 and they were all purchased at 250 or less because of a particular set of circumstances occured ( sales, discounts and clearances ), thatīs how they came to me.

Like my friend Reb pointed out:

1.- You donīt "need" expensive gear to fish. Thereīs a bunch of good quality tackle below the 150 bones mark.

2.- Expensive tackle can make the experience more enjoyable, you donīt need it but it ainīt gonna hurt you either.

3.- It all depends on how often you fish. If you fish once or twice a year it probably does not matter since you don't know the difference. If you fish once or twice a week you bet it makes a difference. A light, sensitive graphite rod is much more enjoyable to fish with than a 25 year old fiberglass rod that weighs 3 times as much.

4.- It is like any hobby: The more you participate in it, the better equipment you want to have because better equipment makes it more enjoyable.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 02:23 PM   #28
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Great discussion guys! Everyone has made some great points.

Like Reb said, it is like any other hobby. You don't need the best, but the best makes it more enjoyable.

And like Bob and Raul said, the majority of my gear costs a lot more than I paid for it. Getting good deals, whether it be on used tackle or from sales, clearanced items, etc, helps those of us who want to use higher end gear but can't afford it.

BB
Old 07-13-10, 02:37 PM   #29
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You're gonna spend money on something, might as well be good fishing equipment.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 05:27 PM   #30
plugsandaxes
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
I couldn't have said it better. Everyone has something they put themselves into in life and, for many of us, it's fishing. People will always spend money on whatever that something is.

Fishing is great on so many levels and, for me, it's worth enjoying as much as I can....which nice gear helps with. I think I realized that before I even got any nice gear....it was when I was just out "taking it all in" and didn't have a care in the world. It didn't matter whether I caught anything at all. Fishing is just that enjoyable. So, if fishing can be that much fun with mediocre gear, I figured it was worth sinking some money in it to maximize the experience.
plugsandaxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 05:49 PM   #31
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
My take on expensive gear.

I agree with BB144 about expensive gear being for personal enjoyment. In my case, I simply decided I fished with enough Zebco 202's in my life, that I just want to fish with nice rods now. I have the money, and I like them. Personal thing.

However, I have another reason, and I'm sure the response will be a mixed bag. I pretty much suck at consistently catching good fish. I catch lots of dinks (sound familiar, John? ), and a 4-5 lb'er here and there, but I have still never caught a full limit of keepers since Indiana went to a 14" minimum many years ago. (My soon-to-not-be-favorite Patoka Lake is 15", and my local pit is 18"...NOT FAIR!!!) That's pretty pathetic, I know, but I keep trying.

Here's where the nice gear comes into play. As I work at it, I can now say with 100% confidence that my gear is not, nor has it ever been at fault. So I will definitely know I have achieved something when I start catching good fish.
are you saying patoka can suck? LOL
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 05:53 PM   #32
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
are you saying patoka can suck?
Sir, Patoka can, and does suck!

I think I am just sentimentally attached to Patoka because I had such good times there when I was a young, impressionable kid. Days of catching 50 bass were the norm. Granted, they were all 10-14 inches, but it was awesome for a kid.

The lake has matured, as have I (some would debate that), and with the advent of professional bass fishing, and all of the tournament pressure, it just isn't the same anymore.

Nice de-rail.
Old 07-13-10, 08:01 PM   #33
keithdog

I really wish Zooker was here to answer this because the last time I talked to him, we had a discussion on this very topic. He told me how he would often get made fun of having a $70.00 reel on a $300.00 rod. His take was the rod was the most valuable of the two. He told me he would rather use a decent reel on a great rod than the other way around. We got some really good laughs out of that discussion! Just thought you guys would enjoy hearing that.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 08:06 PM   #34
Tavery5

I usually fish the best quality gear that I can afford easily. If fishing was the way I was making my living, I would purchase the best equipment I could, regardless of price. The way I decide what level of gear I would like to buy into is probably what I would call the rule of diminished returns, in other words a 200 dollar rod MAY be twice as good as a 100 dollar rod, but is the 300 dollar rod 3 times a good. I like to try and get the most bang for the buck, if that make sense
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 03:41 PM   #35
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Sir, Patoka can, and does suck!

I think I am just sentimentally attached to Patoka because I had such good times there when I was a young, impressionable kid. Days of catching 50 bass were the norm. Granted, they were all 10-14 inches, but it was awesome for a kid.

The lake has matured, as have I (some would debate that), and with the advent of professional bass fishing, and all of the tournament pressure, it just isn't the same anymore.

Nice de-rail.
hmm...i dont know. last time out we had 4 fish @ over 16 lbs...its still got it...
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 04:17 PM   #36
Captmikestarrett

OK I just want to add my voice..

I carry about 12 spinning rods and 4 fly rods on my boat for LGMouth persuits. No baitcasters.. My rods are good high end rods that have been turned over by purists ISO the best rod out there. I get them dirt cheap and my customers break them for me all the time. Three rods this year alone. My baitcasters are for when I fish, not my customers so I seldom get to use them in the 90 plus fishing trips I take a year. My reels are cheap but they work fine. If one gives me trouble I replace it with an on-board spare.

I do have some very high end stuff that just collects dust..

However things change when I catfish. I use top end Shimmi Bait runners and custom tuna rods since these big brutes break tackle that is cheap.

The rod is the thing that needs to work well and reel functional.

I consider my work tackle to be along the price range that if you break a rod it will not ruin my happy attitude and I will just laugh it off.

Try that when someone breaks your Kistler or Avid.

Capt Mike
Old 07-14-10, 05:05 PM   #37
bassboogieman

Capt. you're in a different boat (pun intended), with the equipment you provide for your clients. You'd definitely have to be the Capt to the Stars, if you're going to provide your clients with Loomis, Dobyns, St. Croix, Kistler or any "high end" rods.
As a guide you need functuional, easy to use and certainly durable combo's for those that avail themselves of your services. You cannot know the skill level of perspective clients - unless they are repeats, of course - so you need to err on the side of common sense.
Personal usage is a different story and I see you do have some "good stuff" stashed away for when you're fishing for yourself. I think that was the jist of the thread - what we're choosing to use on a personal level.
I've fishing a few charters and always take my own rods & reels. I've never been happy when using "furnished" tackle - YES I admit it, I am spoiled rotten. I even purchased some saltwater rods/reels for when I go offshore - now most of that stuff is top-of-the-line (mostly Penn Internationals w/Penn rods, on the boats I've chartered) but I still prefer my own.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 06:31 PM   #38
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

I am fortunate enough to make good money and I spend it on my favorite thing which is fishing. I have many $300-$400 rod and reel combos. And a lot of lures over $10-$15-$25 even. Do they catch more fish.... in certain situations yes all the time no. It is more about knowing when to use them then anything. My rods and reels are light and sensitive. I used to think that spending the extra money was ridiclous until i got my butt handed to me in a tournament by a guy using a lucky craft crankbait. Then it dawned on me if all the stuff cost this much would I still pay this much to go fishing and as much as I like fishing it was a no brainer.
Old 07-16-10, 02:47 PM   #39
dave0943

In my earlier fishing days, I thought that if you buy the best you'll be the best. How far from the truth that is. When I'd spend a weeks pay check OR TWO on a good combo, I'd always worry about, banging it up, getting it borrowed and not returned, kids messing with it, you know the drill. I found that a good rod is more sensitive, the reel within reason doesn't matter, and the line really makes a difference, your thunb is everything!
I buy the middle of the road now, stuff good enough that doesn't drive me nuts breaking down, lasts forever, and lets me fish to the best of my experience. My wife of 35 years, bless her heart for listening to all my excuses why I need this combo over that one, has pretty much gained trust in my gear choices, that It won't break the bank. Now hunting gear------#$E%^$$
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 12:52 PM   #40
ted48
BassFishin.Com Member

Expensive is an individual thing. None of us are financially the same. Many years ago when they came out with boron rods(know I am dating myself here), I wanted one in the worst way mostly because of the hype and they were supposed to be more sensitive. Finally saved up enough money to goto the local tackle store to get one. The owner, also a friend said let's see if you can feel the difference in sensitivity, He had me colose my eyes and then placed a rod in my hand and put the rod tip up to his voice box (neck) and said a few words, then replaced the rod with another. I could not tell the difference in the sensitivity. We concluded from the test that it would not be to my advantage to purchase the more expensive rod. So i bought what I had been using and still have that rod and YES it is still catching fish for me 20 years Later.

Moral of the story expensive is not necessarily better. Use what you enjoy and what works for you and don't try to keep up with anyone else when it comes to equipment !
ted48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 03:26 PM   #41
bassinbob

I started bass fishing with a Ugly Stix and a Mitchell 300. Now I use Kistlers, Avid, gloomis and Cumera with Shimano and Revo reels. I like the difference. Almost all were either purchased at a discount or trade. I bought one Premier at cost to get a free hat. Being that bass fishing is my only hobby I feel that my tools are necessary to enjoy my time spent.
Has it made me a better fisherman. I'd like to think it has improved my catch ratio somewhat. I feel it isn't totally necessary but to me it sure makes fishing more pleasurable.
I don't think I have to knock someone because they don't care for what I use. To each his own. So far what I have bought has made or enabled me to enjoy the experience more than with that old Ugly Stix and Mitchell 300. I really wouldn't want to go back to them.
Old 07-17-10, 04:40 PM   #42
florida fisher

I think its all the same you can buy a $70 dollar reel with the same gear ratios as a $300 reel your just paying for the companies name
Old 07-17-10, 05:13 PM   #43
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida fisher View Post
I think its all the same you can buy a $70 dollar reel with the same gear ratios as a $300 reel your just paying for the companies name
There is a lot more that goes into a reel than the gear ratio. You can get Shimano Coriolis in 6.2:1 for $69.99 or a Shimano Calais Series A in 6.2:1 for $399.99. I promise you these 2 reels are nowhere near the same performance wise. Brand and gear ratio....exactly the same.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 06:22 PM   #44
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
^5 Geezer!!! The way I look at it, I don't hang out at the bars, I don't smoke, I dont gamble except to play the state lottery, 4 bucks a week. And I'm not into any other vices. Well, nothin I'm going to admit to. So I spend a few bucks on fishin gear, so what! LOL
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.