Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 12-29-04, 10:51 PM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Infomercial Lures

OK heres a link to several of the INFOMERCIAL lures

[s]http://www.ngcsports.com%2F[/s]SEE MARTY'S LINK SEVERAL POSTS DOWN

I actually find the Light N' Strike interesting, and am wondering if the light actually does make a difference. I started looking for these, since my issue of Indiana Game and Fish had a advertisement in it about them, actually called the Light N' Live(TM) of course they made it look like and article. And of course I never subscribed to it, just started to appear in my mailbox. Guess I ordered from someone who wanted me to have it or something. Anyway the magazine does has some good info in it, and I do enjoy reading some of the local information it provides. Anyway back to the point. I know we have talked about this over and over again, but would like some input here. We have slammed all the infomercials constantly, but do they have any merit. For example the Kicktail is VERY SIMILIAR to the LUCKY CRAFT POINTER in design, and I've heard nothing but good about the Pointer, yet nobody gives the Kicktail a chance from what I've read? Is this because one is made by a no name company and the other is by a BIG Company known for their quality? It reminds me of the SENKO FAD I like to call it, where they are the best soft plastic around nowadays according to many folks, yet I believe that some of knockoffs are as good if not better, for a lot less money.IMO

Any input is appreciated, and of course we all have are opinions on the matter, so what do you guys think?

Lizards

Edit: If anyone knows how to make the link smaller, so It doesn't run the page out please let me know, I dislike that tremendously :P
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 10:58 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Infomercial Lures

The only problem I have with them is you have to buy several for $30 rather than just one or two. There would probably be more acceptance if you could buy them individually.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 11:04 PM   #3
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Ok I will admit some thing!

I bought the flying lure from years back , and caught a monster and mean monster muskie on it.

untill today I never told any one what I got it on.

I feel soooo cheap! :-/

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 01:03 AM   #4
bassmania25
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmania25

I bought the banjo minnow many years ago on sale at the swap meet, I thought the system was horrible. I did keep the minnows and i use them to flip on jigs in heavy cover they work great. .......... Scott R
bassmania25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 02:06 AM   #5
mrcj1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mrcj1

I was given some helicopters when I first started bass fishing. I caught a numbe rof fish on them. I can't really compare then to other baits, because now I know a little more of what I am doing.
mrcj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 05:20 AM   #6
zooker___________.
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zooker___________.

you see those commercial's on ESPN with the two Bass fishing? What happen ever happened to good old worms, its a lost art that I plan to give alot more attention.
zooker___________. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 07:11 AM   #7
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

There is no such thing as a "bad" lure. If you put hooks on a corn cob, and throw it into the water long enough, you will eventually catch a fish on it.

Lures are tools. Just like golf clubs, fishing rods, shotguns, and hammers. They are designed to do a specific job, under a particular set of conditons. Even the "infomercial" lures have their place.

The problem with infomercial lures isn't so much that they won't catch fish, it's what they lead you to believe they will catch. Their entire marketing philosophy is aimed at people who don't know any better. They imply that this lure will catch fish for you. You don't have to do, or know anything, just tie it on and put it in the water and fish will go on a forced march and stand in line to bite it.

Those of us who have been around this game more than a week or 10 days know better. I would bet, 10 bucks to a stale donunt, that most of the buyers of "infomercial" lures are either people who have little or no experience with fishing, or relatives of somone who does fish who sees the infomercial and thinks "Bubba likes to fish. I'll bet he'd like that."

Most of us who have been around the game a while recognize hype. We laugh at it, wink and it and move on. As Reb said we might be more tempted to give something a try if we didn't have to spend 30 bucks or so to get X number of Chrome Plated Whiz Bangs.

Every one of us has at least one lure in our box, probably dozens that if someone asked we'd say "Nope. Never caught a fish on it." If we were really honest, we'd also admit we tied it on once, made a half dozen casts, and changed back to our old favorite telling ourselves "This thing is a piece of crap.". I know I've got a dozen like that. I've got baits in my box I have never even tied on.

The only "infomercial" lures, I ever bought and I'm not sure they count, unless you call Bill Dances Show an infomercial, (not far from it I suppose) is a Dancing Eel, and the Dancing Craw. The Eel was actually a pretty good bait. I caught a fair number of fish on it. The Craw was about worthless but it was more that I thought it was too big than anything else, so it went back in the box of "never caught a fish on it" junk.

There ain't no magic bait. Not even at 3 am in December when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground. And one mans trash is another mans treasure. Every lure you've got that you think is worthless, someone else loads the boat on.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 09:17 PM   #8
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Liz,

There is a site, http://tinyurl.com/, which will do just what you want, i.e., make a small URL from a big one. I've known about it for awhile but I never used it until now. Below is the URL it created from that huge one in your message.

http://tinyurl.com/5jbrj

P.S. I've never used a Pointer. But even if the Kicktail was a good lure, I wouldn't buy it, because I wouldn't buy anything from that company out of principle, because they have the most deceptive advertising I've ever seen.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-04, 12:03 AM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Marty link=board=MessBoards;num=1104371460;start=0#7 date=12/30/04 at 19:17:19]Liz,

There is a site, http://tinyurl.com/, which will do just what you want, i.e., make a small URL from a big one. I've known about it for awhile but I never used it until now. Below is the URL it created from that huge one in your message.

http://tinyurl.com/5jbrj

P.S. I've never used a Pointer. But even if the Kicktail was a good lure, I wouldn't buy it, because I wouldn't buy anything from that company out of principle, because they have the most deceptive advertising I've ever seen.[/quote]

Thanks I went back and changed mine to have them hit your link ;D It looks a heck of a lot better now getting rid of it And I will print this page for future reference 8)

Lizards
Old 12-31-04, 12:20 AM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards-you can also post it like this:

[url=paste your link[your link-whatever you want to call it[/url]

so

(Deleted to save Lizards from a headache.)
becomes

Infomercial Lures

only use ] instead of [ after the first url.
Old 12-31-04, 12:50 AM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Reb, I printed this again, but would you remove the origianl, or at least cut it back, it's now great big again, and giving me a headache

Lizards
Old 12-31-04, 01:09 AM   #12
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Sure
Old 12-31-04, 02:31 PM   #13
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Lizard,
I agree with Reb, If I could buy one kicktail lure then I would give it a try. But anyone will have a hard time convincing me to give up 3 easy payments of $19.99, especially for a lure I have never heard of.

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.