Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-07-05, 10:15 PM   #1
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983
Default Shirts

Was just thinking..the shirts pro's wear with all the advertising on them-do any of you non pro's wear anything like them or with patches from tackle manufactures, etc. I think they look pretty good but would feel funny not being a pro and wearing one. I saw one in a catalog (Ranger Boats). What is your opinion on them?

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 11:25 PM   #2
javelinguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to javelinguy
Default Re: Shirts

IMO, I think the pro's have earned those patches and sponsors. I, too, would feel funny wearing, let's say, a Zoom patch if I wasn't sponsored by them. However, I do have a shirt I use for tournaments. I have my BASS patch on it, the name of my club, my name embroidered on it, and the American Flag as well as my state flag. Kind of like the cub scouts when you were a kid though. As you get to be a better angler I'm sure you'll be able to add more. Even as you get local sponsors.

Something to be said though for look good, feel good, fish good. Tournaments are like game day. Something about going out and prefishing for a few days and then getting up in the morning on tourney day and wearing your "tourney shirt".

What do I know though this is only my 2nd post as a member and I'm a northerner ;D
javelinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 12:39 AM   #3
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

my tourney shirt is a red hawiian shirt...for some reason it rattles some people. ;D
(you know who you are)
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 01:54 AM   #4
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Wear what you want to. If you don't want to wear patches and stuff on your shirts, don't. If you do, feel free to.

I've worn patches for companies who sponsored me. I've worn them for companies that I just happened to like their product. I've got a "Cook's Go To" (Tackle storage system) hat that I'm wore tonight. They gave me the hat. I happen to like the product. I'll tell you about it if you want to know.

I've also got three "Team Jesus" pins on the hat. I'll tell you about that too.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 02:20 AM   #5
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

I am not a Pro angler but I do have several sponsors. My job is to promote their products and wearing a "Brag Rag" is part of that. I do have several friends on the tour and they tell me that some guys have a problem with non sponsored anglers wearing logos and shirts. Why? Who cares. Do what makes you happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. I think it makes my job easier if you are wearing the logo or patch of one of my sponsors. I'm the handsome guy on the right.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 09:12 AM   #6
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Earthworm, Did ya think we didn't know Larry Nixon ? : I personally don't like to wear tournament shirts. There are alot who do. I like the simple everyday clothes to fish in, I like to be comfortable when I outfish the Patch touting legends in their own mind kind of guys. ;D I do think your equipment has got to look good in order to fish good. Take the time spent on sewing patches on and clean & maintain and organize your tackle so you are prepared to get it done out on the water, not some best dress show at the boat launch or fast food place you stop to on the way home. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 02:06 PM   #7
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

I think there are two types of guys who wear shirts with patches - those who can really fish and those who want others to think they can fish. Some guys are just so bad at bass fishing that they decide to sell out and buy a 40K bass boat, 20 fishing shirts with patches, $200 ocean wave sunglasses, a ton of Shimano calcuttas and kistler rods, a dodge ram duelly...ect..ect...and they cant fish a lick.

Personally, I now just wear a T-shirt and quite often a flyfishing vest.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 02:18 PM   #8
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

I don't think too many of these guys actually fish in these shirts. They put them on at the weigh in or if there is going to be a camera on the boat. I fish comfortably in a T-Shirt like most guys prefer. I usually only wear these things when I do seminars or shows where I have to promote my sponsors. Larry Nixon, A#1 guy! some people like to belong to something, there is nothinhg wrong with a guy who wears a Stren patch or Slider patch because he has faith in the product. I guess some guys do it to overkill, but let them have their fun, as PNJ said, getting out on the water seperates the men from the boys.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 05:27 PM   #9
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

You got a good point there Earthworm. When I did tournament fish, I kept my "tournament shirt" in a plastic bag in the boat until time for the weigh-in. Most "pros" will wear them to fish, but they're getting paid to. They keep a clean one in the boat for weigh-in's.

I've got a buddy, who's wife fished a Bass-n-gals tournament once. It was August in Virginia, and she came in looking like a wrung out dishrag. Her clothes were soaked with sweat. Her hair was plastered to her head. She told me. I don't understand it. These other girls all look so fresh, and perky. I said "Well Gee Terri. They all knew there were going to be photographers here, and people watching them. They came in 20 mins or so ago, pulled out bottles of water, washed off, brushed their hair, changed their shirts, put on fresh makeup, and got ready. (Which they had done before they came in to the weigh-in.)

She looked at me with a deer in the headlights look and almost screamed. YOU ARE KIDDING?! THOSE BIT****!!!!

I almost died laughing. And you thought the GUYS had decisions to make with what shirt to wear. ;D
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 06:54 PM   #10
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

unless im sponsered and in a tourny im not goin to spend money on a shirt when i could be using the money to buy lures. ill just stick to wat i usaully wear a white t shirt and jeans or jean shorts.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 07:14 PM   #11
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Makitcnt4u

I have a shirt like that but with no patches on it. It is really light and has long sleeves. I wear it when i'm fishing in Florida because I get a sunburn easily but sweat alot so I need the long sleeves and the ventilation it provides. But while fishing in Tennessee I put on a T shirt.
Makitcnt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 10:47 PM   #12
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

I prefer my leopard print thong and cowboy hat. I also invest in good SPF. Causes a whole in your face kinda psych to the other fisherman. Works well when somebody tries to move in on a good spot also. One look and they usually leave. I have one shirt that I wear for the FF Olympics- MELBOURNE FIRE FISHING TEAM, also has my name on it. ;D 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 06:51 PM   #13
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

fireman, somedays if the mood is right i will be known to wear a fuzzy pink thong and fuzzy pink slippers along with a fuzzy pink tie and fuzzy pink cuffs. 8) ;D ;D
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.