Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-08-05, 09:34 AM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Sight fishing Opinions

Well since some folks down south are getting ready to or already seeing some of the spawn, we reach the time for the always good discussion of SIGHT FISHING. The main reason folks dislike it, is because they are usually targetting BIG FEMALES on their beds. Some say it makes a huge difference in the chances for a good reproduction, and possible mortality of the female. I want to hear what you folks think on the subject. Yes I know some folks will disagree on this one, please keep it civilized

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 09:51 AM   #2
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd
Default Re: Sight fishing Opinions

I ain't getting into this one. It's been a long winter.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 05:53 PM   #3
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Cajun,
I'm with you on this one!

Lizard,
This is a pretty rough subject, especially when you are dealing with ethical situations. I of course have my opinion, but I believe I will keep it to myself out of respect for those who fish competitively and depend on these tactics to win. Plus I consider everyone on this board to be good people and I would rather not ruffle any feathers. Other than that good topic, we can always count on you!

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 06:18 PM   #4
TheBassMan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TheBassMan

Here is my 2 cents. If you are fishing the beds just for fun and not keeping your fish, then go ahead and go after the big females. Research has shown that the females return almost instantly to the nest before much damamge can be done.

Now, there are 2 sides to this point. if you are in a tourney, do what it takes to win for yourself.

-or-

If you are in a tourney, don't fish the beds because you have to keep the fish to weigh in and this damages the beds and takes too long for the females to find them again.

I personally say in tourneys, fish the beds as a last resort. Try every other tactic first, then try the beds because it does damage the future of bass fishing.

Again, just fishing immediate catch and release, go ahead have fun fishing the beds, but make sure you have a proper release.

I'm sure this will fuel some replies but I am ready. ;D

Catch em up
Brian
TheBassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 06:43 PM   #5
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

The problem with sight fishing is that people are going to do it no matter what. I mean if you were just fishing for example, and you saw a 15 pound bass on her bed are you telling me you wouldn't make several casts to that spot? Just make that into a pattern and you have sight fishing.

Its going to be up to biologists to determine how this fairly recent technique is going to affect the overall bass populations. It is concievable that if this becomes too much of a problem then there may have to be a catch-and-release season for some states during the months of feb-april.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 06:57 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

if this gets to bad is it possible that sight fishing can become illegal? i would really like to say that if i saw a 15 lb bass just sitting in front of me i wouldnt try to catch it but i would probally be lieing. also if the water is stained or muddy how is it possible for the bass to be seen?
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 07:19 PM   #7
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Makitcnt4u

I am catch and release and never fish tourneys. How do you sight fish? I can never see the fish. Either the water is too stained and muddy or the glare on the surface keeps me from seeing even with my sunglasses on. What depth is the maximum for sight fishing?
Makitcnt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 07:28 PM   #8
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

How on earth could you enforce a ban on sight fishing, other than having a navy of game wardens driving around in boats ticketing people who were looking too intently at the water?

At most all you could do is limit fishing during the spawning months in some fashion.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 07:32 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i meant to say they could ban it from tournys. im pretty sure tourny fisherers are ethical enough to not do it. it would be more of a thing of trust more than a law. cause i would think that most fishermen would be ethical enough to not do it and follow the rules
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 07:50 PM   #10
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

as i wont get it this one much i would like to hear from bassman on this subject. heard he got hung out to dry in a tourny.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 08:16 PM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=lonestarboater link=board=MessBoards;num=1107866059;start=0#6 date=02/08/05 at 17:19:18]I am catch and release and never fish tourneys. How do you sight fish? I can never see the fish. Either the water is too stained and muddy or the glare on the surface keeps me from seeing even with my sunglasses on. What depth is the maximum for sight fishing?[/quote]

Sight fishing is when you see a bass in the water, and target that bass. Usually done when fish are on beds. That is why lots of folks don't care for it. You can sight fish any depth as long as you can see the fish.

As for my opinion, well I have to admit I would sight fish unless banned. The reason is I believe if the water has too little fish or is in troulbe, then fishing during the spawn should be banned until the fishery recovers. I wouldn't even dream passing up a chance to catch a 10lber if I saw it, unless it was illegal. I fish and hunt, so I expect some mortality, it's a fact of life. I don't intetionally kill anything unless I'm going to eat it, but if you love our sport and pursue it, you will kill some fish. I also believe that if it's a BIG female, it has had more than ample time to have it's genes reproduced(many reports ay the older the bass, the less likely the eggs are to survive). Fish aren't any different from other wildlife it's survival of the fittest. So if it's survived long enough it will have already spread it's genes. Now if the fishery is in trouble all of this goes out the window. I'm with WTL there is absolutely no way to keep people from sight fishing, unless you make it illegal to fish during the spawn, even folks who practice catch and release will still sight fish.

Lizards
Old 02-08-05, 08:29 PM   #12
DelawareBass-R
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to DelawareBass-R Send a message via MSN to DelawareBass-R

sight-fishing doesnt necissarily have to be during the spawn either. I used to sight fish in wisconsin during mid-summer, they would be cruising shallow water in early morning and as the sun got up they would be under docks or trees, somehitng with shade. throw a worm at them and wham! caught some of my biggest bass this way.
Old 02-08-05, 08:34 PM   #13
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Well I was planning on bed-fishing for my next tournament, but it looks like a big ol' cold front is gonna move through and knock them off the beds anyway.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 08:54 PM   #14
TheBassMan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TheBassMan

Quote:
How on earth could you enforce a ban on sight fishing, other than having a navy of game wardens driving around in boats ticketing people who were looking too intently at the water?
Exactly.....What are htey going to say???......Hey buddy, you looked at that fish and then tried to catch it!!!

No sir, I swear I didn't!

Yes you did.

No I didn't!!!!!!!!!

Alright son, you're under arrest!!!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Catch em up
Brian
TheBassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 09:31 PM   #15
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Makitcnt4u

I was just wondering because I always see it on the fishing shows. The guy sees the fish then twitches it in front of the fish till the fish bites it but I never have seen any of the fish underwater.
Makitcnt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 09:38 PM   #16
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I've never sight fished, one reason being that our season is closed until the 3rd Saturday in June, usually well past the spawn in most waters. Sight fishing sounds sorta unethical, yet many waters which have sight fishing continue to be good fisheries.

Quote:
How on earth could you enforce a ban on sight fishing,
You couldn't, but if it was illegal, many anglers would obey it just because they are the type that wants to stay within regulations. There are other unenforceable regs, such as not keeping foul-hooked fish and no culling allowed. If a state wants to outlaw something, difficult enforcement shouldn't prevent them from enacting the regulation.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 09:39 PM   #17
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

[quote author=lonestarboater link=board=MessBoards;num=1107866059;start=0#14 date=02/08/05 at 19:31:38]I was just wondering because I always see it on the fishing shows. Â*The guy sees the fish then twitches it in front of the fish till the fish bites it but I never have seen any of the fish underwater.[/quote]

*hint* Sight fishing doesn't work that well in muddy water. And you should get a good pair of polarized sunglasses to see well.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 09:52 PM   #18
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Marty link=board=MessBoards;num=1107866059;start=0#15 date=02/08/05 at 19:38:17]I've never sight fished, one reason being that our season is closed until the 3rd Saturday in June, usually well past the spawn in most waters. Sight fishing sounds sorta unethical, yet many waters which have sight fishing continue to be good fisheries.[/quote]

I'm a hunter and Deer season always corresponds to the rut(mating season), as do many hunting seasons. SO why would it be any different than that, it's a game/sport fish. So if we're gonna get fired up at that issue, we had better remember all the other hunting seasons, and what about the Salmon runs are done also? Everything seems to be done around mating times. Sight fishing is done by all of the pros when fishing a tourney if they see it. Why allow these folks to do it, and then ban others from the same thing.

Quote:
You couldn't, but if it was illegal, many anglers would obey it just because they are the type that wants to stay within regulations. There are other unenforceable regs, such as not keeping foul-hooked fish and no culling allowed. If a state wants to outlaw something, difficult enforcement shouldn't prevent them from enacting the regulation.
As much as I like to think I'm a honest guy, if I saw it, and it was huge, I'd throw my line over at it. If they would ban fishing during this time, then it's a mute point.

Just trying to put it into perspective.

Lizards
Old 02-08-05, 10:34 PM   #19
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

in jersey our bass season is closed from april 15th till june 15th.all bass are catch and release only.even if we catch spawning bass they have to go right back in the water.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 10:34 PM   #20
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Touchy subject here but I have to go with Lizards. I hunt/fish. I dont take doe out of season, I dont shoot spotted fawns, but if it has horns it's going down. The only time I dont do this is if the landowner sets restrictions or they are trying to weed out certain bucks for breeding. Same for fishing. If I knew the fishery was in trouble- by all means leave the beds alone. If not catch and photo and release. If in a tourney and thats what puts food on your table I gonna go for it. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 11:44 AM   #21
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Lizard,
You can't compare fishing to deer hunting during their respective mating seasons. One reason is that they don't have similar population numbers, for example a pond or lake can only sustain a certain number of bass. Whereas deer don't have population barriers, they breed till their numbers become dangerous, come drive down some backroads in KY if you don't believe me, and hit one with your car and then you will be thankful that they have hunting seasons. bass can only be compared to bass and deer can only be compared to deer.

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 03:21 PM   #22
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Kybasser link=board=MessBoards;num=1107866059;start=0#20 date=02/09/05 at 09:44:22]Lizard,
You can't compare fishing to deer hunting during their respective mating seasons. One reason is that they don't have similar population numbers, for example a pond or lake can only sustain a certain number of bass. Whereas deer don't have population barriers, they breed till their numbers become dangerous, come drive down some backroads in KY if you don't believe me, and hit one with your car and then you will be thankful that they have hunting seasons. bass can only be compared to bass and deer can only be compared to deer.

Kybasser[/quote]

You have a good point, but to be honest, deer, just like fisheries need to be managed. That's why they change the buck tags from county to county. If a fishery has too many small bass for example, some need to be culled, if you want bigger fish. And yes deer do get overpopulated, as do bass or other species. My point was just to bring to light that just about every hunting season, is built around mating/nesting. So based on how this is regulated, the fisheries should be able to be kept in good shape. It's all relative to how it's managed, and enforced.

Lizards
Old 02-09-05, 04:22 PM   #23
pond_hopper
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to pond_hopper

Quote:
i meant to say they could ban it from tournys. im pretty sure tourny fisherers are ethical enough to not do it. it would be more of a thing of trust more than a law. cause i would think that most fishermen would be ethical enough to not do it and follow the rules
You can bet that some rely on it in the tourneys because there were some upset pros in the 2005 CITGO Bassmaster Pro Tour — Harris Chain, Fla. when someone went around and hooked the bass on the beds during practice for the sole reason of making them reluctant to bite the next day during the tournament becasue he had a late draw and knew he would be beat to the beds by lots of other boats. Boy were some guys like Martin pissed.
pond_hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 06:09 PM   #24
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

As stated by Dion Hibdon "any big bass that you catch shallow in that time of year is a bedding bass"
During a Top VI my partner and I went to an area where I knew fish were bedded up but that was a week ago.(I was a co-angler) He insisted of fishing for these buck bass (12"-15&quot and advised me to pitch my jig on one of these stumps that the female had layed her eggs on.
1. The big females were gone, so why were we even here?
2. These fish were small. If one that he was attempting to catch would have measured it would have surprised me.
3. He failed to catch any bedding bass . Our bigger fish came from a deep cove.
This is one of those times when the non-boater needs to fish a different technique than the guy in the front.

bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 06:15 PM   #25
United_Bass_._Com
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to United_Bass_._Com

Well IMO i dont think that sight fishing will hurt the population of bass in lakes, because for every fish you see on the nest there is about 2 dozen nest you never see.(probably more than that) Â*Alot of fish will come in of a night find an old bed and use it and leave before she is ever seen by a fisherman.

I love sight fishing. I dont get to do much of it because our lake is so deep and clear they nest 10' deep, but if i make it down south during the right time i sight fish if the chance arises.

It would be hard to make SF illegal. As it would be to make any method illegal. Â*I guess they can make it like the north and have no fishing during the spawing months but i dont think that will happen.

Lastly everyone that site fishes knows how hard it is to catch nesting fish. Â*I fished for an hour tryin to catch a big female a few years ago in south carolina. Â*Never did catch her that day. Â*Went right back the next moring and a turtle was sitting in the nest eating the buffet. Â*Turtles are harder on them than us fishermen. Â*;D KILL THE TURTLES!! :P ( she would have been 8-9 lb.)
United_Bass_._Com is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.