Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-11, 11:43 PM   #1
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Wacky Worming

Anybody use this technique? I tried it today for the first time, and caught two 3-4 pound bass, and one 6 pound bass. I didn't think it was going to work real well, but they weren't hittin' on lures, so I decided to give it a shot and MAN! They tore it up!
Mr.Bassmaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 01:11 AM   #2
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i was like u, a non-believer till i caught 8 large mouths on them a couple of weeks ago. they weren't going for anything else but these
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 03:49 AM   #3
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I wacky rig, but do so on the drop shot usually.

The thing I like about it is its simplicity and effectiveness.
Old 06-08-11, 06:35 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'll resort to the wacky rig if the bass seem to be in a negative mood and often it pays off good.
Old 06-08-11, 10:59 AM   #5
WatterBoy

I use wacky-rigged senkos a lot -- probably 75% of the time. Sometimes just a plain wacky-rig and sometimes wacky on a dropshot like IB does. I use both 5" and 7" senkos. Catches a ton of fish for me on the particular lake I fish almost exclusively.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 11:20 AM   #6
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I resisted the wacky for many years. That was just dumb. It's a deadly technique and i now have a dedicated rig for it. One of my favorite wacky baits is any brand of senko style stick baits. I rig them with rubber O Rings. Yoiu can get a tool that hold several rings and makes it easy to slide a ring off in the center of the bait, but i found that it's just as easy to slide one O ring on by hand. I then use Gammy weedless finesse wide gaps or in open water I use the regular finesse wide gap. I just loop the hook through the O ring without hooking it in the bait. This works great as 90% of the time the bait will slide up your line during the fight and when you land the fish, your bait with O ring is in perfect shape and just needs to be slid back into place. It takes a lot of patience to fish these rigs with no weight, but in the right conditions, nothing works better.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 12:34 PM   #7
Bassboss

Personally I like a texas rig senko better, but wacky riggin is great too!

My dad used to wacky rig manns jelly worms way back in the day before the technique was popularized.
Old 06-08-11, 12:51 PM   #8
WaffleJaw

Ive been using the wacky worm a lot lately....The Yum fork dinger has been my go to...I had some fish Carolina rigging it too!
Old 06-08-11, 04:39 PM   #9
walkeraviator

Im still figuring out the wacky senko. I have caught one small fish on it bank fishing a local lake, but havent figure out when the right time and place is to throw this thing when out on teh boat with dad.

So when do you fish it? Where do you fish it? I mainly fish lakes that have zero grass of any kind... where could this thing be used?
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 04:52 PM   #10
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Im still figuring out the wacky senko. I have caught one small fish on it bank fishing a local lake, but havent figure out when the right time and place is to throw this thing when out on teh boat with dad.

So when do you fish it? Where do you fish it? I mainly fish lakes that have zero grass of any kind... where could this thing be used?
when: anytime of the day. i hardly fish nights so it might work then also.

where: i was on my buddy's jon boat bank fishing. cast it as close as possible to the bank & twitch it back slowly. man they were hitting them that day. caught 8 LM & my buddy caught 6 & that's not including the ones we lost.

grassless or grass, wacky rig is so versatile that it'll work anywhere imo.
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 06:24 PM   #11
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, from what I've seen, it can pretty much be used whenever, wherever. I just cast it out about 15-20 feet from the bank and let it sink to the bottom, and then just jerk the worm slightly. You'll usually feel a couple hits and then a big thump. Because its pretty much weedless, you can fish it in stick, weeds, grass,and anything else!

Quote:

Old 06-08-11, 07:41 PM   #12
woody

I was also skeptical...not any more. It's very effective, to say the least.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 04:47 PM   #13
DaveW731

Default When/Where to go wacky....

I agree that about any time of the day is fine. In terms of location, I use it most when I want to keep the bait in one spot for as long as possible. Just a slight twictch of the rod will impart lots of action without moving the bait more than a few inches horizontally. This means I am almost always throwing it in heavy cover or edges (eg., pockets of open water in lily pads, between downed tree limbs, along dropoffs and weedlines ) or if I've located a school.
I do NOT use it if I want to cover water, or if the fish seem to want a more active presentation.
I also like using it in current for smallmouth, where I am letting the river move the bait downstream and I provide an occasional twitch as I follow the bait with the rod tip.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 10:44 AM   #14
Deckape
BassFishin.Com Member

Hi guys, have any of you ever used the Spike-it garlic while wacky rigged? I am gonna try it tommorrow. I have some White Zoom 6inch trick worms dyed with the red. Where I am fishing here in Virginia in the Northwest River, the water temp was 83 last Saturday. I expect it is 85 at least now. The water is almost black stained. And it is a slow flowing river with coves and lots of cover and structure. It is also relatively shallow. Just wondering if I am on to something or barking up the wrong tree. I plan on trying it and will report my success or failure.

Last edited by Deckape; 06-10-11 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Alot of TYPOS
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 01:21 PM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckape View Post
Hi guys, have any of you ever used the Spike-it garlic while wacky rigged? I am gonna try it tommorrow. I have some White Zoom 6inch trick worms dyed with the red. Where I am fishing here in Virginia in the Northwest River, the water temp was 83 last Saturday. I expect it is 85 at least now. The water is almost black stained. And it is a slow flowing river with coves and lots of cover and structure. It is also relatively shallow. Just wondering if I am on to something or barking up the wrong tree. I plan on trying it and will report my success or failure.
Sounds good Deck! I've definitely had good luck with scent in water with low visibility.

Looking forward to the report!
Old 06-10-11, 01:27 PM   #16
Deckape
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Boss
Old 06-10-11, 01:59 PM   #17
walkeraviator

I use chartreuse Garlic Spike-It dip on the tails of my worms. Dont think it causes fish to hit it so much as hold on longer when they do get ahold of it.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 02:08 PM   #18
Deckape
BassFishin.Com Member

These bass are really over pressured and the water is very hot. Not expecting much but any day fishing beats work. I wil let you all know what happened
Old 06-10-11, 02:26 PM   #19
cassidyta

Quote:

Walker when throwing into spots like you have described, I find that I do a little better by wacky rigging on a 1/8 oz jig head. I know that this defeats the slow fall part of the rig, but I find that I get hit a little more often with this rig when fishing in th eopen.
Old 06-11-11, 04:54 PM   #20
keithdog

I just bought amoung other things at BPS one package each of 3/32 oz. and 3/16 oz. Buckeye FLICK-IT wacky jig heads for working deeper weedlines. Can't wait to give it a try!
Old 06-12-11, 07:17 PM   #21
Panthrosan

My go-to bait at the moment is a Zoom Finesse Worm in Watermelon Magic rigged wacky on a Gammy or Owner 3/0 hook on 30lb Braid with a 3 foot 12lb BPS Fluoro leader. I cast it at around a 30degree angle along the shoreline and let it sink, and then give it a few pops and reel in the slack, and more often than not, as I am reeling in the slack I feel some weight and just pull back and the fish hooks themselves.
Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 08:33 PM   #22
sdesi2010
BassFishin.Com Member

Absolutely love to wacky rig yum dingers. Catch em all day long
sdesi2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 04:45 PM   #23
DaveW731

Default Yum Dingers vs. Senkos

I like Dingers for wacky rigging as well. Pretty durable, usually hold up for a few fish. Senkos on the other hand tear apart more, BUT I think they have better action on the fall for the same reason: softer!
Also, Dingers are less dense, so sink more slowly; can be an advantage in heavy weeds and shallower water. Conversely, Senkos are hard to beat if you are in deeper water and don't want to use lead.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 01:36 PM   #24
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bassmaster29 View Post
Anybody use this technique? I tried it today for the first time, and caught two 3-4 pound bass, and one 6 pound bass. I didn't think it was going to work real well, but they weren't hittin' on lures, so I decided to give it a shot and MAN! They tore it up!
Are you throwing the weightless Wacky or the wacky jig head style.
Old 06-14-11, 02:23 PM   #25
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm just using the weightless wacky. I usually get the bites on the fall, so the slower the better for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Are you throwing the weightless Wacky or the wacky jig head style.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.