Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-25-13, 08:05 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default What I learned from the Classic

If you want to learn a lot, visit the WAR Room during next tournament.

Ok the technical things I learned.
The anglers DO NOT sandbag!
The Marshall's estimate the weights and there is only ONE rule, the angler CAN NOT tell the Marshall what weight to put.
The Bass Trax is in the Marshals boat, not the anglers.
Most anglers don't like the Bass Trax system. gives away alot of information not only about location but based on 'where' they are fishing tells you a lot about 'what' they are fishing.

Vast majority of tourneys on the Grand are won using the 'alabama rig'.
I can only tell you that not allowing the Alabama rig brought GREAT excitement to the final weigh-in if not the whole tournament.
Most of the Pros HATE throwing the Alabama rig. They do feel the 'Elite Series' should stand up to a stronger ethic or rules.
Only the Elite Series disallows the rig and I agree with the decision.
This year NO multiple lure rigs allowed, no double fluke, no drop shot with a jig as weight, one line, one pole, one lure.

The anglers go to great lengths to hide that special color or lure.
To the extent of putting a different lure in the fishes mouth before a pic is taken. As with the photo with Ike and his catches lure in it's mouth didn't have a line tied to it.

Fronts on cold water lakes works the opposite of a Front on a warm water BOW. Many an angler knows this but RARELY is it talked about.
A quick water temp increase can shut down the bite just like a cold front in Florida shuts the bite down. "This may have been the most informative thing I learned."

I've always believed that small tweaks are BIG money makers.
The War Room solidified this for me. Anglers using a blue jerk or silver/black back jerk were doing a lot better than the traditional 'greens' that the MAJORITY were fishing.
WiggleWarts were kind of written off on Grand even though they are BIG on Lake Fork and others.
We see how that thought worked.
Even though traditional thought and past success figured this lure wouldn't be a good choice.

And I re-learned how tough and how much effort goes into being the BEST!
How much WORK is involved in being a PRO.
How many of you would/could make 800-1000 casts three 8 hr days in a row and continue doing the same thing after getting 6-8 bites, not catches, BITES?
How many would go against popular thought and do what they felt would work and again stick to it?
Wiggle Wart was discussed early and kind of written off by popular thought. Wiggle is BIG on Lake fork but not on the Grand.
It doesn't matter how many electronic gadgets you got, hydro-wave included, it still comes down to execution. Kevin was a great example of this.
Guys sleeping in Tundras and planning on doing the same in the future even though they are the 'elite'.
Anglers unhappy with their performance based strictly on how the public would view their sponsors.
How loyal to the sponsors the pros are. I've never heard the NASCAR drivers spend the majority of their speech talking sponsors.

Last edited by joedog; 02-25-13 at 08:16 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 02:20 PM   #2
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post

The Marshal isn't in the same boat as the angler?

I have a hard time believing that...would love to see the numbers to back that up.

WiggleWarts were kind of written off on Grand even though they are BIG on Lake Fork and others.
Even though traditional thought and past success figured this lure wouldn't be a good choice.
How many total bass were caught during the classic and how many were caught using a Wiggle Wart? I think I heard one angler mention using one, but maybe I missed a bunch of others?
See above...
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 04:21 PM   #3
joedog

Originally Posted by joedog

The Marshal isn't in the same boat as the angler?

Just telling you what the Pros in the War Room shared.

I have a hard time believing that...would love to see the numbers to back that up.
I'm just stating what Zona and three other Pros said in the War Room. One was also a guide on the grand and LIVED on the Grand..

How many total bass were caught during the classic and how many were caught using a Wiggle Wart? I think I heard one angler mention using one, but maybe I missed a bunch of others?
I know of four but again, this is what the PROS said in the War Room.I'm in NO POSITION TO DOUBT WHAT THE PROS SAY, maybe some of you are but I NEVER will have thier SKILL or KNOWLEDGE.

This is what I LEARNED.
This is one time I didn't check the facts because I'm just sharing WHAT I LEARNED.
Plus my guess is that the use of Alabamas in fresh water is pretty new and there probably isn't a lot of printed stats yet.

Use this information or don't use it, I'm just sharing what the PROS said.
Old 02-25-13, 04:46 PM   #4
aikenyounggun

Marshall is usually in the same boat, I think more what that means is the Marshall makes the call on what the fish weighs, not the anglers.
Old 02-25-13, 06:48 PM   #5
kennethdaysale

I thought Grand was an excellent venue. I think basstrakk makes the whole thing sorta lame. If I were in the audience and applauded and hollered at the appropriate volume and duration but it somehow wasn't good enough for that idiot Mercer then he could kiss my natural a$$ Who Who does he think he's talking to? kindergarten kids? at a wrestlin match? a wet t-shirt contest? I don't like him AT ALL
Old 02-25-13, 08:30 PM   #6
Jrob78

Mercer is freaking terrible! He is the worst. I hate him. From "ARE YOU READY TO WEIGH IN?!?!?!" to "Boom Shaka Laka GGGGGGiant Bass!!" He couldn't be any worse.
Old 02-25-13, 08:47 PM   #7
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Mercer is freaking terrible! He is the worst. I hate him. From "ARE YOU READY TO WEIGH IN?!?!?!" to "Boom Shaka Laka GGGGGGiant Bass!!" He couldn't be any worse.
That and everyone was "digging DEEP in the live well" even though many of them had less than a limit or hardly any weight. What really annoys me every year, though, is when he excitedly announces what place someone is in or that someone is above the cut line when there are still 20, 30, or more guys to weigh in yet and EVERYONE KNOWS that guy is going to slide WAY down in the standings or NOT EVEN BE CLOSE to making the cut by the end of weigh-in.

All that being said, I actually thought he was more palatable than prior years.

I don't suppose there is any chance he'll be replaced any time soon???
Old 02-25-13, 08:57 PM   #8
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
All that being said, I actually thought he was more palatable than prior years.
I have to agree, he's actually gotten slightly less annoying than he was when he started. Either that or we've just gotten used to him. He's lost a ton of weight too.
Old 02-25-13, 09:07 PM   #9
WatterBoy

Quote:
I have to agree, he's actually gotten slightly less annoying than he was when he started. Either that or we've just gotten used to him. He's lost a ton of weight too.
It seemed like he wasn't as "loud and in our face" quite as much, but maybe I am just getting used to him. And it seemed like there were a lot fewer "Boom Shaka Laka GGGGGGiant Bass!!" calls this year and thankfully no "hydrilla gorillas"...maybe we should make this a permanent venue.
Old 02-25-13, 09:14 PM   #10
joedog

Smile Homework

The Marshal deal.
Ya I think I misunderstood what they were saying.

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/marsh...tended-classic

But what I guess confused me more is photos like the one under; 'Suspense is in the Air'.
Only two people in boat and ONE has a camera.
So do Marshals have video equipment too?
http://www.bassmaster.com/blogs/2013...ssic-live-blog

Alabama rigs in Tourneys.

As I figured, not much mentioned anywhere except about Elias and BASS' ban.

Wiggle Warts
Although stick baits are one of the primary baits, crank baits, like the Wiggle Wart are catching the majority of bass. The famous football jig is collecting some quality fish as the fishermen were confronted with a severe cold front and high clear skies for day one of the 2013 Bass Master Classic.

Taken from here,
http://www.respoolin.com/News/NewsText/114

The rest I guess I'll just take their word on.
Old 02-25-13, 09:16 PM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

If you look at the photos, after the first & second day, the leaders have cameramen in the boat with them. They might have a tag along marshal who inputs the data from an alternate boat? Don't know, just thinkin'.

I noticed whether you do a perfect windmill before head spinning on the front of your boat or act solemn and humble, your gonna get bashed for your actions after winning a Classic. Pace didn't show much reaction, everything looked like it was in slow motion to us, but so fast to him that he couldn't react. I think he was really in a state of shock. From what I hear, he is a real quiet person. I can't lie, I would have been fist bumping and throwing 21 butt slapping, air hump salutes all over the place, but everyman his own. (Just for note, I wouldn't have really done that and I would have told knuckle nuts, he couldn't look any gayer dancing like that on the front of his boat.)
Old 02-25-13, 09:17 PM   #12
Tavery5

I learned that the water and air temp don't bother the fish half as much as it does the fisherman.
Old 02-25-13, 09:31 PM   #13
joedog

Just remembered something.

Didn't Ike swap boats with the Marshal when his broke down.
I guess Kory could tell us if each boat has a Marshal in at Launch.
He was at launch I believe?
Old 02-25-13, 09:44 PM   #14
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I learned that the water and air temp don't bother the fish half as much as it does the fisherman.
Ditto.

I also learned that many fishermen "learned a little something" or "figured something out" during today's session and have a good plan for tomorrow. After "tomorrow's session", however, I learned that many of those same fishermen didn't fare well because "it was the second day after a front went through".

Oh, and I was reminded again (for the 100th time????) what a complete tool Ike can be on the water and how much I can't stand him!
Old 02-25-13, 10:16 PM   #15
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Oh, and I was reminded again (for the 100th time????) what a complete tool Ike can be on the water and how much I can't stand him!

Not an Ike fan myself.
Old 02-25-13, 10:29 PM   #16
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Who is he anyway? How did he get that gig? He's not famous-he's not a pro-he's not entertaining-he's not funny-he's not a stem winder like McGinnis...........so who the heck is he?? I think I'd rather see that red headed guy from some years back....can't think of his name now but he used to fish for "Team Granny" you know his name. He was kinda obnoxious too but at least he was funny.

And I think I know what Ike's trying to do with that gangsta straight bill hat-jersey shore style-excessive vulgar talk deal. Trying to make bass fishing appeal to that set of people, unfortunately I don't think that crowd really wants to bass fish, at least I NEVER see them out on the lake or even cruising the aisles of BPS. He is popular with many people nonetheless.......just not me.

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 02-25-13 at 10:36 PM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 10:44 PM   #17
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
(Just for note, I wouldn't have really done that and I would have told knuckle nuts, he couldn't look any gayer dancing like that on the front of his boat.)
C'mon Bubba you know good and dadgum well you would have jumped up barked and blown sparks out yo a$$ ifn it was you up there!

AND if you're talking about the Chippendale dude that said you can't have a party without a SHO.............no need to be surprised...........he's butt buddys with Nate Wellman
Old 02-26-13, 12:33 AM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Who is he anyway? How did he get that gig? He's not famous-he's not a pro-he's not entertaining-he's not funny-he's not a stem winder like McGinnis...........so who the heck is he?? I think I'd rather see that red headed guy from some years back....can't think of his name now but he used to fish for "Team Granny" you know his name. He was kinda obnoxious too but at least he was funny.

And I think I know what Ike's trying to do with that gangsta straight bill hat-jersey shore style-excessive vulgar talk deal. Trying to make bass fishing appeal to that set of people, unfortunately I don't think that crowd really wants to bass fish, at least I NEVER see them out on the lake or even cruising the aisles of BPS. He is popular with many people nonetheless.......just not me.
Dave Mercer is a Canadian fishing show host. He has a show on WFN, called The Facts of Fishing. I think I read it's coming to The Outdoor Channel. I don't know if he is a tournament fisherman in Canada but they didn't just pluck him off the streets. He's a pretty big name in Canada.

Fish Fishburn is the redheaded guy your thinking of.

Joedog, Ike switched boats with Elite Pro, Kevin Ledoux. He was driving the photographers around the lake. The Marshals only follow the Pros when they have a camera man in the boat with them, which was only the top 6. If a guy is making a charge, they might throw a camera man on his boat mid day.

Also, the pros guess the weights for basstrakk. It's well known that Ike overestimates, Skeet (and a few others) underestimate and Aaron Martens is always dead on.
Old 02-26-13, 02:07 AM   #19
Jrob78

Here's a little inside info on Cliff Pace.

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/who-cliff-pace
Old 02-26-13, 03:05 AM   #20
joedog

Joe thanks for clearing things up.
But,
A marshal also serves as the crucial link in BASSTrakk, Bassmaster’s electronic catch-reporting system that tells fans on shore what’s happening on the water. Every time a Classic angler boats a fish, his marshal will log the catch on the pre-programmed device that’s been issued to him. A few minutes of training are all it takes to learn how to operate the unit, which is much like a cell phone.

The topic came up in the War Room and they brought in some little guy, maybe the guy who does the actual weighing on stage.
He was the 'rule man' and he said, "Only two rules, Marshal sends in estimate and ANGLERS can not tell the Marshal what weight to put."

This came about directly and conversed a lot because the 'guesses' were so off that everyone was talking about the anglers sandbagging.
Old 02-26-13, 03:23 AM   #21
Jrob78

Quote:
Joe thanks for clearing things up.
But,
A marshal also serves as the crucial link in BASSTrakk, Bassmaster’s electronic catch-reporting system that tells fans on shore what’s happening on the water. Every time a Classic angler boats a fish, his marshal will log the catch on the pre-programmed device that’s been issued to him. A few minutes of training are all it takes to learn how to operate the unit, which is much like a cell phone.

The topic came up in the War Room and they brought in some little guy, maybe the guy who does the actual weighing on stage.
He was the 'rule man' and he said, "Only two rules, Marshal sends in estimate and ANGLERS can not tell the Marshal what weight to put."

This came about directly and conversed a lot because the 'guesses' were so off that everyone was talking about the anglers sandbagging.
If that's true, (and I'm not saying it isn't,) this Classic is the first time that's been implemented. The anglers have always given their weights to the Marshals. I don't think the inexperienced Marshals would be anymore accurate than the sandbagging anglers.

Personally, I'm not a fan of basstrakk, they've been doing it for a couple of years and it hasn't gotten any better than when it started. I'm definitely not a fan of the live maps, updating angler's locations throughout the day. I would much rather find out how the day went at the weigh in, BassTrakk takes the suspense out of the results and does a poor, inaccurate job of it. It's like BASS is trying to ride the coat tails of MLF. The live updates work for MLF but not for BASS, it's two completely different things and MLF is tracking 8 guys, not 53.
Old 02-26-13, 06:16 AM   #22
joedog

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/marsh...tended-classic

7th paragraph
Old 02-26-13, 11:42 AM   #23
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I know several local anglers who fish tourneys at Grand. Last year, they all said that it was imposible to win a local tourney there if you didn't use an A rig. That seemed to be true for winter through late spring. After the spawn, the A rigs didn't produce better than normal baits. The use of A rigs during winter and pre spawn were responsible for previously unheard of weights at local tourneys.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 12:43 PM   #24
Jrob78

Quote:
Joe, they've been doing this for a few years, it isn't new.
Old 02-26-13, 06:31 PM   #25
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Where was the Classic held this year? I haven't paid any attention for several years. Who won... how much weight?

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.