Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-03-08, 05:53 PM   #1
surfman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trolling Motor Choice ?

This is not exactly a bass boat question, but similair.
I bought an 18ft 1998 Kenner semi-tunnel boat last spring. I'm told it is shaped like a Mako. It is a Center Console.

The wife and I have had it in the water 5 times, and lost 3 anchors already!

It does not have a trolling motor, and I need one to make bass fishing easier for me. I was told by previous owner that I need a 50inch shaft. However, I want to use a 12 volt motor. It would be nice to get one suitable for salt water as well.

does such a motor exist? Where should I look and what brands do you suggest?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
surfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 06:17 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

not sure but i think captain mike has a a big mako. a 50" shaft is MASSIVE i have a 42" shaft on my moter guide and rarely have it come out of the water..-i have a stratos bass boat-i like moter guide but this is just me.. i have the door and latch system. i really like this i use the same mount differant moter when i go play in the salt.. the thing i DON'T like is the hand controls..

zooker
Old 02-03-08, 06:38 PM   #3
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

I have a 14' aluminum Sea Nymph and we just, I mean just (today), mounted a MotorGuide, 45 lb., 52" shaft, and she fits perfect. After mounting it we thought the orignal 48" shaft we originally were looking at would have been to small. By the way, it is a 52" shaft and is 12 volt.

-Lunk-
Old 02-04-08, 06:24 AM   #4
1FASTLASER

Both MG and MinnKota both sell trollers designed primarily for use in salt water. They also have shaft sizes to 60" I beleive is the longest I have seen. The saltwater motors are a little more expensive ............not much ........due to the extra care taken to seal the motor up from the elements.
Old 02-04-08, 09:18 AM   #5
surfman
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for your advice. Last spring I mounted a great white on the bow. It had a release plate, so you could take the motor off and put it inside the motel room when you travel. But, the danged thing was sooooo heavy and long, you hated to do it! Also, it had just a small head on the motor, which you grabbed with one hand, pulled straight up, then laid down when you are "running". (I returned it due to electrical problem with my boat--which I have corrected now).
I think this time I'd like a saltwater motor that is lighter, and has one of those plates that bass boat trolling motors have, where you grab a rope and the motor leaves the water and lays down smoothly. Problem is, bass boats sit much closer to the water line than this boat. Well, I guess it's off to Bass Pro Shop to see what's available.
Old 02-04-08, 09:23 AM   #6
Captmikestarrett

I would go with a 24 volt White motor Rip Tide or the Motor Guide. Always and say always over power with your trolling motor. It will save your life someday. A 60 inch shaft in Rip Tide adds about 200 bucks to the price. It can be adjusted up or down.

But lets get down to brass tacks and understand why you lose anchors?

Is it rocky?
Is it a shell bed?
Is it a river / lake / tidal or not?

There are some very cool anchors out there that would work for you.

Type of rope and how many shots of chain also make a big difference..

Capt Mike
Old 02-05-08, 05:02 PM   #7
surfman
BassFishin.Com Member

Went by Master Marine Boat Dealer here in San Antonio to price Trolling motors and observe how they were mounted on boats. They only sold Motor Guide, claiming they are most trouble free brand. Wanted $300 to install whatever model I chose.

Went to Bass Pro Shop here in San Antonio,and found Motor Guide to be cheaper than Minn-Kota models. Also found Bass Pro Shop to be cheaper on Motor Guide models than Master Marine Boat Dealer.

I think I will follow Lunker-Lander's lead and get the saltwater 52 inch shaft. Bass Pro Shop will install the motor for $200.

Now I can't decide what type of "pull" I want to raise the motor. They have something called a "gator" which is steel with holes in the top. They have some as plastic, that you pull the rope and it folds up on bow. They also have the digital where there is just a little plate, and a remote control guides the boat. This requires a smaller mounting plate, and has a quick release from removing the motor from the boat.

I usually prefer simplicity and will probably get the "gator" . Is a 52 inch shaft hard to raise with this gator mount?

Opinions on all the above please, from you guys who use them hard every week!
Old 02-06-08, 04:41 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett

I usually prefer simplicity and will probably get the "gator" . Is a 52 inch shaft hard to raise with this gator mount?

Yes it is..

Had one tiller handle with gator mount 52 inch.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.