Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-14-11, 02:46 PM   #26
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If I am fishing a shallow water impoundment like Guntesville, I like that technique very much, especially with the Senko style baits. Over here in north Georgia where the lakes tend to be much deeper and a lot clearer, I favor the wacky jig heads when the water temps are up like they are now (upper 80s). 1/8 oz with a Jackal Flick Shake or 8" trick worm (like Zoom) can be the stick of dynamite on the big spotted bass fished on the deeper brush and rock piles. Both night and day, but more during the darker hours on Lake Allatoona.
Old 06-15-11, 03:46 PM   #27
Deckape
BassFishin.Com Member

I did not catch any bass last Saturday, however the bowfin and garr ate me up. Along with the deer flies. I had a bowfin smash my chartruse spinner bait dipped in the Spike-It red. It was completely ruined. The flukes and trick worms worked for my buddy. He loved them. I think next time I will only dip the tails an inch or so. I got some O rings coming for the 5 inch Senkos. I bought the tool for it too, only 2 bucks more or so. I will be taking this weekend off fishing but will try to go next weekend.
My fair assessment of the Spike-it Garlic Red is it works, not snake oil but not sliced bread either. I will be doing some drop shotting next time too, along with Carolina rigging for no other reason than its hottttt here. Water temp is about 85 degrees. Have a Happy Fathers Day to you Dads out there.

Last edited by Deckape; 06-15-11 at 03:47 PM. Reason: NUMEROUS TYPOs again
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 03:58 PM   #28
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthrosan View Post
My go-to bait at the moment is a Zoom Finesse Worm in Watermelon Magic rigged wacky on a Gammy or Owner 3/0 hook on 30lb Braid with a 3 foot 12lb BPS Fluoro leader. I cast it at around a 30degree angle along the shoreline and let it sink, and then give it a few pops and reel in the slack, and more often than not, as I am reeling in the slack I feel some weight and just pull back and the fish hooks themselves.
You're not the first person I've heard of using a regular worm hook for wacky rigging. Any particular reasons why you do?

BB
Old 06-15-11, 05:51 PM   #29
Panthrosan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
You're not the first person I've heard of using a regular worm hook for wacky rigging. Any particular reasons why you do?

BB
I like it because I can switch back and forth between wacky worming and weightless Texas Rigging my soft baits. It is VERY weedless and 9 times out of ten the fish hook themselves and the bait just slides up the shank of the hook and stays put so I can just slide it back down after I get the fish off the hook. I rarely use a weight at all on my soft plastics as I find the slow fluttering action either rigged wacky or Texas are what entices the fish more than something jumping around on the bottom of the pond. Maybe this is because most of the places I fish are devoid of crawfish and most of the forage is small bass, bluegill, and crappie so the bass are used to seing small thinks wiggling in the water. I like to rig a Zoom Fluke wacky from time to time and have had some good success with that as well. I just take the flat side and find the middle point and stick the hook point through the bait and cast. I let it sink a little bit and then slowly pull the rod tip up and the bait pulsates forward and then when I give it slack the Fluke slowly sinks back down and flutters. Most of the time the bass will clobber it on the sinking and the fluttering. Man this is a long post lol.
Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 12:28 AM   #30
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

Is there any way I could get some pics of the O ring setup? Everytime i get a good bite, I have to replace my worm because my hook got ripped out! So, could someone explain how it's done? Again, pics would be awesome...Thanks!
Mr.Bassmaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 03:18 PM   #31
Deckape
BassFishin.Com Member

Default O Ring tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bassmaster29 View Post
Is there any way I could get some pics of the O ring setup? Everytime i get a good bite, I have to replace my worm because my hook got ripped out! So, could someone explain how it's done? Again, pics would be awesome...Thanks!

You insert the Senko or worm into the big barrel end and roll the o ring onto the worm or senko. I found this on the BPS website. I ordered a similar one online and should be getting it tommorrow. It was only 12 bucks for the tool and 200 o rings on ebay. The BPS (above) one is about nine dollars.
Old 06-16-11, 04:56 PM   #32
boloson

heres a cheaper alternative to the o-rings:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fis...igging-my-way/

u can also use zipties to secure the worms to the hook
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 05:09 PM   #33
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

That helped a bunch! Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
heres a cheaper alternative to the o-rings:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fis...igging-my-way/

u can also use zipties to secure the worms to the hook
Old 06-16-11, 08:04 PM   #34
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

I have also found that the rubber bands that are used for braces (like on teeth) also work well. Just another cheap alternative I thought I'd throw out there.
Old 06-24-11, 04:24 PM   #35
Bassman34
BassFishin.Com Member

wacky rigging is awesome, deadly infact, that all im going to say
Bassman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 10:32 AM   #36
BassMan83
BassFishin.Com Member

I love wacky worming. And that o'wacky tool pays for itself in the first bag of worms.
BassMan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 11:03 PM   #37
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

At Cabela's last weekend, I bought the last few packs of YUM Dingers they had on sale for $2.90 (the old, LPT scented ones). Along with those, I got a pack of the new Gamakatsu Wicked Wacky hooks to try out. Can't wait to test them out. I haven't used the Wacky Rig a whole lot, but I'm gonna give it a shot at out local reservoir which is getting choked with weeds.

BB
Old 06-26-11, 07:38 AM   #38
SaminVa

I use the wacky presentation with good success... tip: get some 3/8 shrink tubing fron the hardware store, cut a piece about 3/8 long & slip onto the worm up to the middle... put the hook thru a small portion of that.. saves your worm from tearing in 2 & u can catch 3 times as many fish on 1 worm. I fish them weightles & weighted.. sometimes I put a nail or a piece of a nail in the head of the worm to give different speed drops.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.