Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-14-08, 08:26 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Crankbait Rod

I'm looking into getting a crankbait rod, and i'm going some research. I'm going to be getting a spinning outfit. I've read that longer rods are good, not too much sensitivity, and about MH power. What length/power rods do you use? Any suggestions? (I'd like to keep it under $130, but I could go a little more)

Oh, I will not be using any deep cranks or anything like that. Not much deeper than 7'.

Thanks again,

BB
Old 02-14-08, 09:08 PM   #2
Rebbasser

Unless you will be chunking a big bait like a DD-22 a 6-6 or 7 M action will work just fine. A longer rod will get you more distance. Just find one that feels right to you.
Old 02-14-08, 09:11 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Thanks Reb. I kinda figured I didnt need a real heavy rod for the smaller cranks I was using, but the length will help get some distance.

The onyl thing is I can't seem to find a spinning rod over 7" that isn't like super sensitive. I don't want something sensitive because I read sensitivity will make you react faster to a bass hitting your crank and you'll pull the lure right out of its mouth.

BB
Old 02-14-08, 10:00 PM   #4
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

You can find you a mighty nice St.Croix for under $130. Match 'er up with the 'ole Shimano Citica and you're rollin' nicely!

Or you could go with something else.....

-Lunk-
Old 02-15-08, 04:33 PM   #5
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would recomend the bps cranking sticks. Usually run about 60 bucks but you can find them on sale for 30 at times. I have 2 of these and never had a problem out of them. I will buy more. I use the trigger rods in MH 6'6'' and 7'0''
You can't go wrong with the price of those rods and like I say they are as good as any I have tried.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 07:33 PM   #6
lunker-lander

I'd go with a 7'er...

-Lunk-
Old 02-15-08, 08:39 PM   #7
pig n jig

I second the crankin sticks.I like the Clunn crankbait rod as well.Catch them on sale and its a sweet deal. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 09:41 PM   #8
keithdog

You could get by easily for under your max spending amount with no trouble. And if you watch the sales about to come out soon at BPS you can get a really nice deal on a spinning rod. Over Christmas, the Exteme rods were on sale for $69.00 and they are a really nice mid priced rod normally listed at around $100.00. But many people, pros included are using fiberglass or graphite fiberglass blend rods. They like the feel they get with cranks and fiberglass, plus the softer action allows hook setting without yanking the crank out of the basses mouth. It's a gentler hook set which is desireable with crankbaits. Some guys prefer to use 7 foot rods. Myself I prefer a 6 1/2 foot. Probably because I am shorter and feel the 7 foot rod is awkward to cast. I also like a medium action with a medium to medium fast taper. I have used rods with faster tips but also had more shake offs with those.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 11:17 PM   #9
BigBassin144

I've looked at the crankbait rods, but the problem is they are are trigger rods. I want a spinning setup for crankbaits cause I use smaller crankbaits.

BB
Old 02-15-08, 11:52 PM   #10
Fish4food
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I've looked at the crankbait rods, but the problem is they are are trigger rods. I want a spinning setup for crankbaits cause I use smaller crankbaits.

BB
The only 2 spinning rods that are designed specifically for cranks, that I know of, are the St.Croix offering, and the Walleye series rod from Loomis. Both are well over $130. Those Pro Lite Ugly sticks, or whatever thier name is, that Walmart sells, would probably work well as a crank rod. I don't know, but it might be something to look into. Otherwise any glass rod would do, too. As far as sensitivity goes, it's all in what you prefer. I don't see how sensitivity would be a drawback, I prefer my Loomis crankbait rod over the old glass rods I used to use.

Last edited by Fish4food; 02-15-08 at 11:54 PM. Reason: used the wrong "thier"
Fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 12:22 AM   #11
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

get ya a falcon rod, there great rods for the$, i used to use all stars till i got my hands on one of these.
bassdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 12:25 AM   #12
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

oh yea,,,their made right here in the good ole USA...can't beat that
bassdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 08:51 PM   #13
Brad-WV
BassFishin.Com Member

I would definitly consider a Kistler Graphite Plus cranking rod in 7ft for a baitcaster. This is a perfect rod for throwing cranks, jerks, and topwaters. It is priced at $140. You could also go with the 6ft 6in model for a shorter rod. If you are looking for a spinning rod for throwing cranks try any of the medium action rods in your desired length. If you want to spend more money you can go to the Heliums. All Kistler rods are backed by a lifetime warranty. www.kistlerrods.com
Brad-WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 07:35 PM   #14
zooker

bb
can you explain why you want a spinning rod to crank with??

i like lews speed sticks 7 foot casting rods -i have 4 of them now- i use for cranking.. think i paid $60 for each..

zooker
Old 02-19-08, 09:31 PM   #15
lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
bb

i like lews speed sticks 7 foot casting rods -i have 4 of them now- i use for cranking.. think i paid $60 for each..

zooker
Exactly what I was thinking....

I'd go with casting. Either 6'6'' or 7', although I prefer longer rods. I'd also look into Falcon. I own two (6'10'' for T-Rigs, (Casting); 6'7'' for Spinnerbaits and Buzzbaits, (Spinning)). You can get you a good caster for under $110. I think I paid $114.99 for my 6'10''. Can't wait to get 'er! Fed-Ex site said Thursday!!!

-Lunk-
Old 02-19-08, 10:27 PM   #16
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm another who likes the BPS Cranking Sticks. I have a 7' M topped with a Quantam Energy PT.
Old 02-20-08, 06:48 PM   #17
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAddict View Post
I'm another who likes the BPS Cranking Sticks. I have a 7' M topped with a Quantam Energy PT.
you can have my share ba.. i hate them blasted "power dumped" beast..

zooker
Old 02-20-08, 08:16 PM   #18
Cranebird
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
you can have my share ba.. i hate them blasted "power dumped" beast..

zooker
Zooker , You all humped out , or what ? Power Hump .......Jeepers cats, a power dump is .............. aw never mind, it anit got nuthin to do with BPS crankin stixs.
Old 02-20-08, 08:37 PM   #19
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassdaddy View Post
get ya a falcon rod, there great rods for the$, i used to use all stars till i got my hands on one of these.
Me too, bassdaddy. I don't think I have an AllStar rod in my boat anymore. Nothing against them-they are great rods. I just like my Low Riders and Caras better.
Old 02-21-08, 10:37 AM   #20
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Unless you will be chunking a big bait like a DD-22 a 6-6 or 7 M action will work just fine. A longer rod will get you more distance. Just find one that feels right to you.
I am also a Paul Elias fan! One of the things he pioneered was the Kneel and Reel approach to cranking deep divers. The longer rod was pushed down in the water to get another 2-3' of depth on your retrieve. So if you are using a long rod and wish to quickly get the bait down, then simply kneel down in the boat and push the rod down as far as you feel comfortable and continue reeling. It will make the difference on some days!
Old 02-21-08, 01:19 PM   #21
Brad-WV
BassFishin.Com Member

ZOOKER,
I never use a spinning rod to crank with. This post was started by BigBassin144 which stated that they were looking at a spinning rod to crank with. Read the opening post!!!
Brad-WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 05:21 PM   #22
MississippiBoy

He did, Brad. BB = BigBassin144.
Your name Brad-WV only has 1 B in it. Why would that be BB?
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 04:56 PM   #23
BigBassin144

Quote:
bb

zooker
Zooker, (and LL), I want a spinning rod for cranking because About the heaviest crank we throw is Bandit 100's. At only 1/4oz, I, being a newcomer to baitcasters, can't get much distance on them. We thorw a lot of even smaller cranks like the Storm SubWart. That's why I'd like a spinning rod.

I've been looking around at some different rods. The BPS Bionic Blade sounds pretty good, and it would save me a littl emoney from what I was planning to spend. I've also looked at All Star rods, the Shimano Crucial Crankbaits rods, and some other. Still haven't made up my mind.

BB
Old 02-22-08, 05:00 PM   #24
Texas_Justice85
BassFishin.Com Member

I love my All Star Classic G2, its only 50 bucks but the sensation is awesome. I have it matched with my Revo S. Have to say its pretty clean
Old 02-22-08, 06:06 PM   #25
lunker-lander

I still think you should go with a BC. Never know when you'll be tossing a 5/8 oz. crank in the Dog Days of Summer.

I have a BC for my Crankin' Stick and I've tossed anything from Sub Warts to Fat Free Shads no problem.

Just something to keep in mind....

-Lunk-

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.