Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-13-09, 05:42 PM   #1
will crask
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool Pond Fishing For Bass!

What is the best method for catching big BASS in a good size pond?

I know that thay are in there but dont seem to be able to catch the real big ones. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
will crask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-09, 08:19 PM   #2
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Read my post from today.
Old 06-13-09, 08:56 PM   #3
fishin spro

what kind of cover is in the pond...grass, pads, laydowns, hydrilla, buck brush?
Old 06-13-09, 10:42 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ok, this may sound sarcastic.but i am serious. go as much as you can and try everything you have. time on the pond and learning as much as possible is the key here.look for cover, and also watch the baitfish. if there are hawgs in the pond. ya gotta learn the pond. fish the deepest part (dam), fish where the fresh water comes into it too. there aren't many places where they can hide, depending on the size of the pond. so look for key spots. treest, stumps, dropoffs, grass, docks, etc.
Old 06-13-09, 11:35 PM   #5
1/4 stick
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Try more natural colors. Pond bass normally won't go for the chartruese and flashy colors too often. Try colors like white, black, pumpkin, etc. And what bama said too.
Old 06-14-09, 10:09 AM   #6
aikenyounggun

ummm it really depends on the pond...... in the last 2 years i have seen 4 fish pulled out a pond that have been 6+.... one on a wacky worm, one on a fluke, one on like a 7 inch balck worm, and one on a spinnerbait...

it really depends..... just time on the water will tell you that
Old 06-14-09, 10:29 AM   #7
Bassboss

When I shore fish, I try to move a long the bank at a slow steady pace, and when you're walking, walk softly, and slowly about 10' or more from the water. One thing to remember is to NEVER run if you see a fish along the shore. Fist make casts to from where you are, and than s-l-o-w approach the fish, trying not to spook him. When you walking, the sound of your foot steps goes from the ground to the water. So the fish can here your foot steps a long ways away if you're walking normally. When the sun is to your back, and casting a shadow in the water, crouch down, make it so that your shadow does not hit the water, or much of it. One mistake I see a lot of people do when I shore fish, is cast straight out as far as they can, and this is not always a bad thing, but 9 out of 10 times, the fish will be hold in an area know as the strike zone. It's normally where the bottom changes color. For example, there may be some lightly colored sand at the bottom of the water from 0 - 8 feet from the bank, but after the water reaches 9 feet of the bank, the bottom changes to a darker color. This area is where you'll get most you hits. Of you cast parallel to this change in bottom color, you'll get most of your hits there!

As far as lures to use, it really depends on the cover. If it's at all weedy, use spinnerbait, texposed 7" black worms, wacky rig senko, and finesse worms are great too, you can also shaky head a wacky worm, works great for we when they are not biting. Zoom super flukes are good too!

Lemme know if you need some more help!
Old 06-21-09, 05:38 AM   #8
CCbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bassboss shut the f... up, your young, you spew off on any listing and the fact is your bass knowledge sucks. Live a little, fish a little, and learn a little more before you come on here and act like a bass pro.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-09, 08:25 AM   #9
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

woow - guess I wont share for fear of being flamed.

For my own knowledge, I'd like to hear more on the conditions of the pond and what has been used so far and whether from boat or from shore?
vabeachbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-09, 08:46 AM   #10
bamabassman

va.ignore this guy.he is a troll. look at the time he made this post. probably still on the juice. he has been warned of his ignorant behavior. and told NOT to do this sort of thing. ccbass, you better watch it man. now you got me mad. i am gonna do everything i can now to get you booted off this site for good. if you can't do anything but cuss a kid on here that is trying to help someone. YOU GET THE F##K OFF! come to me and say this to MY face bub. i ain't hard to find. i'll even draw you a map to where i am. now leave this site for good.
Old 06-21-09, 02:02 PM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

CC, they have meds for acting & speaking erratically dude. You should look in to it. And if there is nothing wrong, you have by far hit D1ck status. There is a time & place for everything, and you have failed to hit neither. If the Bassboss wants to talk, it is his right. He fishes almost everyday in a pond, he ought to be able to give his .02. Bama's right about talking that way to the kid, uncalled for. Be glad his Dad lives on the other side of the nation, because if you talked to my kid that way, you would be on the business end of a bat.
Old 06-21-09, 02:10 PM   #12
bamabassman

BUBBA, I AM CALLING HIM OUT. I WANT HIM. FACE TO MY FIST! i'll meet him halfway or come to him. whichever he wants. tired of drunks posting stupidity on here.
Old 06-21-09, 02:37 PM   #13
bassFishingWNY
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
BUBBA, I AM CALLING HIM OUT. I WANT HIM. FACE TO MY FIST! i'll meet him halfway or come to him. whichever he wants. tired of drunks posting stupidity on here.
Everyone has a right to their opinion. We live in America. We are all guest here, Kevin has the only say who he want's.
Report him, that's all you can do. I believe you can block him, not read any of his posts?
bassFishingWNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-09, 02:49 PM   #14
bamabassman

this fool has done this time after time wny. he has been given many chances to redeem hisself. kevin will not ban him, we have to. so i am calling him out, so to speak, if he is man enough..he'll show, if not.he'll do the right thing and leave this site. all of us here are the moderators. i will not iggy him cause i want to piss him off as much as he pisses off others. i will go to his site and do what he does here. whatever it takes, i'll do. there will be others that will back me up on this one too. keep watching, you will see.

and no one has the right to do what he did, cuss out a kid for posting what he does as far as fishing a pond from the bank. that is why i am pissed. and he posted another idiotic message on another thread. all at 4 am. drunk as cooter brown does not work here. i hate drunks.
Old 06-21-09, 02:55 PM   #15
nofearengineer

Amen, Brother Bama. You know where I stand on this.
Old 06-21-09, 03:27 PM   #16
rrw4258

I am with ya Bama, if he is just going to put down others, DON'T POST!

As for what Bassboss said I agree with alot of the things he mentioned and he was just trying to give a fair opinion on pond fishing.

Ryan
Old 06-21-09, 04:28 PM   #17
keithdog

First off, be sure to use a quiet approach at all times. Most ponds are fairly quiet places. Walking around and stepping on sticks, bark, working through brush and weeds, banging into rocks and so on will put ANY fish on allert. The vibration going from ground to water could easily cause a fish to think there is a Heron or Racoon nearby looking for a meal causing panick in the fish. Be SURE to first cast ahead of you parallel to shore as you work the shoreline. You want to catch those bass near shore before walking up and spooking them into deep water. Stop every 10 feet or so and work the shallows ahead of you working your lure gradually into deeper water. Also, I would suggest using a medium action outfit with smaller, quieter lures. I would prefer a spinning outfit with a 6 foot rod and 12 pound test for most ponds. That will cover most situations fairly well. If there is a lot of brush and so on you may want a med/heavy outfit with heavier line, perhaps braid. I like 6 foot rods for shore fishing because it is easier to work around overhanging branches and shrubs you run into on shore. Lures such as the Baby Torpedo, a 1/4 oz spinnerbait or size 3 Mepps inline bucktail spinner would work great in a pond. Also a size 7 or 9 floating original Rapala is a proven pond winner. Work it slowly along the surface with short twitches and tugs. A 4 or 5 inch Senoo style worm would also be a very good lure in ponds. And of course a smaller shallow diving to medium diving crankbait would also be a good choice to take along. You might want to take both a rattling and non rattling crank bait. Sometimes in a quiet pond, the rattles can send fish fleeing.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-09, 06:04 PM   #18
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
First off, be sure to use a quiet approach at all times. Most ponds are fairly quiet places. Walking around and stepping on sticks, bark, working through brush and weeds, banging into rocks and so on will put ANY fish on allert. The vibration going from ground to water could easily cause a fish to think there is a Heron or Racoon nearby looking for a meal causing panick in the fish. Be SURE to first cast ahead of you parallel to shore as you work the shoreline. You want to catch those bass near shore before walking up and spooking them into deep water. Stop every 10 feet or so and work the shallows ahead of you working your lure gradually into deeper water. Also, I would suggest using a medium action outfit with smaller, quieter lures. I would prefer a spinning outfit with a 6 foot rod and 12 pound test for most ponds. That will cover most situations fairly well. If there is a lot of brush and so on you may want a med/heavy outfit with heavier line, perhaps braid. I like 6 foot rods for shore fishing because it is easier to work around overhanging branches and shrubs you run into on shore. Lures such as the Baby Torpedo, a 1/4 oz spinnerbait or size 3 Mepps inline bucktail spinner would work great in a pond. Also a size 7 or 9 floating original Rapala is a proven pond winner. Work it slowly along the surface with short twitches and tugs. A 4 or 5 inch Senko style worm would also be a very good lure in ponds. And of course a smaller shallow diving to medium diving crankbait would also be a good choice to take along. You might want to take both a rattling and non rattling crank bait. Sometimes in a quiet pond, the rattles can send fish fleeing.
Keith is right! Rapala baits are great in ponds, especially jointed floating minnows, and no jointed ones, along with shad raps, have worked very well for me as apposed to strike king, bandit, bomber, and manns! I think this is because they don't have rattles!

Oh, bama and the rest, thanks of the back up.. good to know I've got some good friends on here!
Old 06-21-09, 07:23 PM   #19
BassinID

You're fine boss, it was good advice, regardless of age. I know for a fact that Everyone on here respects BigBassin144's advice, myself included, even though he is younger than I am(which makes no difference on the advice that he gives). Contribute, learn and have a good time, thats the purpose of this site unless I missed something.

As for the troll, please pi$$ off man, you don't contribute at all, I have yet to see valid advice that you have given that allows you to negate someone else's opinion, let alone run down a kid for being friendly and helpful!
There's my .02, on the issue.

As for the topic, I like to stick to mostly soft plastics in the ponds that I have fished. The only reason for this is that a pond around here doesn't have shad, but rather baby bass and aquatic bugs for forage. I like either a five inch watermellon or green pumpkin senko t-rigged weightless or a 4" power worm, black with a chart tail fished t-rigged with 3/16 of weight crawled slowly. Cast to structure and fish all possible changes in bottom contour and any available structure, wether it be stump, grass, brush or whatever. Likely in a shallow pond the fish will be spread out and on most structure, assuming you are fishing a relatively shallow (15' or less) pond with a healthy pop of bass. You will most likely not find a motherload of fish on a single piece of structure in a small pond, but you should be able to catch a few off each piece, then when the bite shuts off, try to move to a similar location with as many of the same elements. If its sunny, you may want to look for the deepest and shadiest places that you can find. Fish don't have eyelids, and while they do not see entirely the same as we do, they still are negatively effected by too much light.

Bama, I have absolutely no right to tell you what to do, and you are completely right in your words and opinions on this, I really am proud to be a member on here with you. That being said, this guy is a troll, he is gratified by reactions like this. I have even heard of companies having people go on sites sponsored by competitor companies and attacking younger members in order to scare away possible customers that have not formulated strong opinions as to tackle preference. You're spot on man, I would just say don't gratify this guy any more, he is probably lovin it right now.

Last edited by BassinID; 06-21-09 at 07:31 PM.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-09, 07:28 PM   #20
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
tired of drunks posting stupidity on here.

I'll stop posting if there is a sobriety clause

jim
Old 06-21-09, 08:48 PM   #21
bamabassman

bassinid, you are most likely correct. but if the fool wants to meet me, i'll be ther with bells on. don't want him thinking i didn't show. i'll even have a neon sign pointing the way. i tried to be nice to him once before and even gave him a second, third chance, no more. no more. i'll get settled in and start on his site. just wait, i'll find him. mad as hades now. enough is enough.
Old 06-21-09, 09:13 PM   #22
fishin spro

topwater baits at first light and last light are usually good on ponds. i like pop r's, splash its, spro frogs, horny toads, buzz baits, floating worms, etc.

good luck...let us know how you do.
Old 06-21-09, 09:20 PM   #23
nofearengineer

Well, like I said, if you want to induce an aggression strike from the Bama-fish, the best way is to troll!
Old 06-21-09, 09:46 PM   #24
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
You're fine boss, it was good advice, regardless of age. I know for a fact that Everyone on here respects BigBassin144's advice, myself included, even though he is younger than I am(which makes no difference on the advice that he gives). Contribute, learn and have a good time, thats the purpose of this site unless I missed something.

As for the troll, please pi$$ off man, you don't contribute at all, I have yet to see valid advice that you have given that allows you to negate someone else's opinion, let alone run down a kid for being friendly and helpful!
There's my .02, on the issue.

As for the topic, I like to stick to mostly soft plastics in the ponds that I have fished. The only reason for this is that a pond around here doesn't have shad, but rather baby bass and aquatic bugs for forage. I like either a five inch watermellon or green pumpkin senko t-rigged weightless or a 4" power worm, black with a chart tail fished t-rigged with 3/16 of weight crawled slowly. Cast to structure and fish all possible changes in bottom contour and any available structure, wether it be stump, grass, brush or whatever. Likely in a shallow pond the fish will be spread out and on most structure, assuming you are fishing a relatively shallow (15' or less) pond with a healthy pop of bass. You will most likely not find a motherload of fish on a single piece of structure in a small pond, but you should be able to catch a few off each piece, then when the bite shuts off, try to move to a similar location with as many of the same elements. If its sunny, you may want to look for the deepest and shadiest places that you can find. Fish don't have eyelids, and while they do not see entirely the same as we do, they still are negatively effected by too much light.

Bama, I have absolutely no right to tell you what to do, and you are completely right in your words and opinions on this, I really am proud to be a member on here with you. That being said, this guy is a troll, he is gratified by reactions like this. I have even heard of companies having people go on sites sponsored by competitor companies and attacking younger members in order to scare away possible customers that have not formulated strong opinions as to tackle preference. You're spot on man, I would just say don't gratify this guy any more, he is probably lovin it right now.
I too have got a lot of respect for the guy, he could be fishing right along side of KVD and still be catching 'em in the same numbers!
Old 06-22-09, 03:25 AM   #25
BassinID

I know bama, I am not trying to down you in any way and you are well grounded in your morals and convictions. Love the NFE comment too! Thanks for lookin out for the younguns bama!
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.