Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-20-05, 01:20 AM   #1
tomgfgd
BassFishin.Com Member

Default I will be appreciated if somebody guide me in catching Bass with this information!

Yesterday i went to Rideau canal(canada,ottawa) in the afternoon. i was there for 2hrs but i could not catch any Bass.The water that i fish is about 4 feet and it is weedy. The only baite i use is grub(white,pink,pumpkin) however non of them sounds to work for me.Actuelly i wanted to buy spinnerbaite and crankbaite but i am not sure about them because i am worried that they both might get stuck through the grasses and weeds under the water.hence i nevermined them.
Would you please give me some of the best and most effective tips and tackles to become a successful angler.
thanks very much.
tomgfgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-05, 10:04 AM   #2
H2O
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm living in Kingston Ontario. I fished on small lakes connected by Rideau Canal a lot. I went to Lower Brewer Lock, and fished from bank last weekend. I caught 14 LM from 1/2 lb( ) to 2.2lb, and 2 pike( 5lb).

Yeah, it is a bit hard to catch bass there right now! However, with right approach and right fishing spot, patience and confidence(too many guys gaive up too fast, one more cast you might catch the fish), you can catch bass there for sure!

I'm not sure about how much you know fishing tackle and setup, so my suggestion might be too basic for you. Any way, here is my solution:

Go to Canadian Tire to find these stuff I list here: (Walmart's price is cheaper, but you wouldn't find the right stuff you need!)

Lure:
3/8 oz spinnerbait. color: white or white&chart. Brand: whatever.
White color spinnerbait works very well on Rideau Canal system. 3/8 oz is good for bank cast. And spinnerbait is kinda weedless.

Bait:

WAVE WORMS: 5" tiki Dip-Stick. color: green pumpkin/chart tip. For me this one works extremely well by weightless wacky rigged. You can even find how to rig the tiki worm on the back of the package.

Yum dinger: same stuff and approach as wave worms. Try to find some 4" with different color tip. Black Neon / Silver Tip works well.

Hook:

Extemely important for wacky rigged worm. try to find some short shank with wide gap hook. If you can't find Gamakatsu hooks, you definitely can find these kind Mustad hooks in Canadian Tire. such as this one:

LINE: 8-12lb mono line will be fine. However, I recommend to use some braid line such as Spiderwire Stealth, smooth cast and sensitive feeling.

Approach:

Start with spinnerbait, if no bass hits it (it's quite possible right now , however you have a great opportunity to catch pike ), then try weightless wacky rig tiki worms or yum dinger. And be patient, if you assume bass is there, they will hit your tiki worm sooner or later. Don't set your hook too fast too hard. A reel sethook is good enough!

If the weed keeps bothering you, then try weightless texas rig. but for me, wacky rig always brings the best result.

Go there and try again. Any luck or no, just let me know.

BTW, could you tell me exactly where you go to fish? i mean which lock?

Enjoy your fishing.

H2O

Last edited by H2O; 09-20-05 at 11:50 AM.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-05, 11:14 PM   #3
tomgfgd
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile

Hello buddy,i thank you for the useful tips that you offered me.I want to try them this weekend.I mostly go to Rideau canal or Rideau river.I have seen a number of Basses there but shame that i did not have any chance to pull them out.Anyway,there both are good places for fishing.The only problem is the water which is grassy and weedy in most of the parts.
What about you?where do you go for fishing?once i tended to drive to kingston but i did not know where to go exactly for fishing in there.I will be glade to know if there is a specail place for fishing.
Buy now.
If you want you can send me email at:tomgfgd@gmail.com
Actuelly it is my pleasure to have an experimental friend like you.
I forgot to ask your name??
Old 09-21-05, 11:30 PM   #4
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgfgd
Hello buddy,i thank you for the useful tips that you offered me.I want to try them this weekend.I mostly go to Rideau canal or Rideau river.I have seen a number of Basses there but shame that i did not have any chance to pull them out.Anyway,there both are good places for fishing.The only problem is the water which is grassy and weedy in most of the parts.
What about you?where do you go for fishing?once i tended to drive to kingston but i did not know where to go exactly for fishing in there.I will be glade to know if there is a specail place for fishing.
Buy now.
If you want you can send me email at:tomgfgd@gmail.com
Actuelly it is my pleasure to have an experimental friend like you.
I forgot to ask your name??
I fish around Kingston 100KM crazy this summer. you know there are a lot of small lakes connected by Rideau Canal. But general speaking, fishing there really need a boat. I didn't fish from bank a lot. But last weekend I went to Lower Brewer Lock on Rideau Canal. it's about 25KM away Kingston. However, I don't think you need go as far as that. There should be some locks near Ottawa part.
Any way, You can go along High way 15 and check. I heard people said that Jones Fall has some great spots for bank fishing. And Ottawa river is great for fishing catfish too.

Make another try this weekend. Lets see what will be going on!

Good luck
Old 09-22-05, 05:41 PM   #5
tomgfgd
BassFishin.Com Member

what is your idea about these colores for wave warm:watermelon red flake-watermelon chart tip-red shade-
Please tell me which one is the best??
Old 09-22-05, 05:49 PM   #6
Dyas
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

I would get all three colors. All of them catch lots of bass for me and others will agree.........
Old 09-22-05, 06:42 PM   #7
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
what is your idea about these colores for wave warm:watermelon red flake-watermelon chart tip-red shade-

They are all great colors buy a pack of each
Theres not really a best color though but i prefer the red shad as my go to bait
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-05, 08:58 PM   #8
KH.

Quote:
get those colors,they are great,but now for my side of the story.
instead of wacky-rigging texas rig wheightless,very good technique and unlike the wacky worm it is completely weedless if rigged right.i fish it just like a soft jerkbait but except twitching it once(sink,twitch)i use three or 4 twitches(sink,twitch,twitch twitch).oh i almost forgot,watch your line!35 percent of my strikes come from the it just falling.dont be scared to let it fall to long,they will hold on to it for a long time as long as the point of the hook is not out.

kevin
Old 09-22-05, 10:07 PM   #9
H2O

Quote:

This is the best one if you fish on Rideau Canal system. Canasdian Tire should carry this color, also you can buy Yum dinger as well. Yum has same color partten. If it is an extreme sunny day, start with Yum dinger, (dark green). Since, you fish from bank, buy 5" one, easy to cast(weightless wacky rigged). cast it beside weeds(on the edge). Don't throw it into weeds. Try to find some hole or dropoff, great chance to catch bass there right now.

Have a great fishing weekend.
Old 09-24-05, 03:49 PM   #10
Dyas

For the majority of fishing, say around weedlines and sparse cover, a medium action 6 to 6½ foot spinning rod and reel will be the best all-around setup of choice for tossing these medium-weight baits. Exposed-hook rigs such as the wacky rig or Senko jig can be handled on shorter, light action rods. A fast taper with good backbone makes for easy casting and good hooksetting power. Surprisingly, unweighted 4 inch and longer Senkos are heavy enough to be thrown on quality baitcasting setups, but for surface-skipping them way back into tight cover, spinning gear is a must.

If you are targeting bass over heavy cover, such dense lily pads, matted weeds or gnarly sunken timber, then opt for a medium-heavy action rod and heavier line, 15 pound test and even higher. Such a line will afford more durability and abrasion resistance. For sparse cover or open and clearer waters, downsize the line diameter. 8 to 12 pound test would be a good choice here. Some even use fluorocarbon leaders on spinning gear to further reduce line visibility. Fluorocarbon line has nearly the same “refractive index” as water, which helps it to “disappear” underwater. The stiff, springy fluoro does not handle well when completely spooled on spinning reels, hence just a leader, say 18 to 24 inches, is employed. The handy Double Surgeon's Knot is a good connection choice to use when joining the main line to the leader. Conversely, fluoro handles very well when completely filling up a baitcasting reel, and many keen anglers even use it exclusively not only for its reduced line visibility, but because it offers very low stretch, incredible abrasion resistance and sinks faster than standard lines as well.

A good choice for fishing tight, heavy and relatively shallow cover, such as docks and weed beds, probably the most popular method of rigging the Senko is to utilize a texposed hook. Similar to the classic Texas rig, texposing is where the hook, for the most part, it held in place by the bait itself. The only difference is that, as its name implies, the hook point is “exposed” instead of buried in the bait. An offset, “wide gap” hook is ideal for texposing, as the offset portion at the front holds the bait in place, and the straight hook point will ride nicely against the bait’s body. This makes for a relatively weed-free, yet effectively exposed point. For rigging the 4 inch Senkos, a 1/0 or 2/0 sized hook works the best, and when using 5 inch ones, go with a 2/0 or even 3/0 hook.

Rigging the texposed Senko is very easy to do. Tie on the desired hook and follow the steps below. Size shown in the photo is a 5 inch Senko with a 3/0 offset, wide gap hook.

1. Insert point of hook straight through nose of bait and bring the point out of the bait approximately ¼ to ½ inch back.

2. Slide hook all the way through the bait, stopping when the offset bend has entered it. Turn the hook 180 degrees at this point.

3. Line up the hook alongside the Senko to figure out where the best insertion point is going to be, and force the hook straight through to the other side, and allow the hook point to ride right against the body of the bait.

4. Finished rig should look as shown, with bait straight and hook point laying flat along the top.

Texposing will be fairly weedless, but ensures a good, solid hookset because the point of the hook does not have to penetrate the body of the worm before reaching the fish's jaw.

Don't be afraid to throw the texposed Senko around the thickest of weeds, or skip it into the nether regions under docks. Since you are generally not going to be working the bait too much, hang-ups are infrequent. This rig is the best choice for placing the Senko exactly where you want it when targeting heavy cover, and can be made to skip deeply into docks and branches. Cast it out and let it fall seductively down, maintaining a semi-slack line. Watch your line carefully. Often a pickup is not felt as the bass simply cruises up and slurps the bait into its mouth. If you see your line start to move off or twitch, reel up the slack line and sweep your rod tip sharply upward to set the hook. Unless you are fishing heavy cover, there is no need to “cross-eye” the fish on the hookset. Some anglers keep a finger their line at the reel for additional awareness. Once the bait hits the bottom, leave it there for a few moments. Some anglers leave the Senko alone for up to several minutes! Then raise your rod tip and lift the bait and let it fall once again, either into the same hole or else the next nearest possible bass lie. This classic approach to using the Senko probably accounts for more success than any other weightless method.

Wacky wormin', with its irresistible, twitchy retrieve, has been a favorite method with plastic worms for years, and fishing the Senko wacky style is a deadly way to get in on the action. It's a great rig for approaching bass in sparse cover and along breaks in cover, where open water meets weedlines, timber, or docks. River Smallmouth Bass enthusiasts love the wacky rig for twitching along in streams around rock outcroppings and other Smallie ambush spots in moving water. Again, the 4 and 5 inch Senkos work well for this presentation, in which you impart much more action to the bait as opposed to the texposed rig. Most of the time, it is fished somewhere in the middle of the water column, but it is also deadly when twitched along the bottom.

You will generally use smaller hooks than with the texposed rig, opting for standard short-shanked, round-bend designs in size 1 or 1/0. Another possible hook choice employed by conservation-minded anglers is to use what are called “circle' hooks.” Circle hooks, at first glance, look like a standard round bend hook, but a closer look reveals that their point actually continues to curve inward, like a circle. Saltwater enthusiasts have been using circle hooks on live bait rigs for years, and they have recently gained increased popularity with bass anglers. Their design is such that the angler employs no sweeping hookset upon feeling the strike, but rather just takes up the slack and reels down to the fish. The small curve in the hook point causes the hook to slide along in the fish’s mouth cavity, not hooking up until it reaches the ledge inside the lip. Its design results in a very “fish friendly” hook, virtually preventing “gut-hooking,” yet holds very well along the corner of the mouth, where the hook will be found almost every time. Sweeping up on the hookset usually causes the circle hook to be pulled completely from the fish's mouth and not connecting. It can be a very challenging to get accustomed to fishing without the classic hook setting motion when using the circle hook, but for those who do, they enjoy few shake-offs, and the fish receives the best chance for survival upon release.

Rigging the wacky Senko is even easier to do than texposing it. Tie the desired hook to your line and follow the easy steps below. Shown in the photo is a 4 inch Senko with a 1/0 circle hook.

1. Select the size of Senko you want to wacky rig with. Often, the smaller 4 inch size is used.

2. Bend the Senko in half to find the middle point.

3. Insert the hook straight through the center of the worm, bringing the hook out the other side.

4. Finished wacky rig should look as shown, with the hook perfectly centered in the middle of the bait.

As previously mentioned, the wacky rigged Senko is great around more sparse cover, such as weedlines adjacent to open water, large holes in weedbeds, stratified timber and rocks, or floating docks. It's openly exposed hook demands less snaggy fishing conditions, but, by the same token, it provides more sure hook-ups. Cast or skip this rig gently and beyond where you expect the bass to be, and allow it to sink naturally to the desired depth, again on a semi-slack line. For a bottom wacky retrieve, you can place split shot from 8 to 12 inches ahead of the hook to get it down a bit faster. Retrieve it slowly with light to moderate twitches of the rod tip. This gives the Senko a sort of live swimming action, with the ends of the bait flailing along. On the bottom, it very closely resembles a darting crayfish. Remember the simple “retrieve” hookset if you are using circle hooks. If you've never tried wacky wormin' before, you might find this presentation surprisingly effective with Senkos, and fun to employ.

Use 4 inch Senkos in forage-fish colors for this rig. 3/16 to ¼ ounce plain darter or round headed jigs are the perfect choice for giving the bait an action which I personally feel is very unique. If finessing reluctant shallow fish is the order of the day, downsizing to a 1/8 ounce head will help slow down a hasty fall. Follow the steps below.

1. Line up the jighead next the Senko in order to determine the exact location of where the hook will exit the bait when threaded through the center, as shown.

2. Start inserting the hook point through the front of the Senko, “threading” it through the center of the bait.

3. Begin poking the hook point out of the bait at the location determined in Step 1 and complete the insertion of the jighead's anchor.

4. Finished Senko jig should look as shown, neatly rigged with no kinks or bulges in the body of the bait.

The Senko jig is moderately heavy, but very easy to fish, and it will produce results under a wide variety of conditions and scenarios. Baitcasting gear is fine for throwing it. Pat Xiques allows it to fall right into suspended bass, where its presence was met with strikes. It is an excellent drop bait along deeper ledges, drop-offs and weedlines, where hang-ups are less of a problem with its exposed hook. It can even be dragged over the bottom and hopped like a standard bass jig or tube jig. The action when twitching this bait is a very unique, stout movement as opposed to a standard “jigworm” rig. This could be the bait of choice when nothing else is panning out, so give it a try when the rest of your options have run dry, or make it your “go-to” setup for hot action without fuss!
Old 09-24-05, 04:43 PM   #11
KH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyas
For the majority of fishing, say around weedlines and sparse cover, a medium action 6 to 6½ foot spinning rod and reel will be the best all-around setup of choice for tossing these medium-weight baits. Exposed-hook rigs such as the wacky rig or Senko jig can be handled on shorter, light action rods. A fast taper with good backbone makes for easy casting and good hooksetting power. Surprisingly, unweighted 4 inch and longer Senkos are heavy enough to be thrown on quality baitcasting setups, but for surface-skipping them way back into tight cover, spinning gear is a must.

If you are targeting bass over heavy cover, such dense lily pads, matted weeds or gnarly sunken timber, then opt for a medium-heavy action rod and heavier line, 15 pound test and even higher. Such a line will afford more durability and abrasion resistance. For sparse cover or open and clearer waters, downsize the line diameter. 8 to 12 pound test would be a good choice here. Some even use fluorocarbon leaders on spinning gear to further reduce line visibility. Fluorocarbon line has nearly the same “refractive index” as water, which helps it to “disappear” underwater. The stiff, springy fluoro does not handle well when completely spooled on spinning reels, hence just a leader, say 18 to 24 inches, is employed. The handy Double Surgeon's Knot is a good connection choice to use when joining the main line to the leader. Conversely, fluoro handles very well when completely filling up a baitcasting reel, and many keen anglers even use it exclusively not only for its reduced line visibility, but because it offers very low stretch, incredible abrasion resistance and sinks faster than standard lines as well.

A good choice for fishing tight, heavy and relatively shallow cover, such as docks and weed beds, probably the most popular method of rigging the Senko is to utilize a texposed hook. Similar to the classic Texas rig, texposing is where the hook, for the most part, it held in place by the bait itself. The only difference is that, as its name implies, the hook point is “exposed” instead of buried in the bait. An offset, “wide gap” hook is ideal for texposing, as the offset portion at the front holds the bait in place, and the straight hook point will ride nicely against the bait’s body. This makes for a relatively weed-free, yet effectively exposed point. For rigging the 4 inch Senkos, a 1/0 or 2/0 sized hook works the best, and when using 5 inch ones, go with a 2/0 or even 3/0 hook.

Rigging the texposed Senko is very easy to do. Tie on the desired hook and follow the steps below. Size shown in the photo is a 5 inch Senko with a 3/0 offset, wide gap hook.

1. Insert point of hook straight through nose of bait and bring the point out of the bait approximately ¼ to ½ inch back.

2. Slide hook all the way through the bait, stopping when the offset bend has entered it. Turn the hook 180 degrees at this point.

3. Line up the hook alongside the Senko to figure out where the best insertion point is going to be, and force the hook straight through to the other side, and allow the hook point to ride right against the body of the bait.

4. Finished rig should look as shown, with bait straight and hook point laying flat along the top.

Texposing will be fairly weedless, but ensures a good, solid hookset because the point of the hook does not have to penetrate the body of the worm before reaching the fish's jaw.

Don't be afraid to throw the texposed Senko around the thickest of weeds, or skip it into the nether regions under docks. Since you are generally not going to be working the bait too much, hang-ups are infrequent. This rig is the best choice for placing the Senko exactly where you want it when targeting heavy cover, and can be made to skip deeply into docks and branches. Cast it out and let it fall seductively down, maintaining a semi-slack line. Watch your line carefully. Often a pickup is not felt as the bass simply cruises up and slurps the bait into its mouth. If you see your line start to move off or twitch, reel up the slack line and sweep your rod tip sharply upward to set the hook. Unless you are fishing heavy cover, there is no need to “cross-eye” the fish on the hookset. Some anglers keep a finger their line at the reel for additional awareness. Once the bait hits the bottom, leave it there for a few moments. Some anglers leave the Senko alone for up to several minutes! Then raise your rod tip and lift the bait and let it fall once again, either into the same hole or else the next nearest possible bass lie. This classic approach to using the Senko probably accounts for more success than any other weightless method.

Wacky wormin', with its irresistible, twitchy retrieve, has been a favorite method with plastic worms for years, and fishing the Senko wacky style is a deadly way to get in on the action. It's a great rig for approaching bass in sparse cover and along breaks in cover, where open water meets weedlines, timber, or docks. River Smallmouth Bass enthusiasts love the wacky rig for twitching along in streams around rock outcroppings and other Smallie ambush spots in moving water. Again, the 4 and 5 inch Senkos work well for this presentation, in which you impart much more action to the bait as opposed to the texposed rig. Most of the time, it is fished somewhere in the middle of the water column, but it is also deadly when twitched along the bottom.

You will generally use smaller hooks than with the texposed rig, opting for standard short-shanked, round-bend designs in size 1 or 1/0. Another possible hook choice employed by conservation-minded anglers is to use what are called “circle' hooks.” Circle hooks, at first glance, look like a standard round bend hook, but a closer look reveals that their point actually continues to curve inward, like a circle. Saltwater enthusiasts have been using circle hooks on live bait rigs for years, and they have recently gained increased popularity with bass anglers. Their design is such that the angler employs no sweeping hookset upon feeling the strike, but rather just takes up the slack and reels down to the fish. The small curve in the hook point causes the hook to slide along in the fish’s mouth cavity, not hooking up until it reaches the ledge inside the lip. Its design results in a very “fish friendly” hook, virtually preventing “gut-hooking,” yet holds very well along the corner of the mouth, where the hook will be found almost every time. Sweeping up on the hookset usually causes the circle hook to be pulled completely from the fish's mouth and not connecting. It can be a very challenging to get accustomed to fishing without the classic hook setting motion when using the circle hook, but for those who do, they enjoy few shake-offs, and the fish receives the best chance for survival upon release.

Rigging the wacky Senko is even easier to do than texposing it. Tie the desired hook to your line and follow the easy steps below. Shown in the photo is a 4 inch Senko with a 1/0 circle hook.

1. Select the size of Senko you want to wacky rig with. Often, the smaller 4 inch size is used.

3. Insert the hook straight through the center of the worm, bringing the hook out the other side.

4. Finished wacky rig should look as shown, with the hook perfectly centered in the middle of the bait.

As previously mentioned, the wacky rigged Senko is great around more sparse cover, such as weedlines adjacent to open water, large holes in weedbeds, stratified timber and rocks, or floating docks. It's openly exposed hook demands less snaggy fishing conditions, but, by the same token, it provides more sure hook-ups. Cast or skip this rig gently and beyond where you expect the bass to be, and allow it to sink naturally to the desired depth, again on a semi-slack line. For a bottom wacky retrieve, you can place split shot from 8 to 12 inches ahead of the hook to get it down a bit faster. Retrieve it slowly with light to moderate twitches of the rod tip. This gives the Senko a sort of live swimming action, with the ends of the bait flailing along. On the bottom, it very closely resembles a darting crayfish. Remember the simple “retrieve” hookset if you are using circle hooks. If you've never tried wacky wormin' before, you might find this presentation surprisingly effective with Senkos, and fun to employ.

Use 4 inch Senkos in forage-fish colors for this rig. 3/16 to ¼ ounce plain darter or round headed jigs are the perfect choice for giving the bait an action which I personally feel is very unique. If finessing reluctant shallow fish is the order of the day, downsizing to a 1/8 ounce head will help slow down a hasty fall. Follow the steps below.

1. Line up the jighead next the Senko in order to determine the exact location of where the hook will exit the bait when threaded through the center, as shown.

2. Start inserting the hook point through the front of the Senko, “threading” it through the center of the bait.

3. Begin poking the hook point out of the bait at the location determined in Step 1 and complete the insertion of the jighead's anchor.

4. Finished Senko jig should look as shown, neatly rigged with no kinks or bulges in the body of the bait.

The Senko jig is moderately heavy, but very easy to fish, and it will produce results under a wide variety of conditions and scenarios. Baitcasting gear is fine for throwing it. Pat Xiques allows it to fall right into suspended bass, where its presence was met with strikes. It is an excellent drop bait along deeper ledges, drop-offs and weedlines, where hang-ups are less of a problem with its exposed hook. It can even be dragged over the bottom and hopped like a standard bass jig or tube jig. The action when twitching this bait is a very unique, stout movement as opposed to a standard “jigworm” rig. This could be the bait of choice when nothing else is panning out, so give it a try when the rest of your options have run dry, or make it your “go-to” setup for hot action without fuss!
i thought you were a tiki man
Old 09-24-05, 05:21 PM   #12
Dyas

Tiki is a senko knock off. You fish them the same way. I am a tiki man lol and I think big fish just like it says on the bag :
Old 09-24-05, 05:36 PM   #13
454ss

tiki...senko...other stick baits.....all the same for me
Old 09-24-05, 05:47 PM   #14
Dyas

All fished the same way..........
Old 09-24-05, 05:54 PM   #15
454ss

All catch fish the same who cares about price im gone buy it if it works so if i want expensive senkos im gone buy em lol if i want tikis ill get them too that way i have a variety of brands and not just colors just my 2cents
Old 09-24-05, 06:03 PM   #16
Dyas

Actualy Tikis are a lot more durable than Senkos. You will get your moneys worth if you pay the extra buck for tikis as opposed to Kinamis or Gary Yamamoto brand senkos
Old 09-24-05, 06:39 PM   #17
KH.

yup.......
Old 09-24-05, 07:47 PM   #18
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

dyas for a punk 14 yr old kid that kinda makes sense.. ya need to get a day jb and stop typing all that ..

zooker
Old 09-25-05, 12:32 AM   #19
H2O

Hey, Tomgfgd

Did you go fishing today? How's going?

Any way, I went to Lower Brewer Lock (same place I've done Forum Tournament) again this afternoon.

I feel a bit shame on talking to you so much about how effectively that spinnerbait and wacky tiki worm on Rideau Canal.

I've tried different colors, different sizes and different approaches spinnerbaits. all didn't work at all this afternoon. I caught couples LM on a kind dropoff structure by using wacky worm, but it's kinda slow in my opinion, cuz I was pretty sure that if there were reasonable bass in that spot, I should catch more. I mean I believed that the bass was not quite there. I found only after one week, most weed is dead. I started to figure out that bass might go to the open water area to look for their autumn food to gain their fat to face tough Canadian winter.

I looked around the whole dock, and didn't find any minnow, however, I did find a lot of small sunfish about 2"-3" in the water just under the boat lock! Since I saw some pretty huge boats went through there and get into the noat lock, so I thought it should be pretty deep without weed there. Great for crankbait.

Extreme sunny day, and water is fairly clear, I selected Cotton Cordell® Grappler Shad with bright yellow and cast it right on the water just under the lock's door with steady retieve.

First cast, nothing. On second casting, I landed an about 2'6" pike. Since it was very deep there, the pike really had a lot space to fight, so it's kind exciting. After about 10 minutes pan casting, I casted the crankbait at the same spot. When I just started to crank to lure, I saw small sunfish was trying to fly away from that area, in a second I felt very solid strike. I set the hook, and the fish started to fight vertically instead side run away. I was controlling my rod not to let her jump out.( the rod angle is quite different from on boat.) Then I land this 3.75lb chanky SM.

18.75" by 16" 3.75lb

I thought it was a pretty decent Small mouth on Rideau Canal, such a small river. what do you think? ( I hope I caught her last week! ) I hope I can catch her again somehow.

One thing I want to mention you is that I lost two crankbait there, cuz when the lures stuck or hung on the bottom, it really hard to save them from bank. Any way, any body has idea how to release them?

H2O

Last edited by H2O; 09-25-05 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-25-05, 02:53 AM   #20
KH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyas

i have seen this article somewhere you didnt write it

i think it was on bassresource
Old 09-25-05, 06:50 PM   #21
tomgfgd
BassFishin.Com Member

I went to rideau canal and i got non.I saw a number of big bass but non of them did bit my hook.
Old 09-25-05, 08:38 PM   #22
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default hey wait a mintue

whoa hold the phone!!!

h2o stated way the heck up near the top-above the bullcrap-that you get your tackle from canadian tire???? so what you go in and get and get 3 packs of of lizards a pack of hooks and a new goodyear wangler rts to go??? ok do they ask if you want bait with that too???? oh i am on a roll NOW..

zooker
Old 09-25-05, 10:00 PM   #23
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
whoa hold the phone!!!

h2o stated way the heck up near the top-above the bullcrap-that you get your tackle from canadian tire???? so what you go in and get and get 3 packs of of lizards a pack of hooks and a new goodyear wangler rts to go??? ok do they ask if you want bait with that too???? oh i am on a roll NOW..

zooker
Hey, Zooker. I'm trying to understand what u pointed! So far it is the only place I can find tiki worm. You can't image what Wal-Mark carries here.

I can't find any kind lizard bait anywhere in Kingston. unless I might find a wild one . Go to Wal-Mart, all you can find are bunches of Berkley crap plastic and two different color Yum dingers, and they are all 7" . Too much water filled in the decision-making guy's head!

I buy most of my stuff online. The shipment is really hurt.

Hey Tom,

When did you go fishing this weekend? Sunday's rain was too cold to the bass. Any way, What did you use?
Old 09-25-05, 10:27 PM   #24
KH.

walmart is already lowering thier stuff on fishin,te closest tackle shop is a hour away so i go to walmart or ocassionally get some from ebay
Old 09-25-05, 10:29 PM   #25
454ss

hey Kh your sig is awesome lol

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.