Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-27-07, 08:32 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Jig and Rig Rod...

Hello again kindly 'ole folk of BF.Com. As most of you know, only four weeks previous to this post, I bought a St.Croix Premier Crankbait rod with a Shimano Citica LH for med/deep cranking. I love this rod, but now, I would like to more well-round my angling skills, and buy a P-N-J/Carolina Rig rod. I like St.Croix brand, St.Croix man to death. For the criterion listed above, what rod would you personally recommend for me. I would like the rod to be somewhere in the 140-225 dollar range, and the reel to be somewhere in the 120-180 dollar range. So, for the Jig and Rig rod, what is your personal recommendation?
Thanks so far for your help with the recommendation of all other tackle and equiptment.

-LL-
Old 08-27-07, 08:35 PM   #2
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Not again...

As well, I'm still waiting for those Alaska pictures...
Old 08-27-07, 09:28 PM   #3
Bender

I love the Falcon Expert I picked up from this site for tubes and lighter jigs. It is a EC-610-H. http://www.falconrods.com/expert.php
I've got an All Star Big Boy for the real heavy stuff that is great, but I wouldn't want to use it all day long.
I have an Abu Revo SX High Speed reel on it right now, but I don't like the reel. It doesn't fit my hand well, LMK if you are interested in it. Of course it has Power Pro on it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 02:05 AM   #4
bassboogieman

Default St Croix Jig/Rig.

You'll likely want a more sensitive rod for this slower presentation than the Premier line. The Premier is fine for moving baits, but I think you should move up to the Avid line, to a 7' in either a MH or H action. If your jig fishing is a majority of 1/4 and 3/8 oz baits go MH, if you like heavier jigs mostly 1/2 oz go to the H. The Avid offers better sensitivity and is a very nice rod for about $170. And if you really want to spend the $225, look at the St. Croix Legend series. I would match either with a Shimano Castaic - in my opinion the best reel around for pitching, and will suffice for the C-rig.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 09:44 AM   #5
lunker-lander

Well BBM, to answer your question, I have only used jigs once, for smallmouth. So, I don't really know what size I should use. I live in Southern MI, what jig size do you recommend? Also, would I want a heavy or MH for Carolina Riggin'?
Old 08-28-07, 04:58 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Well, I have been using my ML Cableas rod ffor jigging but recently, I bought a special Flippin Stik rod blank for a local lure/rod making store. got a set of Fuji guides and an awesome reel seat for it. Me and my dad are going to build it. and I mean everything, from the cork handle on a lathe, to puttin on the guides.

And, LL is back. how was Alaska, you visit Homer? if so did the
"A smalling drinking town with a fishing problem" saying come true? I'm expecting pics, and lots of em. hopefully lots of fish pics too. Around that area, near homer and such, is the second most radical tide in the world, beat only by one in Nova Scotia. The one in Alaska goes out almost a mile. It's amazing! anyways, Pics, Pics, Pics...
Old 08-28-07, 06:05 PM   #7
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

For both jigs and C-rigs I like a H action rod. I use falcon Low Riders for both-the jig rod is a 6-10 heavy action and the C-rig is a 7' H action Carolina Lizard Dragger. Both have the backbone to get a solid hookset. Whatever kind you get, anything less than a MH just doesn't have the stiffness for a good hookset IMO.
Old 08-29-07, 12:39 AM   #8
bassboogieman

Let me take a stab at this again. Your location suggests smallmouth mostly, and largemouth most commonly under 4lbs (I know occasionly they are bigger). With that assumption made and you're wanting a St. Croix rod, I would want the 7' MH Avid with a fast tip - targeting smallmouth with the 1/4 - 3/16 oz jigs. The MH Avid has plenty of backbone to set the size jigs mentioned and up to 3/8 oz. MH action will give you a lot of fun with the smallmouth, while still handling the largemouth. C-rig with the same rod, using a 3/8 - 1/2 oz weight, again with the "smaller" northern bass you should be fine. If you were down south, it's an entirely different thing. Try some Yo-Zuri Hybrid in 12# or 15# on the St. Croix MH and you should have a lot of fun with the smallies. This rod would also be excellent for tubes and senko's- a smallie favorite. With a limited amount of rods, the MH will give you a lot more options over the Heavy.
Old 08-29-07, 02:06 AM   #9
skeeter944

I really like at least a 7' MH or even H action rod for jigs and carolina rigs. I fish 3/8 and 1/2 ounce jigs in light to moderate cover, I like using 20lb Fluorocarbon also. I reccomend getting this dvd, it is very informative.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...12000_100-12-1
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 03:25 PM   #10
lunker-lander

Well Reb, I do like Falcon, especially the LowRiders. I have a Med Act. Bass Spinner that I use for Spinnerbaits, I LOVE IT!! I like the sound of that Falcon you say you have. What is their website, I would like to check it out? Also, would this be good for C-Riggin' and Jiggin'?
Old 08-29-07, 03:41 PM   #11
lunker-lander

FC-6-17
Carolina Lizard Dragger I
H

12-25 lb.
3/8 to 1oz.
7'
With the introduction of this rod, Falcon became the first company to design a rod with the proper guides and action to fish Carolina Rigs. And it's still the best.

Hey guys, how do this rod look for C-Rigs and Jigs? 8 guides, Heavy Action, 7 feet, etc. This shold work well, since most jigs and carolina rigs have a total weight of the listed weight range.
Old 08-29-07, 05:13 PM   #12
skeeter944

Thats a great rod! Match that up with atleast 20lb line, and you ahve a mighty fine setup!
Old 08-29-07, 05:37 PM   #13
lunker-lander

So this would be a good Jig and C-Rig rod? If so, what gear ratio reel would you recommend?
Old 08-29-07, 06:07 PM   #14
bassfisher02

C'mon Lunker... He JUST said it was a great set-up, why would he lie to you? The manufacturer makes it for exactly what you need, that alone is enough [atleast for me] to figure out whether or not its a good rod for said application.

As far as gear ratio goes, think about it. Jigging, what do you do? Usually, and under most circumstances, you use a slow presentation for jigging, bouncing it up and down. So, what would be the advantages of a high gear ratio? Not much, other than possible use of it for other applications. A lower gear ratio will help to get extra power over fish, think about it like a manual transmission, you'll get more power and torque in 1 and 2nd gear opposed to 5th.

Most of the questions you are asking can easily be figured out if you thought about it, before just throwing it out there for everyone to tell you. I mean its fine if you want help on deciding a rod, but stop responding to everyones suggestions with the same question: "So its a good rod for such and such?" You've got good responses, a good rod looked at, and a good idea on what gear ratio will suit you best. Notice I didnt tell you exactly what gear ratio to get, because I want you to figure that out on your own, power or speed? Make the decision with your knowledge on the matter. Use your brain, you have plenty of good fishing knowledge, so put it to use.
Old 08-29-07, 10:23 PM   #15
skeeter944

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
So this would be a good Jig and C-Rig rod? If so, what gear ratio reel would you recommend?
I like a 6.3:1 gear ratio, although some like a 7.1:1. I dont see any big advantage of that high a gear ratio plus the lower the ratio the more power you'll have.
Old 08-29-07, 10:58 PM   #16
CLENSKH
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CLENSKH

G Loomis Jig and worm rod... No better rod out there
Old 08-30-07, 02:06 AM   #17
bassboogieman

Quote:
I like St.Croix brand, St.Croix man to death.
Personally, I'm beginnig to think he's full of stinkbait........................
Old 08-30-07, 08:59 PM   #18
lunker-lander

Well guys, after a small call to Cabela's about a rod price today, the question popped up,"Whatcha gonna use this rod for son?" So, being the honest person I am, I said C-Riggin' and Bass Jiggin'. So, "Don", the Cabela's fishing rep. says that the Falcon Carolina Lizard Dragger will not work for BOTH C-Rigs and Jiggin'. Well why not? Because "Don" here says that a 7' rod is too long for jiggin, even for small 1-4 to 1/2 ounce jigs. Is this true for you guys too?? Will this rod be too long for me to jig AND C-Rig???
Hey guys, thanks for dickin' with me so far and stickin out all my questions, I really appreiate all the helpful people on this site.

-LL-
Old 08-30-07, 09:11 PM   #19
bassfisher02

I personally like a long rod for jigging, gives me more leverage to horse out hawgs from cover...

If you think about it, theres no reason you cant use your worm rod for C-rigging, there is no difference really. Only big difference is instead of the worm being weightless, or having the weight right on the worm, its a foot or so above it... So I believe the wormin' rod will be fine for c-riggin. Jiggin is about structure fishing, you want low gear ratios and a strong, long rod. I'd go MH or H, atleast 7'
Old 08-30-07, 09:35 PM   #20
lunker-lander

So BF02, in English, the 7' Lizard Dragger will working fine for C-Riggin and Jiggin??
Old 08-30-07, 09:55 PM   #21
bassfisher02

I dont speak any other language...
Old 08-30-07, 09:59 PM   #22
lunker-lander

C'Mon BF...
Old 08-30-07, 10:09 PM   #23
bassfisher02

? Are you serious?

I can say the yes for like the 50th time, but I'm pretty sure you will reply with a question asking if "as in yes, you mean yes, or no?"

Old 08-30-07, 10:45 PM   #24
lunker-lander

Yeah, sometimes I can be a Dur-Da-Dur!!!
Old 08-30-07, 10:48 PM   #25
lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter944 View Post
I like a 6.3:1 gear ratio, although some like a 7.1:1. I dont see any big advantage of that high a gear ratio plus the lower the ratio the more power you'll have.
Well skeet, would you go below a 6.3, or is this a bare-minimum low??

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.