Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-06-05, 09:45 PM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Shimano VBS Weights  HELP!

Well I just got in my Calais 100A today. ;D I of course immediately opened it, and got goose bumps. Anyway after reading through the manual etc... I come to find out how completely lost I am with this breaking system :-[ It's a centrifugal break system, which is the same as the Curado, however the catch is that they have different size weights ??? There is Small, Medium, and Large. I have went to their site, and reading everything I can, it gives no information that I can find about setting up the reel. I obvioulsy still consider myself a "ROOKIE" with a baitcaster. So I would prefer to set it up with more breaking for less backlashes until I get better with it. On my Curado, I set 4 brakes on, and 2 off. This hurts distance, but helps backlashes which is more important to me right now. But if I do the same with the Calais, what size weights should I use? If anyone has any experience or knowledge of this I would greatly appreciate your input here.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-05, 10:00 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Shimano VBS Weights Â*HELP!

Lizards, I'll hazard a guess that the heaviest would probably give you the most braking.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-05, 10:07 PM   #3
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b

use the medium brake they should be the normal size Put in most shimanos brake system. IMO shimanos breaking system is not very good (I have should Know i have 6 of them) when i finally tried one of the teamdaiwas (it was the new fuego) and its cast controll was stunning it actually casted alot farther than one of my chronarchs (new ones) and it out casted it by so much. Well what i am trying to say is thew next reel you should buy is this one try one and see if you cant want to switch reels after one cast! ;D
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 01:01 AM   #4
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Lizards, Put the heaviest weights in for the light lures and the lighter weights in for the heavy lures. It sounds backwards, but you cast a light lure harder to go a certain distance than a heavy lure would needed to be casted. Does that make sense? P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 07:21 AM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: Shimano VBS Weights  HELP!

PNJ,

Yes it makes sense, and thanks. I will be using it for heavier stuff right now. Would the medium weights be best for all around performance from say 3/8 oz-3/4 oz?

I realize i need to just use it, but setting it up before I start throwing it, usually helps greatly on the birdsnest

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 10:36 AM   #6
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Lizards,
I have the same reel and many of their older reels that are the top of the line, I set 2 of thier little tequila hats up and let the others go,
I ended up adjusting the one I flip with all the way out and then fine tune it with the side brake or loosen the other side to get a freespool effect that I control with my thumb..all my other 5 reels tho I experimented with,
esp. the ones that are geared dif for high speed retrievals..You'll end up loving that reel, I had 5 of them stolen once out of a boat slip in KY lake on all star rods,
I replaced all the rods with bionic blade brand and couldnt be happier.. i was paying 188 per rod on the ALL STAR
10 BB & 1 RB A-RB® Anti-Rust Bearings are at least 10 times more corrosion resistant than standard stainless steel bearings. Solid, unflexing one-piece Aluminum frame. Aluminum sideplates keep moving parts in precise alignment for increased smoothness and durability. ¼ turn Easy Access Sideplate allows quick access to the VBS system. Variable Brake System (VBS®) uses centrifugal brake weights for more manageable freespool and longer casts. Spare Brake Weight Block holds up to 2 extra brake weights allowing the angler a larger variety of VBS® settings. High Efficiency Gearing (HEG®) provides a high speed retrieve and unbelievable amounts of torque. Ultra-Smooth Dartanium Drag provides a wide range of drag settings. Recessed Reel Foot for increased comfort and palmability. A7075 Aluminum Wiffle Spool is extremely lightweight for low startup inertia. Greaseless Spool Support Bearings for faster freespool. Super Stopper® Anti-Reverse for instant hooksetting power. Assist Stopper backup anti-reverse system. Super Free Bearing Supported Pinion Gear System (SF™) eliminates friction between the pinion gear and spool shaft for faster freespool. Tapered Titanium Levelwind Insert reduces friction for longer casts and allows for easier setup. Ergonomic Septon™ Paddle Grips provide a non-slip grip even when wet. Cold Forged handle shank does not flex or bend and provides more efficient transmission of power to the drivetrain.
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.