Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-01-11, 07:19 AM   #1
SaminVa
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Jerkbait cadence ?

I know the Jerkbait has it's place in Spring time... at what water temp. do you all start really throwing them... & what is your favorite cadence....I threw one last Sunday at a lake known for very large bass, water temp was 47*--48*, I tried twitch twitch pause. with some mix up..with a fast cadence... then a slow cadence.. never got a bite. that day...previous day caught 2.. smithwick susp. rogue & a gold looking rapala .. both about 5" long. I gave this an honest try at about 3 hours of fishing.. just knowing that big momma was cruising around waiting to terrorize this thing.
please let me know your favorite cadence, the bait & approx. h20 temp....
Thanks, Sam
Old 03-01-11, 07:45 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would have to say your on the right track. Smithwick, LuckyCraft, Rapala, Excaliber and others all make excellent jerk baits. And I'll start to use them pretty much right after ice out. Generaly, I'll cast it out, reel it down and pause, then I vary my retrieves untill I start to hook up. Anywhere from a single tug, to 3 tugs. Something like a moderate tug, then short tug tug followed by letting the lure suspend anywhere between 10-30 seconds. If we get several days of warm weather, I'll often do better with a floating jerk bait worked at the surface and just below.
Old 03-01-11, 08:44 AM   #3
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Its all about the pause. Sometimes it is painful to pause a lure that long , but that is the ticket. I usually do to snappy jerks then let it sit for 30 seconds or more. Then one very light pop. Usually what happens is you get teh fishes attention with the first two pops and starts gettin closer to examine it. Then that small pop triggers the strike. The key is to let teh fish tell you what they want. As for water temp, if it isnt frozen, throw the jerkbait. For me the jerkbait has become a year round bait.

Also make sure you check the bait befor ethrowin out there... It needs to suspend or sink VERY slowly in a nose slightly down attitude. Use suspend strips to fine tune.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 12:43 PM   #4
cassidyta

I agree with Walker on this one. When the water is under 55, most of my strikes come on a the pause or when it finally moves immediately after the pause. When I am using a long pause, my first movement is similar to my drop shot motion. I want the bait to twitch but not move location very much. I have found that simply raising the slack will often do this. If I am not getting hit on the jerk bait, I will often switch over to a drop shot fluke.
Old 03-01-11, 02:22 PM   #5
Bassboss

Well, in Florida when the water was cold (like in the 50's, and high 40's) I used a 1-2-3 with half second pauses in between, and let it sit for 5, or 8 seconds. That produced a couple good bass for me. But experiment with what works best, and don't make the jerks to hard, nice and light. I was using rouges and x-raps, but a got a few LC's that I can't wait to try out.
Old 03-01-11, 02:29 PM   #6
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If the water temps are low (under 52ish) I will pop once, let it sit for 10-20 seconds, pop twice and repeat the pause.

If it is over 52, I have found a number of different cadences work. My typical one is pop, 5 count, pop, pop, 5 count. I remember a tournament in the spring of 2002 - we were sweeping the bait as much as 3 feet, pause for 5 count, sweep and repeat. The water temp on that day was 54 degrees. Immediately following the sweep, while the bait was paused is when they would hit it.

Moral of the story - try different cadences until you find what they are looking for.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 09:31 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

I agree with what CamG said, there isn't a cadence that works all the time. As a general rule, the colder the water the longer I will pause the bait (some guys on Table Rock will pause their jerkbaits for as long as a minute in the dead of winter, this is just too painful for me so I usually don't pause that long). Jerkbaits will catch fish all winter long so there isn't a temperature when I start throwing them, other than when the water hits the low 60's or lower. My favorite jerkbaits are Lucky Craft Pointers, Suspending Rogues, Spro McSticks, and Jackall Squirrels.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 11:05 PM   #8
SaminVa

My son & I caught some on a Rogue & Rapala a couple of weeks ago... I started 2nd guessing myself after Sundays 0 on the jerkbait.. even though it was on a diff. body of water... I think I may not be letting it sit still long enough... the previous ones did hit hit when it was stopped.
Old 03-01-11, 11:59 PM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

The cold water pauses are almost painful and as exciting as watching the grass grow, but it works.
Old 03-02-11, 01:19 AM   #10
Strike_King 609

caught a 6.4 last march on a sexy shad jerkbait i changed the hooks out to red ones. I find that jerkbaits are most affective when stucture is present whether. Slow and stedy wins the race. Good luck during the prespawn [/IMG]

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.