Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 04-06-05, 11:23 AM   #1
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Gonna try this again....

I had this post nearly completed last night, only to lose it somehow when I hit the back button...

I don't think it is possible to take such a fishing trip as I did, make numerous strategic decisions, and to do it all without having made a few mistakes. The stated goal of my trip was to catch a 10 pound bass, in that respect I clearly failed. The first 3 days I spent trying numerous different things in a hope of dicovering the one pattern that would deliver me Dean Rojas type numbers, in retorospect I should have probably limited it to 1 day or a day in a half searching for new patterns. On day 4, thursday, I tried something that I knew had the potential to work as it had worked previous years, flipping isolated bullrushes in 4 feet of water with a hard sandy bottom. It didn't take landing a 5 pounder to realize that this was my best bet and that my mistake had been not going to it earlier. The next morning, friday I resumed fishing the isolated clumps of bulrushes only to lose 2 fish that were as big as the 5 I had caught the previous day - and then the winds came. That knocked me off my bullrush pattern, I tried several times to make it out on to the main lakes to find some rushes in a similar situation but it was not to be. In the end I even got within 100 yards of 1 patch, only to realize I was surrounded by heavy whitecaps.

It seems that as soon as I had discovered the pattern that I should be pursuing, I was knocked off it. Thats how it goes I guess with only 6 days to fish and such an ambitious goal. I really don't have any huge regrets, looking back on the events in order I understand why I made each decision. Perphaps I wish I just had the foresight to know that the weather would not stay at 83 and calm, or that spending my time flipping the massive wall of rushes on hatchineha was too slow and unproductive.

As for details and suggestions, I would suggest that fishing hard on such a trip is obvious - you don't get chances like those every day. In the case of Florida too, I would suggest narrowing down the line of options, focusing on isolated patches of cover out in the lake perhaps, instead of the long weedbeds which do stretch for miles. I think I covered too much water.

Two common phrases stick out to me regarding this trip. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. In regards to this I was never skunked, even when the wind blew in the 30 mph range on a saturday and it was wall to wall traffic in the canals I managed several good fish. In that respect maybe my sucess becomes a relative thing, relative to others and to the conditions with which I was faced.

The other saying is more vulgar, you can't make chicken salad out of chickensh!t. This one is true and notable too. I didn't hear of a 10 pound bass being caught by anybody that week, maybe the alignment of the planets wasn't right or something - or maybe taking 6 days and saying you are gonna catch a 10 pounder is unrealistic.

zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-05, 11:23 AM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: Gonna try this again....

Well anyway, here are some pics. Â*The fish pics leave much to be desired now, they were all taken with the fish being held in my right and the camera in my left, hence you have tails cut off ect. Â*

My boat and tow vehicle in Tuscaloosa. Â*Not hard to imagine why I can have trouble with the wind.

The Suwannee River, Florida. Â*I spent 4 hours here, didn't catch anything. Â*The river was very, very high. Â*

Cypress tree in the Dead river, between lake Hatchineha and Cypress. Â*Caught good numbers in the Dead river, but the size is why I left. Â*

Sunset the first day.

Look at the size of that bass... ;D

Northern Hatchineha...lots of rushes, but lots of mudfish too. Â*

I started getting a pattern revved up on Thursday. Â*Lake Cypress.

The biggest bass of the trip, 5 pounds and this is the best pic I got. Â*I guess that is a regret. Â*Once again lake Cypress. Â*

Sunset on Thursday, should have taken it as a sign. Â*

A truly interesting picture. Â*A freind of mine who I had met on previous trips to kissimmee chain, Bernie, had passed away as I understand it earlier this year. Â*Well by chance my trip coincided with his memorial service on lake Hatchineha, where they spread his ashes. Â*That beam of light you see in the pic? Â*It is focused exactly on where his ashes were spread, some 5 hours after they were spread. Â*And some people question the existence of a superior being?

Caught the last day in the canal, flipping a Charlie's worm as many boats passed by. Â*

Random sunset. Â*

I guess that is it. Lizards, we all expect the same out of you in a month or so...lots of pics...lots of details.
Old 04-06-05, 12:46 PM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

It sounds like you had a good time ;D Unfortunately only two pictures are coming up, the rest are just red x's Well the only good news for me is, that hopefully the guide will put us on some fish, and at least establish some kind of good pattern to work. Found out 2 days ago, my bro-in-law is coming down from SC to meet us also 8) But will probably just go out with us sunday, without the guide, and then back towards St Augustine and fish there for a couple of days. Anyway way to go, and glad you caught some nice fish. I hopefully will hit the double digit, but not counting on it I am getting stoked more everyday. Then I get back to town for 2 days, just to go fish my first tournament ever 8) Well hopefully I can learn some new tricks while I'm down there. I think I may push for the ST Johns, since 4 out of the six tournaments are on the Ohio River.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-05, 04:18 PM   #4
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

I think that those "shoepicks also known as grennel" (sp) weigh 5 lbs when born.
Fun to catch though, rough on equipment.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-05, 05:53 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i also can only see 2 pictures, the rest red x's. sounds like a good time, like its been stated before, alot of people come down to florida in hopes of that infamous double digit bass, then come to realize that its not gunna happen. would of been alot better if the wind could have to a break while you were down here. anyways, next time down you'll get em. but all in all sounds like a great time. did you see any beds, or anything that would suggest if the bass were in spawn?
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-05, 06:00 PM   #6
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

I have no idea why yall can only see 2 pics...oh well.

02, yea I saw some beds that were huge, looked to be abandoned already. None of the fish that I caught had any eggs in the gut, so I think I was hitting mostly on the post spawn. I'm sure the bass that I caught on the bullrush patches were postspawn, they will probably be out there all summer.

Its a good thing that catching a 10 lber is so hard to do, if it were easier then that mark would mean less.
Old 04-06-05, 06:03 PM   #7
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

did you put all the pictures on a photobucket type place? just alittle bummed, i really wanted to see some pics, but o well.
Old 04-06-05, 06:21 PM   #8
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

http://community.webshots.com/script...toID=282901561

Here is the link to where I have them - maybe you can get a look that way. The first pic from the trip is of an explorer with a boat, and then after that all are from the trip.
Old 04-06-05, 06:30 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

nope, says there was an error because im not the owner of the album.
Old 04-06-05, 11:06 PM   #10
bassguy2004

Couldn't check out the pics.
Old 04-07-05, 12:17 AM   #11
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

I'll try and figure out how to get them so that yall can see them later. Mostly they are a bunch of good scenery, like I said the fish pics were poorly framed.
Old 04-08-05, 08:52 PM   #12
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Good story, I enjoyed it. Here's a tip: if you plan on making a long post to any forum, consider doing it in a word processing program, then copying and pasting to the forum. That'll prevent loss by accidentally hitting the back button or whatever.

I only saw two sunset pictures, but I saw no red x's. Maybe that's because I'm using Firefox and the others are using IE?
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 10:56 PM   #13
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

To see the pics, right click on one and go to "properties" down at the bottom. Highlite the URL address, right click, and click on "copy". Then just go to google, right click and paste. Once you;ve done the search it will say something about pictures. Below that is a web address, the same one you typed in, and click on it. Then the pick comes up.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 10:57 PM   #14
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

... or you could just copy the URL and oaste it in up top.
Old 04-08-05, 10:58 PM   #15
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Hula, for the record I guess can you see all the pics that way?
Old 04-08-05, 11:03 PM   #16
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Yep, Â*they're really cool pics. Â*Is that a largemouth in the net? Â*It looks kinda different, almost like a Suwanee bass. Â*And thats a pretty sweet pic of the sunset the first day. And what kind of camera were you using, cause those pics turned out really well.
Old 04-08-05, 11:33 PM   #17
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Look more closely, that first fish in the net is really a mudfish...hehe. I wish it were a suwanee. I did catch some in the dead river that looked like suwanees, real heavy bodied fish, real dark. I figure that was just because the water was colored like coffee. I borrowed the camera from a friend, it was a sony. It did do a nice job.
Old 04-09-05, 12:04 AM   #18
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

tha mudfish is light. usually, atleast in my experience, they are a browner color. they are a pain tho. those were nice pics. i especially liked the one with the rays of light where your friend's ashes were scattered into the water, that was him goin up to the good lord. anyways, all nice pictures, and nice bass.
Old 04-09-05, 12:05 AM   #19
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

thats weird, now i can see all the pictures on the post, after i looked them all up.
Old 04-09-05, 12:24 AM   #20
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=WTL link=board=Tourneys;num=1112797385;start=0#16 date=04/08/05 at 22:33:02]Look more closely, that first fish in the net is really a mudfish...hehe. I wish it were a suwanee. Â*I did catch some in the dead river that looked like suwanees, real heavy bodied fish, real dark. Â*I figure that was just because the water was colored like coffee. Â*I borrowed the camera from a friend, it was a sony. Â*It did do a nice job. Â*[/quote]

Whoa, that is a really really light colored mudfish. Its body is curved so you can't see the fins that well. Probably why I didn't identify it as a mudfish.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.