Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-08, 04:29 PM   #1
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default any opinions on a decent baitcaster

i've been looking for a low priced baitcaster for my son to learn to use and
have been thinking of picking up the abu garcia ambassadeur for him . does anybody have any thoughts or experiance with that reel or an idea of something in that price range instead ?
Jim80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 04:49 PM   #2
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Don't buy a cheap baitcaster! If you do, you'll have a hell of a harder time than you would if you bought a good one. Spend the $100-150 and you'll be much happier. I'd reccommend a Shimano Citica, although the reel you have is a good one.

-Buzz

P.S. - Welcome to the forums!
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 04:53 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Get ready for an onslaught of opinions. Here's mine (The best one ): Abu Garcia Revo's are great reels, all of them. I'd get him one of those over an Ambassadeur, just for the size. The SX model or better has Magnetic brakes which will be easier for him to adjust as he gets better. My first reel was a Daiwa, and they are still my favorite reel company. They're reels are great, and have something in pretty much every price range. My Daiwa Viento is my favorite reel. I've never used a Quantum but heard they're good. You can't go wrong with Shimano either. And finally, Pfleuger (or BPS reels) are good. I have the BPS Johnny Morris Signature reel, and if you're willing to spend that much for him, this would be the reel I'd suggest for a beginnger. It has Centrifugal brakes and Magnetic. I have to say it casts like a dream.

No matter what, I'd go with a reel with magnetic brakes for a beginner just because of thei ease of use. With centrifual brakes you have to take the sideplate off the reel (unless you buy a $600 shimano reel), and the Ambassaduer you actually have to unscrew three screws and take it off, then set it, then put the screws back in. Like I said, for a beginner, I'd go with either magnetic brakes or a Pfleuger or BPS reel with the dual brakes.

Just remember, like with most things, you get what you pay for. This is especially true when it comes to fishing reels/rods.

BB
Old 05-02-08, 04:57 PM   #4
TNRACER93
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a few of the new quantum code 8 bearings. They sell for $79 at bass pro i have been very happy with them for the price you cant beat it..
TNRACER93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 05:17 PM   #5
bamabassman

garcia fan here. and i just bought a new one from wally world. it cost me about 90 bucks. wonderful reel. i had a pinnacle from wally world, but, it kept tearing up. it cost 50 bucks. so there you have it. you get what you pay for. buzzie is right, you buy a cheap one, and it'll cause you more trouble in the long run. somewhere around 100 bucks is ok in my opion. just my 2 cents worth. also, catch a plane, train, or hitch hike and come here for the get together. we are gonna have a blast.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 05:19 PM   #6
BERKLEY83
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Abu Garcia Black Maxx Has A The Same Set Up As The Revo But Way Cheaper And Just As Good. They Sell On Tacklewarehouse.com For $50.00 Bucks Also Has Free Shipping Every Thing Over $50.00 So Throw In A Bag Of Worms And You Have Free Shipping.
BERKLEY83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 06:02 PM   #7
islandbass

It might be cheaper if you give him a hand me down of yours. My daughter uses my older Curado BSF (old greenie) and it didn't cost me a penny.

I think the Max series from Abu and Daiwa's House Reels from BPS or Cabelas seem like good candidates. Good luck!
Old 05-02-08, 06:48 PM   #8
keithdog

Some good comments so far so of course I have to weigh in. I'm a Garcia man and have been for most of my life. You could go with an Ambassadeur such as a C3. I recently purchased a Revo S and love it. It is easier to cast than the C3, and especially for a beginner. He would have far less problems with backlashes than he would with the Ambassadeur models. And you want to be sure to provide a reel he can use and enjoy without too many backlashes which will only cause disappointment and maybe turn him off baitcasting completely. Plus, the Revo is a smaller profile reel and easier to handle, especially with smaller hands than the larger frame Ambassadeur reels. The Revo S will run you about $30.00 more, so that could figure into your decision. But it would be a $30.00 well spent. Now another reel I would recommend which runs a little less than the Revo is the Cabellas Prodigy reel. I bought my first one last year and liked it so much I now have two of them. It runs around $99.00, but you can often get them on sale. It is IMHO the best reel for under $100 out there. And it is also low profile which is easier to use for many folks.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 07:55 PM   #9
bamabassman

I'M WITH KEITHDOG!! GARCIA ALL THE WAY PAL!!! hahahaha.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 08:01 PM   #10
Jim80

thanks for all the replies i'll probally shoot for the revo for him and he will be better off than i was when i was 7 and i'll probally get one for myself to and give the old johnson baitcaster a little rest
Jim80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 08:49 PM   #11
WTL

Buzz, you are dead wrong. You can get a fine baitcaster for under $60. I mean I just can't let what you said go, I know your are a tackle snob and everything but the BPS Extremes are great reels. And this is for his son, not Kevin Van Dam - he wants to teach him how but you never know if a kid will take to bass fishing. Of course a REVO is a fine reel, but he just doesn't have to spend that much money.
Old 05-02-08, 10:16 PM   #12
rrw4258

I recently bought a Abu Garcia Black Max, and absoulutely love it! It casts great, super smooth retrieve, and a excellent drag system. It is a GREAT reel for $50... and don't forget it you buy it, there is a $10 Rebate through Abu Garcia, so it is an even better deal for $40. I have been trying baits out on it so far, and it is pretty much a well rounded reel. I have used it for 1/4 to 3/8 oz. spinnerbaits, crankbaits, weightless stickbaits, and jigs... and all have performed well.

Ryan
Old 05-02-08, 10:17 PM   #13
flbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Buzz, you are dead wrong. You can get a fine baitcaster for under $60. I mean I just can't let what you said go, I know your are a tackle snob and everything but the BPS Extremes are great reels. And this is for his son, not Kevin Van Dam - he wants to teach him how but you never know if a kid will take to bass fishing. Of course a REVO is a fine reel, but he just doesn't have to spend that much money.
Full agreement. I believe my Ambasseudeaeuaeeuyur cost like 65 bucks. I'd suggest that. The idea of getting a new reel, and giving your son the old one isn't a bad idea either. Worst case scenario, he doesn't like your old one, you've got a new one, and neither is much worse for the wear.
Old 05-04-08, 10:07 AM   #14
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Revo............
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 11:16 PM   #15
bassinbob

The Shimano Citica is a good reel for a beginner. It has a rebate also.
Old 05-08-08, 01:27 PM   #16
titanxt
BassFishin.Com Member

As a long time Abu fan, I must give a huge vote for the Shimano Citica. Until the recent Shimano rebate offer drew me in, all I owned (or wanted to own) was 4600 C3's and C4's. I could not see paying more than $75.00 for a reel that would possibly perform only marginally over the round Abu's. However, I took the plung and will never look back!!!

I bought both the Citica 200DPV (5.0:1 ratio) and the 100DSP (6.2:1 ratio). The 100DSP is a much smaller reel and would fit in the hands of a young person very well. Even with the rebate over, you can still buy the Citica's for $99.99 with free shipping from tacklewarehouse.com.

The reason why I love the reel so much is that I was able to put the 200DPV on a 7' Shimano Crucial medium power/medium action crank bait rod and was able to launch anything from a 1/4 ounce crankbait to a heavy swimbait without a single adjustment to the reel! With just a tiny amount of thumb pressure I was able to avoid all backlashes. That is not the case with my beloved C3's and C4's...

Also, my brother owns a very nice Revo SX. After swaping rods for a few casts, he is now purchasing his own Citica.

Hope this helps.
titanxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 11:28 PM   #17
backinthesaddle
BassFishin.Com Member

I learned on a abu 5000. doesn't mean much though you haven't seen me fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its not back lash its professional over run!!
backinthesaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 11:40 PM   #18
Jim80

the first baitcaster i ever threw was one of the 34.99 shakespeare rod and reel combos that you can find at your local kmart professional over run trust me i know the the pain on the bright side of it I learned how to be patient and unravel the reel fairly quickly ( by way of a sharp knife and always having extra line ) to this day i still have the reel just hanging out in a draw as a reminder
Old 05-09-08, 09:45 AM   #19
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Wing View Post
Don't buy a cheap baitcaster! If you do, you'll have a hell of a harder time than you would if you bought a good one. Spend the $100-150 and you'll be much happier. I'd reccommend a Shimano Citica, although the reel you have is a good one.

-Buzz

P.S. - Welcome to the forums!
I disagree!!! Buzz thatz the bait monkey talking. As a first bait caster. I would determine how much you plan fishing it. The other thing is some people just never catch on to the use of a baitcaster. My best fishing budy Steve only throws Spinning reels. My suggestion is Try find a used reel say from Ebay or craigslist. I have a cheapy that i keep in the truck with a 2 piece rod tied to a shad rap. That way if see a pond or creak. I can stop & throw a few times. If it getz stolen what am i out not much. The reel is a Shakesphere Axion it is a 4 bearing reel. There are 2 low profile models sold at Wally world. One is 20 i don't know the model make of that junk. But the Axion does not come with line. Your looking at about 30 dollars. If you go this route your not out much if find yourself liking the baitcaster.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 09:49 AM   #20
Lilmoosecountry

Besides DROPPING a LARGE AMOUNT on a reel that you may or may not like does'nt make much since. If you fall in love with the baitcaster. Then i say go out & buy a nice new rigg.
Old 05-09-08, 10:00 AM   #21
Jim80

like i mentioned earlier I've had a johnson bait caster for a while and also have a abu garcia ambassaduer that gets used a lot i really haven't taken the step into higher priced equipment yet and don't know if i plan to i have never really had a problem catching fish with what i use now , but one day I'm sure I'll cave and spend a stupid amount of money on a reel that i just have to have when i see it but what i have i good for now . the ambassaduer is sitting on 7ft mh lighting rod and the johnson is on the same then i have south bend and shimano spinning reels on 6ft mh rino rods , it's enough for me to catch fish as well as the next guy and my tackle is not much of a dif story even though a try to buy one or two new items a week weather it's the season or not but it's all about being happy just being on the water and being able to catch fish
Old 05-09-08, 10:23 AM   #22
Lilmoosecountry

Jim you've got the right attitude towards fishing!!!!
Old 05-09-08, 10:28 AM   #23
Jim80

it's what works for me ,most the time i get out it's with my sons and then main focus is keeping their lines in the water although my 7 years old is learning to rig his own worms and throw lures which is why he wanted a baitcaster so he could have a reel like dad
Old 05-09-08, 02:44 PM   #24
Lilmoosecountry

Then my sugestion is the Wally World Shakesphere axion. The retail is 28.99 before tax.
Old 05-09-08, 02:46 PM   #25
Lilmoosecountry

NEW name same reel.http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/p...baitcast.shtml

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.