Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-18-11, 11:33 AM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Advice on Hard Jerkbaits

I have a tourney sunday , water temp upper 40's I am planning on using a hard jerkbait. What are the best areas to fish a hard jerkbait ? I am not real good with one. I suppose points , but what else ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 11:48 AM   #2
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

You can use them anywhere, but you are right, points are where it's at right now. Try main lake points at entrances to spawning coves. You might also try the first points into any spawning areas, normaly refered to as secondary points. At 40 degree water temps, you have the right bait, just remember to work it as slow as you can. Jerk it down and give it long pauses with gentle short sweeps to move it. If the water gets a little warmer, you can speed it up with more rapid jerks.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 12:31 PM   #3
CamG

You've got the right idea, and pro reel gave you some good advice.

Just my opinion on jerkbait fishing...jerkbaits need wind and clearish water too really shine. If you find yourself fishing a cold, slick lake - you're probably better off fishing a finesse jig.

Another great bait for cold water with clearish water and a little chop is a grub.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 01:38 PM   #4
walkeraviator

Which lake CMorg?
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 03:54 PM   #5
CMorg

Dogwood in Glendale In.
Old 03-18-11, 03:55 PM   #6
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
You've got the right idea, and pro reel gave you some good advice.

Just my opinion on jerkbait fishing...jerkbaits need wind and clearish water too really shine. If you find yourself fishing a cold, slick lake - you're probably better off fishing a finesse jig.

Another great bait for cold water with clearish water and a little chop is a grub.

Ive never fished a grub before. Is it more a steady retrieve ?
Old 03-18-11, 04:08 PM   #7
CamG

Grubs are quite versatile lures. You can fish them at really any depth. If you see them suspended, obviously swim them at the depth the fish are hanging. My favorite way when you have cold water is let it hit bottom and slowly drag or swim on or just off the bottom.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 06:25 PM   #8
Embrey

i hate these things... only fish ive ever caught on one in two years just nailed it when it hit the water...go figure
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 06:57 PM   #9
woody

I would position my boat "a whole cast and a 1/2 from shore", early. Then, depending on the conditions, try moving up... GOOD LUCK!

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 10:13 AM   #10
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have to agree with Pro Reel. I'd also be sticking to the north portions of the lake as they warm faster than the southern side. I was checking out the 3 lakes in my area wendsday evening and in all the lakes, 70 % of the water was open water. The only ice remaining was in the southern basins. Also, a deadly lure for me this early is a 3/8oz. white or black/blue chatterbait with a simple twin tail trailer. I simply cast it out, let it sink to the bottom and slow reel it back to the boat. No special extra rod movements in this extra cold water yet. Just a slow and easy retrieve does it for me this early in the season. Occationally I'll stop the retrieve to let hit hit bottom again and restart the slow retrieve.
Old 03-20-11, 08:33 PM   #11
Garry2rs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

With Jerk-baits you need to start and end with slack in the line.
To break it down, you snap the rod tip and the bait glides forward.
Next, pick-up most, but not all of the slack.
Have a "C" curve of line from the rod tip to the water...Snap the tip again.
The bait will abruptly change direction.
This is the key!
Pick up most of the slack and snap the tip again.
The bait will glide off in a new direction...and so on.
With some baits you can just pump the tip and the bait will wiggle almost in the same spot...
This works well when you cast past the prime target, then work the bait into the strike zone and just hover there for awhile.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 09:15 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Everyone here has gave you some real solid advice. One thing that I didn't see anyone say so I will add it is that not all jerkbaits are designed to have the same action. For example a Rogue is an easy bait to overwork because it it's really designed to have a big time darting action like a Lucky Craft Pointer. I like baits with less action like a Rogue in colder water and as the water warms up and fish get more active I will start fishing jerkbaits like Lucky Craft Pointers or Jackall Squirrels that have more action. With Rogues I just give the rod tip soft little twitches and then pause but with baits like the Pointers or Squirrels I will give it more aggressive jerks.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 10:12 PM   #13
Lvitch
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would also look for bait balked up in the deepest holes you can find and rip a 1/2 oz - 1 oz Hopkins spoon through them. A drop shot may work well also.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.