Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-26-05, 07:58 AM   #1
H2O
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Any suggestion about how to free a snag lure from bank?

I recently go fish from bank a lot. I think it's easy way for me now. I did catch fish from bank. However, it's pain to lose lures that snagged at bottom. I found it's hard to free them from bank. I don't want to swim for sure .

So any suggestion?

I've read this :
http://www.lakeforktackle.com/ultimateluresaver.html

Is it works? Also I've heard there is a pretty heavy(12oz) kinda lure-saver, you put it on your line and let it go down through your line,it can knock free your lure. Is that works?

Thanks.

H2O
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-05, 08:46 AM   #2
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

never pull hard on the lure when snagged,instead have no slack and pull lightly from all the possible directions.i know you dont want to swim but sometimes its the only way.who knows,you find quite a few baits under there too.even if they are not any good from rust or something,you know what other people are throwing.about that lure saver,it might work,but its going to take a lot action off the lure
Old 09-26-05, 12:21 PM   #3
Raul

Those lure retrievers donīt work well when fishing from the bank, in order to work you have to be on top of the lure so either the guide or the chains grab the hooks, but there are lure retrievers made from interconecting pieces of tube that extend up to 18 ft, BPS has them.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-05, 03:27 PM   #4
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

What I do is I give it some slack to get its self loose from what its stuck on and then snatch it. say if you have it thrown in a few limbs. Give it slack to fall down through the tree and then reel it until it is close to what it is stuck on and give it a good pull. I have about a 80% retreival rate doing this. IMO this is what braid is for getting lures loose from snags.
Old 09-26-05, 07:39 PM   #5
Marty

I have been fishing the Erie Canal a lot for the past 12 years, using crankbaits most of the time. The areas that I fish have wall-to-wal, lure-eating rocks and I've lost plenty.

As Raul mentioned, the slide-down-the-line types did not work for me. Then I bought a 20' telescoping retriever for about $23-$25 and that has since saved over $200 worth of cranks. It's a PITA to use, especially when there's heavy brush behind me where the retriever has to extend, but it's an even bigger PITA to lose baits.

I don't know how this would work on a snag that flexes, such as a branch. Would it free the lure or just move the branch? I don't know.

This is a description of the one I have from the manufacturer's site, but there is no picture:

DEEP-REECH
20' TELESCOPIC LURE RETRIEVER
The Deep Reech Lure Retriever is constructed of aluminum tubing. Four jointed fabrication for balance and easy extension and retraction. Independent CAM locking at each joint allows intermediate extension too any position up to 20 feet. Silver color with red grip and red tip.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-05, 09:05 PM   #6
KH.

how do you get one of them retrievers on???

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.