Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-22-05, 07:11 AM   #1
Shadow112950
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Shadow112950
Default Too fly fish or not

I was wondering If any of you guy's fly fish for bass on any local streams/creeks.I have been bouncing this idea around for many months and would like some opinions before I drop serious money down. I already have 3 ultralight set ups that I use in my local streams and since I have never fly fished was curious if it would be a waste of time/energy/money. :-/
Shadow112950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 10:28 AM   #2
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181
Default Re: Too fly fish or not

Have a friend who fly fishes go with you for your first outfit. Playing a bass or any large fish is sheer joy on a flyrod, and extremely enjoyable when fighting a good gill as well.
Taking someone having some experience should hopefully help you from falling into the extra equipment trap. You should be able to get a suitable starter rod and reel around 50 bucks....say another 20 or so for the line.
Having your friend teach you the basics in casting will also save a ton of bucks. Lessons are great, but expensive in my perspective.

Start on gills as they are readily available, then move onto bass and perhaps trout later on. A black rubber spider with white legs is all you will need at first. After that, perhaps a couple of poppers (small) to play with.

After you master the topwater basics, you will be moving on to sinking tips for fishing streamers and perhaps sinking line later on to get down to the deeper fish.....but that's all later on.

If you learn a few basic flies and how to tie them, you will fill the winter hours tying your own as well as being able to invent a few along the way. Always keep an open eye for cheaper materials. Lately I've been tying with the plastic fibers off a dollar store duster to obtain a translucent effect in colored flies and jigs.

Clean your fly line occasionally with rubbing alcohol, followed by a finish coat of Armor All. Get a jar of unscented Alboline at the drugstore, put it into small film cannisters and you will have a lifetime supply of flyline tippet floatant as well as a good floatant for dry flies. It melts on your fingertips and can be rubbed into the fly. In short, if you start fly fishing, you start a magic journey of sorts.

Also, there are several books on fly fishing for bass. I'd strongly recommend reading these particular books before beginning your journey. Have a great trip, Mac
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 10:35 AM   #3
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

hmmm you are wanting to become a fly slicer. after bass first off you said streams.that means small bodies of water. i have caught bass on a fly rod -which can be very fun-but not in streams, rivers yes. actually it is very easy to learn how to fly fish-just looks diffacult-i would go with a 6-7weight rod 8-9 feet long a level line-better for beginner's- most bass are not to line shy a 6 foot leader of 10 pound test would do it. a lot of the bass flys are dry flies -top water- i would wade upstream casting up stream. letting the fly come to you -keeping the slack fairly tight-nice thing about a 6-7 weight rod is it will still throw light pan fish/crappie fly's.
fly fishing not a sport that uses drags much you can't haul a bass out of cover very well. as the rods are limber and at most only put 1 pound of pressure on the hook even if the rod looks like a pretzel.
as for a reel i would buy one that has a palm brake -as in place palm of hand on edge of reel to slow it down-
i have fly fished since i was 5. i have caught record fish on a fly rod. and just about every kind of fish. if you think that a bass fisherman is a tackle junkie ya should see a fly fisherman's bug collection.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 10:39 AM   #4
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

Just for fun....go to www.riversmallies.com.....scroll down the list on the left to Fly Photos and click on that.
Oriented toward smallmouth bass, you will be able to look at a bunch of good flies for bassin. They will also work on largemouth. Just thought you might like to look.

The riversmallies currently does not have their forums section working, but when they get it back on line, they will feature a message board for fly fishing. A great place to start reading when it comes back.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 09:35 PM   #5
mrcj1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mrcj1

theres nothing wrong with a flyrod as long as it's got a spinning reel on it.
mrcj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 10:02 PM   #6
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

[quote author=Scotty link=board=news;num=1106388705;start=0#0 date=01/22/05 at 05:11:44] since I have never fly fished was curious if it would be a waste of time/energy/money. :-/[/quote]
It certainly wouldn't be a waste of time/energy/money if it brought you a great amount of enjoyment, to me, that's the most important factor. I have no idea if this is possible, but if you have a local fly shop (we have two here), give them a call and maybe they'll have an outfit you could rent so you could try it out without spending the big bucks. These places usually sponsor fly fishing classes too.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 10:24 PM   #7
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Learned how to fly fish about 4 years ago in Northern Maine. I did purchase my own equipment. I bought a 9 package deal. Rod/line/reel/flies- $40. This was purchased at walmart. Its not great equipment by all means. In fact theres probably some guys here cringing at this. The reason- I wanted to try another avenue of fishing, but if I didnt like it or decided it was not what I expected, I was only out $40 bucks. My buddy taught me how to do the basic overhand cast. I caught a ton of rainbow fish, some brown trout and a land locked salmon. Fly fishing is truly an art, I bring my cheap gear out every now and then, just to practice. My hat is off to the people that have mastered this technique. I will tell you though, and the others may agree- fly fishin aint cheap. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 10:46 PM   #8
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i tried it once... :-/.....about 15yrs ago..it's not for me.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 11:00 PM   #9
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I'd love to fly fish for something like bass or pike, that would be pretty sweet. What I don't like are the people who are dry fly purists who think that they are better than anyone else. I'd go with bass any day over a trout. I think that bass are more of an american fish, hard fighting and pretty rugged. But trout, they can only have clean water and they've got soft lips and you've got to be gentle with them... I dunno, maybe the national fish of France or something. ;D
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.