Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-25-05, 06:49 PM   #1
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983
Default lite lines

Many times I have read when the fish aren't biting use a smaller lb. test line. If this is because the fish can see a heavier line. Wouldn't it make sense to use floro? Unless the reason is for better action of the lure. If you do use a smaller weight line should you also downsize the bait. I ask the second question because I always hear a bigger bait gets you a bigger bass. Any opinions ?

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 07:23 PM   #2
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: lite lines

i fish a clear water lake-when it is clear- i use a light mono for my crank baits -8 pound- but 12 for every thing else. i have only had one bass see my line -it was braid- but caught the bass on mono.

some of my largest bass have been caught on a 4" worm.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 07:47 PM   #3
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

BassnBob, I don't buy that light line crap.I do beleive it works because the light line =light lure which makes you slow down while fishing.I think you need to concentrate on high percentage casts, and slower presentations, I think the strike zone is smaller on those days so you have to be more precise in fishing because the more active the bass, the wider strike zone . I don't downsize line , but I am not always correct. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 07:58 PM   #4
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I don't think that line visibility makes any difference. I've fished completely clear water with braided line, side-by-sde with someone that was fishing with mone. Same lure, same presentation, and we caught the exact same number of fish. I think under some conditions light lines do make sense when you are finnesse fishing and want a really slow, besides that I wouldn't use light lines.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 08:36 PM   #5
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY

smallest i go done to is 10lb xl I use this on a spinning rod 6.5' rod and 1 bait cast real 6.5" rod use it for small jigs and back up for missed fish ie rubber jerks senkos and tubes, and alson delicate t-rigs with small delicate worms. basicaly to get good acuate cast. I don't think it makes to much differance to the fish but it does make me feel better when i have good fish on and i don't have 6-8lb on my line. I have fished some pretty good braided with 6lb dia. didn't make any differance to the fish either.
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 09:42 PM   #6
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I don't have a clue if going to a lighter line catches more fish, but I think it's believed to work because it matches up better with lighter lures and allows more action.

As to downsizing baits, I would say it depends on the bait. You always want balanced tackle, which means using rod, reel, line and lure which work well together. You wouldn't want to go to 4# or 6# line with a Texas-rigged bait and a thick-wire hook where a strong hookset is required.

On the other hand, the light lines will work well with cranks that don't offer a lot of resistance or exposed-hook jigheads, to name a couple.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-05, 05:22 AM   #7
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

For the longest time I was not a believer in lite line bass fishing. I used heavy stuff, all of the time. This changed last year, when i started fishing 8lb test on a spinning reel behind two other people in the same boat. I did this because they were catching two fish to my one. The minute I switched I started catching 3 fish to their one. We were all throwing the same bait, same color, same everything. I don't particularly like it, but it works not doubt. When times get tough, downsize your bait, and line.
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-05, 11:02 AM   #8
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

IMHO, Fish can't see line. Size and color don't matter, and even if they could they're not smart enough to know what it is.

The reason lighter line catches more fish at times is because it has less water resistance so the bait works deeper, and allows for a more natural presentation.

And it's fun.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-05, 01:47 PM   #9
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

Consider this-I like to take a trip each year to a smallmouth creek that is about 125 miles from my home. I go there because I know I can catch up to 100 bass in a day. It is crystal clear.

This past summer I took my pal up there and he only used Power Pro yellow. I was using Yo Zuri Hybrid 4lb smoke. I caught the first 10 fish before he switched over to Hybrid because he couldn't get bit on the PP. I definately do think bass can see line. These fish are not too picky but to ignore his baits, the exact same ones I was throwing tells me they did see it.

I use a lot of 4,6 and 8lb Hybrid with 4 and 6 doing the light tackle duty. I also like Super Silver Thread (Cabela's) this is the ultimate thin diameter line that still retains its strength.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-05, 06:28 PM   #10
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

Thanks for the replies. I think this year I will experiment for myself. What would it hurt to take a spinning outfit and see on both good days and bad days if one or the other does better. One thing I forgot to ask what about stained water, has anyone downsized with good results? Would there be anything wrong with using braid in a very light diameter? Thanks again.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-05, 09:32 PM   #11
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY

As I have been on the quest to kick some tourney butt this year and I have been doing a lot of research on the many different issues faced by bass gods such as our selves.

from what I'v been hearing. and I don't know for my self due to if a lake in my area is stained I just go to differnt area or lake. but i'm not going to let that scare me off anymore.

from what I've been hearing is larger & darker baits is what i'm going to use. what I'm going to throw is something that is going to apeall to the reaction type of bites. like black & blue spinner or buzz baits. Why?? makes alot of noise and they can hear and find it.
stained H20 is hard to fish
something else i'm going to try is looking in the cover a little harder and a little slower. big darker t-rig lizard or brushhog with rattles attached if availble. somthing that is going to produce alot of vibs & reactionary type of bites..

allthough i'm preatty sure I'm not going to use rattles in the cold stained H20 due to what I'v been reading..

can't tell about large jigs & p-n-j just not impressed with them in my state.

hope it helps Dan
2canbass
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-05, 09:04 AM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassinbob link=board=news;num=1106689758;start=0#9 date=01/26/05 at 16:28:02]Thanks for the replies. I think this year I will experiment for myself. What would it hurt to take a spinning outfit and see on both good days and bad days if one or the other does better.[/quote]

Best suggestion I've heard yet, even though I believe the only reason the line makes any difference is it's diameter for falling purposes, and it's floatability. Of course it's just my OPINION.

Quote:
One thing I forgot to ask what about stained water, has anyone downsized with good results? Would there be anything wrong with using braid in a very light diameter? Thanks again.

Bob

I prefer noisier or more appendage type biats. As Dan states, fish have to rely more on sound/vibrations to catch their dinner, since visibility is cut down. So the more water resistance/moving baits the better. Darker colors always seem to work, but chartreuse is also a good color IMO. I really like a zipper style of bait with a large flat paddle tail, because of the movement the ribs and tails make. I also like green pumpkin, or of course a Black Lizard will work wonders here also ;D. I use Fireline in smoke color. I catch fish in both clear and stained water, and I fish a lot of what most people call finesse baits, ie weightless plastics. The thinner diameter lets the bait fall a little better, with more action, and of course I fish them in very heavy cover(anything you can imagine I'll throw it in there ). Since it's 20lb test, with 8lb dia, I'm more afraid of damaging my pole than I am of breaking my line :-*

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-05, 09:44 PM   #13
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I just read the Bassmaster article about the guy who fishes with Sting Ray grubs on the Potomac. For what it's worth, he claims you don't get more bites with the lighter lines, but that you feel them better because the smaller line is more sensitive. Take your choice, there's no shortage of theories.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-05, 12:15 PM   #14
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

I don't think it hurts!
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.