Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-14-08, 11:54 AM   #1
robertmee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default What's the best lake to live on in the US?

Just curious as to the opinions of the geographically diverse here...Our goal is to retire on lake front property someday. What are some good lakes in our country to consider? Things to consider:

Cost - Some lakes might as well be Beach front Malibu due to the command in prices

Water Level control - Don't want to be sitting on a mud puddle one year due to lack of rainfall

Convenience - Would be great to not be extremely rural and at least near some metropolitan area and an airport.

Climate - Lake's no good if you can only use it 3 months of the year.

We currently have property on Lake Gaston in Virginia and it meets three of the four. It's a bit rural for my liking, although it can be relaxing at times. But I travel for my job (I work out of home the rest of the time) and the hour+ drive to a major airport is a pain.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 11:59 AM   #2
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like where I am.

Small Lake with Trophy Fish

Cost is very cheap to live in LA (lower Arkansas)

Water level is as stable as it can be

Convience is in the eye of the beholder, for me rural is convienent im an hour or so away for a major city or Airport and thats how I like it

Climate is great for fishing, I only take off december and january

The best part about Arkansas, is it offers a very diverse fishery throughout the state. You can fish rivers, oxbows, huge lakes, smaller lakes/resivours, bayous, ponds. For everything from trout to bass its all here.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 12:25 PM   #3
MIbasser

Look at Torch Lake or Higgins Lake in Michigan. Lakefront will cost you about $10,000 a foot. Last I knew Torch was 3rd most beautiful lake in the world and Higgins was 6th. But have smallmouth and trout fishing. On a sunny days you can see about 20+' down. I've been going up to Higgins for 21 years now and can't wait to raise my daughter on the water there. (oh, the water is COLD!!! in May it's around 45 degrees)
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 12:36 PM   #4
Raul

Choke Canyon in TX.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 03:35 PM   #5
Rodman_Rob

some nice lakes in the Ocala National Forest, 20-30 minutes from town, one hour from the airport. Some have some depth so no need to worry about the mud puddle situation. And of course, we grow 'em big down here.
Old 10-14-08, 04:08 PM   #6
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Choke Canyon in TX.
Doesn't appear to allow lake front homes:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl
Old 10-14-08, 04:09 PM   #7
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Look at Torch Lake or Higgins Lake in Michigan. Lakefront will cost you about $10,000 a foot. Last I knew Torch was 3rd most beautiful lake in the world and Higgins was 6th. But have smallmouth and trout fishing. On a sunny days you can see about 20+' down. I've been going up to Higgins for 21 years now and can't wait to raise my daughter on the water there. (oh, the water is COLD!!! in May it's around 45 degrees)
A little too cold and alot too expensive. 100' of water frontage would cost me $1M.
Old 10-14-08, 04:11 PM   #8
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I like where I am.

Small Lake with Trophy Fish

Cost is very cheap to live in LA (lower Arkansas)

Water level is as stable as it can be

Convience is in the eye of the beholder, for me rural is convienent im an hour or so away for a major city or Airport and thats how I like it

Climate is great for fishing, I only take off december and january

The best part about Arkansas, is it offers a very diverse fishery throughout the state. You can fish rivers, oxbows, huge lakes, smaller lakes/resivours, bayous, ponds. For everything from trout to bass its all here.
I've actually had AK on my short list of states to consider. I've spent some time in LittleRock on business. The heat can be unbearable at times, but the area seems to be nice.
Old 10-14-08, 06:09 PM   #9
Nitro911
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Put me on Sam Rayburn, Choke, or Amistad. While none of them allow homes on the water, I can easily live across the street and drive a few blocks to the ramp. All are close to decent sized towns (the smallest would be Three Rivers, I guess). Of the three, Sam Rayburn would be the prettiest, as it is surrounded by the Big Thicket and National Forest.

And fortunately before I actually posted this, I looked and Rayburn does have some waterfront property available, so that makes it the only one that really meets all of your requirements.
Old 10-14-08, 06:58 PM   #10
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

without a doubt, it has to be lake guntersville, alabama. more B A S S tournys are held here ( i think) than anywhere else. wish i could stay here. i ain't "on" the lake, above it. i see it everyday i come home from work. gonna miss it when i move. IF we ever sell this place.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 07:07 PM   #11
INEED5BIGBASS
BassFishin.Com Member

For Small Mouth it has to be the same one as for us in Canada and thats Lake ERIE,it is the best Small mouth lake in the world
INEED5BIGBASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 10:54 PM   #12
Bender

Torch Lake is "take your breath away" gorgeous, but it is cold up there and $$$.
I kind of like where I am now since I can be on 20 lakes in 20 minutes and Erie or St. Clair in an hour and have a view of a lake from my house. Although I have been thinking a lot of living somewhere with a decent sized pond that is close to good lakes. This will save money on the property, bass boat is always on the trailer anyway, and you can still fish whenever you want.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 07:01 AM   #13
mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
without a doubt, it has to be lake guntersville, alabama. more B A S S tournys are held here ( i think) than anywhere else. wish i could stay here. i ain't "on" the lake, above it.
i couldnt agree anymore
Old 10-15-08, 09:17 AM   #14
Fish2win

I live on Norris in Tennessee and it is a great smallmouth lake. Dale would be better except for all the pleasure boats in the summer. Wheeler would be good for big smallies and low pleasure boat traffic. I hate jet skis and water ski or cruisers so bad that I may give up summer fishing. I only fish at night during the summer but it is getting to the point that you cant excape them even then. I like winter smallie fishing because I can go out on a week day, fish 6 or 8 hours and only see one or two other fishermen all day.I recommend any lake that has big bass, few people and lots of peace and quite.Saturday I was fishing down a bluff point when another boat pulled up about 50 yards above me. With the trolling motor on high he fished down to me ,around me and then cut me off the rest of the bank. Bad manners and even worse sportsmanship.
Fish2win

Last edited by Fish2win; 10-15-08 at 02:29 PM.
Fish2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 10:38 AM   #15
doc

In my opinion the best lake to live have waterfront on would be one not too many other people knew about. Find you some secluded off the grid super fishery that you share with locals who have summer camps there. A house on rayburn or guntersville would be great, but my heaven looks more like this

Out of the way, yet still close. Places like this are largely overlooked for more friendly waters.
Old 10-15-08, 10:44 AM   #16
Lilmoosecountry

I'm purty partial to truman lake in Warsaw MO.
Old 10-15-08, 10:45 AM   #17
lowrider

only thing is doc, you don't know how to catch fish in the cypress trees
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 10:52 AM   #18
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
only thing is doc, you don't know how to catch fish in the cypress trees
Mabye, but at least your not dodging tubers, and wakeboarders.
Old 10-15-08, 11:27 AM   #19
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro911 View Post
Put me on Sam Rayburn, Choke, or Amistad. While none of them allow homes on the water, I can easily live across the street and drive a few blocks to the ramp.
Exactly, you just live right across the street and get going. Itīs not exactly right at the water edge but pretty close.

Now, if I were to choose a town where to live I would choose where Iīve lived, MacAllen,TX ( itīs more like MacAllen/Mission/Pharr ) youīve got everything, itīs close to Choke, Amistad, Sugar Lake, Vicente Guerrero, El Cuhillo ( in Mexico ), itīs got airport on the US side and airport on the Mexican side ( Reynosa ), you got all the big chain stores plus some others ( my wife loves to go shopping to Mervinīs , she being from Cali was her prime shopping spot ), 2 Academy Sports stores, pretty close to South Padre Island but itīs still a town ( well it ainīt that much of a "town" anymore ), close to San Antonio ( BPS and Cabelaīs man ! ), you arenīt right where hurricanes land ( like Brownsville or Galveston ) so you donīt have to worry much about flooding; thereīs also good hunting.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 11:47 AM   #20
BassAddict

I think Kentucky Lake/Barkley Lake are awesome. I fished a FOM National tournament there in May of 2005 and stayed in a house on the lake (Sledds Creek) for the week. The fishing was fantastic! The view was gorgeous. Wasn't too rural (lake is huge so some places could be I guess). I told my wife I'd love to move out there some day!!!
Old 10-15-08, 12:08 PM   #21
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAddict View Post
I think Kentucky Lake/Barkley Lake are awesome. I fished a FOM National tournament there in May of 2005 and stayed in a house on the lake (Sledds Creek) for the week. The fishing was fantastic! The view was gorgeous. Wasn't too rural (lake is huge so some places could be I guess). I told my wife I'd love to move out there some day!!!
Those do look like nice lakes. But it seems like they are as far away from any metro area that you can be. Equidistant from Louisville, Nashville, Memphis and St. Louis. Is there an airport nearby?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.