Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-05, 08:17 PM   #1

Default turning heads @ tourney's

so I fish some smaller tourney's and club stuff. and try to hit all the opens. but i still manage to never get in the money. yes i catch fish but never seam to get the kicker fish always needed. what am i doing wrong. how come it seams to always be the same people in the money...HELP!!!!
Old 01-17-05, 08:22 PM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: turning heads @ tourney's

One word. Dynamite....
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-05, 08:41 PM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Naw, WTL, then he would be assessed a penalty for dead fish ;D.

Dan, just from the general info you gave you might try a bigger bait in a little deeper water, like a deep running crankbait or a big jig.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-05, 08:41 PM   #4
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

The same people are always in the money because they're just that darn good and they're very consistant. Spend more time on water and just try to get better. If is only a few ounces seperating you and the leaders ost of the time, try something different. If you've already caught a good limit, try to do something that you think will give you a shot at catching one or two big bass.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-05, 08:55 PM   #5
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Dynamite no good?

Well how about this....now don't let this get out...because this is the best secret I know....

This is how you are gonna catch the big fish.
You know, when I was a kid, I did this amazing thing. I went out on a fishing trip; me and my brothers and my Pop, and no one could catch a fish except me. And this was my secret: Every time I would put the line down I would say a "Hail Mary" and every time I said a "Hail Mary" I would catch a fish.

Thats it. Thats the secret that all those guys know. Good luck!
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-05, 11:24 PM   #6
bassguy2004

Those guys that do so well, have probably spent alot of time on the water. Just getting to know a lake is half the battle.
Old 01-17-05, 11:29 PM   #7
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

Try flippin and pitchin a 3/8 to 1/2 ounce jig with a nice plastic chunk trailer.Natural colors for clear water and black with purple or blue for stained. Jigs seem to catch larger fish than crank baits,spinner baits and soft plastics......Try it and let us know.

flippin4it
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 02:03 AM   #8
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

How is your preparation for the tourney? Do you research the lake find map's good points and locations.?
are you matching the right bait for the right water.?
Are you going in mentaly prepared.?

Often when you go in to a tourney and your mind set is already against you, and have lost already. You got to go in positive and think your going to win.

Whith all these things, planing,studying,researching, and getting a game plan in your head will help you out considerably, and always have a back up plan if things go for a s*#T.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 11:03 AM   #9
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

in most cases the people winning are doing so because they have been fishing for a few years and have learned well.they know how to find the fish AND catch them.very seldom will you see someone who has only been bass fishing for a couple of years consistently finish in the money.of course there are exceptions.some people just have a natural talent(i have seen this,although i am not among them)and can get fish in very tough conditions.
it boils down to learning well and paying your dues.
if you have been fishing only a short while(maybe less than 3 yrs)chances are you don't stand a chance against the more experienced anglers.
IMO only in 3 years any bass angler paying any attention will have fished and learned how to fish in any weather or situation.(there are always exceptions to this).
i purposely go out in some of the worst weather conditions possible,just to test my abilities.
another really important thing is to develope your concentration skills or you can forget about ever being competitive.still another thing is COURTESY for your fellow anglers.you can garner much helpful information from other anglers just by being a good guy.
you didn't say how long you have been fishing for bass,but i'll take a guess that it's not been 3+yrs.
fish,fish,fish and learn,learn,learn.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 11:21 AM   #10
bassman602
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassman602

OK< OK< The SECRET is out! Remember 2 words.

TIKI STICK

Tie one on and catch fish. FACT!!! Nothing like it!!!!!!!
bassman602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 12:40 PM   #11
ploop...BOOM
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ploop...BOOM

Dan -
A lot of good points brought up, but I think Robby hit the nail on the head. From your post I can tell you that you are not going to win the next tournament either. Club tournaments and small opens are a learning experience - that's how you need to look at them. Hopefully you are in a club that is willing to share knowledge/techniques. Time on the water and research are the other two factors that are going to improve your "fish catching abilities." Jigs and big cranks historically catch bigger fish - ON SOME WATERS. Key word being "on some waters." In the waters I fish, I can't catch a fish on a jig. It all depends on your water. . . . . Take a deep breath, do your research and put your time in. Fishing is to be fun - tournaments add a new angle to the pleasure of fishing. Club tournaments or small opens don't regulate whether or not your family will have food on the table next week - have fun, you'll catch 'em - just be patient.
-Bob
ploop...BOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 01:50 PM   #12
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks fisherman!

I thought I might be crazy! great minds think a like!

Robby.
Old 01-18-05, 01:51 PM   #13
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

Dan, good question. I've been competing for about 7yrs and have been fishing for bass over 22yrs. When I first started fishing tournaments I made a decision to approach them from an angle that nobody else did.

My first choice was to use baits that no other angler used out on the water for competition. This meant a couple of things to me. First, I would either have to search around for undiscovered baits or make them myself. I decided to make them. Next I did something that most guys wouldn't, I relied on light tackle with lines testing no more than 6lbs for my first couple of seasons.

I did this for 1 reason and that was to get more bites. It has worked well for me. Most guys shy away from lighter gear but it is my best advice for going out and catching a limit. I've fished 40 events in the past 3 seasons and brought in a limit in all of them. The lighter gear is key for consistency. Don't get me wrong, I love to pitch 3/8oz and 1/2oz jigs all day but adding the lighter stuff to my repertoire was a huge advantage. I had days where I caught or culled 30 bass and second place weighed in 1 fish. It makes a difference. The problem is that most guys can't get past the sissy tackle stigma that anglers put on light tackle.

If you think about it, whenever a tough situation occurs, what do guys use to cash in? What do the pro's use when the fronts roll through? Light tackle! Why not try to use it under favorable conditions as well. I looked at this in this way and ran with it. It certainly has been a main reason why I've done so well. It's put me in the money in almost every event I've fished. But don't tell the guys in my club!
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 03:02 PM   #14
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Practice, practice, practice. Â*That's the key. Â*And when I say practice I don't mean prefishing the lake the tournament is on. I mean just go fishing. Anywhere, anytime you can.

Get your butt out on the water, and don't think about "winning". Â*I was never concerned about "winning" a tournament. Â*What I wanted to do was to "point" 'em to death. Â*Every week tournament I fished, I'd bring in a limit of fish. Â*At the end of the year I was the one standing up at the top of the standings.

(Three Angler of the year awards, six second place awards, one third, one fourth in eleven years in my club.)

Along the way I won more than my share of club tournaments by not worrying about winning. Â*Just get 5 in the boat. Â*Once you get over that hump and win your first one, you'll find the others come easier. Â*Winning breds winning. Â*You see it in every sport. Â*

One other piece of advice. Â*Forget you have a gasoline engine on your boat. Â*Find a spot and commit to it until you KNOW the fish aren't there. Â*You'll catch a lot more fish with a bait in the water. Â*Go back and study the history of pro tournaments and see how many are won by guys who staked out a place and stayed there.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 03:13 PM   #15
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to danrw84

When you find the solution to this problem, call Indianapolis and tell the Colts! Seems they can't find the secret to being in the money either! >

Still bitter about Sunday....
danrw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 12:15 AM   #16
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY

Robby, Bob, earthworm77,cajunbass
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*THANKS!!!great info!!!!

you guy's nailed it on the head
yes your are right on the money!! 3rd year trying tourney's
tell a little of how i fish. Â*standard "rocky" man made lakes, all filled from the snake river power plant dams. Â*5 lakes I genarally fish one lake in paticular I fished with grandpa for 20+ years. problem is geting ride of the small fish to get into the big ones. Â*

yes mentaly I start out pretty good but start to panic at around 1035am Â*i'm probably one of the slowest boats 35- 40 mp but i don't care about that I've got my *ss kicked by a guy in a tin tub not afraid to admit to it either!
i Love t-rig flipping worms, brushhogs, tubes, and ill c-rig just about anything. "lizards 6'' and 4"
seems like run into something hot and bass get onto it or change. Â*rubber jerks, senko's are classic examples. but i still catch fish with them
sorry tiki's just doesn't happen here Â*
had good time and learned alot last couple of years about spinner and buzz baits and drop shot !!!
some stuff trying differnt this year Â*floating worms & upgrading my crank selection. working onÂ*spider jigs with football heads. Â*And God as my witness paying closer atention to weather patterns & h2o clearity & match the bottom as much as i can
bait fish in the area are craw's of course, bluegill, pearch, crappie, and bass I will probable stick to those colors and types and bring firetiger as well. I'm looking at wood (rapala DT) for stop and go. Â*mostly due to price and bait fish selection. Â*have some but not inpressed with plastic cranks and I don't know were to start on suspending cranks and jerk baits Â* Â*

what do ya guys think

Thanks again for the positve feed back
DAN
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 10:01 AM   #17
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Dan;

Where do you like to fish in this lake? What's there what do you have to work with in the lake? Do you have fish finding equipment? do you know the drop off points in the lake? ect... even if you had a map of the lake we could help you out more if you needed it. Hell I can't fish till April I would help you out!

Maybe you think you might be in the right areas but you might be at the wrong times! you might have to get your self a routine going like morning till afternoon you will have to know what the bass will be doing in between, following bait fish, moving to shallow water,warmer water, to cover ,down wind, up wind ect...

These are some things you can work on to fing the big ones.

Robby. P.S hope this might help.
Old 01-19-05, 10:02 AM   #18
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

10 Ways To Land Bigger Bass

Bank runners. Dinks. Squealers. No matter what you call them, they're undersized bass that always seem to latch onto your lure. Some lakes are thick with these immature fish, making daily catches of 10 or 25 tiny bass a common occurrence. Although they're fun to catch, "dinks" can demoralize the angler in search of a lunker. For in bass fishing, many believe it's quality, not quantity that counts. Most weekend anglers would rather catch one big bass than a bunch of small ones. What steps can you take to increase your odds of boating a trophy? Don't count on luck; it has little to do with catching lunkers. Instead, use a game plan, one that will significantly increase your chances. The following are tips and tactics from several big bass experts that can move you into a bigger class of fish.

1. Target Shallow Water: Florida's Doug Hannon spends his time researching and fishing for big bass. Over the years, he's caught 500 bass exceeding 10 pounds, most of which were from shallow water. The well known expert says when he first began hunting giant bass in Florida in the 1960s, he verified catches of bass 16 pounds and over by interviewing anglers. Ninety percent of these giant fish came from 3 feet of water or less. Hannon insists the bass, as a species, is a shallow water predator: "It's shape, coloration and physical features dictate that it will most efficient in shallow water. It's logical to assume the biggest fish will play closest to this 'rule,' because bass survive and grow large by following, not breaking , the rules." One major exception: Recently, giant bass have been caught at great depths in the water reservoirs of Southern California. "Here, the bass and their preferred forage - trout - have both been transplanted," Hannon adds. "But in most lakes nationwide, the biggest bass will be shallow."

2.Avoid Concentrations Of Small Bass: It can be fun catching a squealer on every cast, but it won't put you on the path of a lunker, says fishing pro Charlie Ingram. "Small bass are distracting," he say. When you're getting hit after hit, it's awfully hard to crank up and leave that area, but often that's exactly what you must do if you're after a big fish. Ingram, like Hannon, targets shallow water, but says not all shallow areas hold quality fish. This becomes "painfully evident" in a tournament when he catches 100 bass a day but has little weight to show for it. Ingram has discovered big bass prefer large, shallow flats with plenty of cover and an ample supply of baitfish. "Flats provide the basic needs of bass - food, cover and a place to spawn. For big bass, abundant forage is a major key. These fish won't move far for a meal. Look for schools of baitfish on the surface and use a spinnerbait.

Old 01-19-05, 10:03 AM   #19
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

3. Use Big Lures In Murky Water: Bass fishing legend Bill Dance proved that an amazing number of lunker bass can caught in water that looks muddy enough to plow. During a four hour period on a Tennessee river that was rolling brown with mud, Dance and his partner caught more than 100 pounds of largemouth and smallmouth bass. Most of them weighed 3 to 7 pounds each. The key was Dance's insistence on using big lures. "The finesse fishing craze has taken attention from big artificial lures," he says. "But where visibility is restricted, big lures are the ticket to success." Dance believes bass need all the help you can give them in finding your lure in murky water. "A small lure will hurt you here," he says. "The bass will never see it." Dance likes big, beefy artificials, especially spinnerbaits, fat crankbaits and oversized jig-n-pigs. He fishes thee tight to cover, mostly when current is present. He says his biggest surprise is how lunker smallmouth nail these big lures. He catches bronzebacks as heavy as 9 pounds in murky water while using the biggest lures in his tackle box. Even with moderate water visibility, Dance chooses bigger lures. "If you see 10 peanuts and one cashew laying on the tabletop, you'd reach for the biggest nut first," he reasons. It's the same with big bass. They're greedy. Why use a lure that's the same size as the bass's domain? Give it the chance at a real meal.

4. Fish High-Light Periods In Clear Water: Hannon catches many of his biggest bass from Florida's super clear lakes and rivers. Surprisingly, most of these are taken not at dawn or dusk, but "smack in the middle of the day." "Bass are primarily sight feeders," he says. "In clear water, this sense is utilized to the utmost. Visibility is highest in the middle of the day, and big bass feed at this time to take advantage of their full capabilities as predators." Hannon disagrees with the myth that the sun's rays cause discomfort to bass. Although many bass professionals believe this, it's simply not the case, he says. "The bass is a member of the sunfish family. It's also a predator, however, and all predators seek to conceal their presence from their prey. So when a bass hides in weeds or brush, it does so to escape detection, not to escape the sun's rays." Lure choice becomes critical when fishing clear water during high-light periods. Hannon relies on only the most realistic artificials, especially silvery minnow lures. As an alternative, live bait can be fished with great success. "Shiner fishermen often catch their biggest bass in the middle of the day, because that's when the fish can easily see that the offering is real food, not an imitation," Hannon says.

5. Target Offshore Weedbeds: In many natural lakes and some reservoirs, the biggest bass may never move to the shoreline. Offshore clumps of hydrilla, milfoil or native aquatic grasses can provide an abundant food supply as well as a safe haven from angling pressure. "The natural tendency is to cast to the shoreline," Ingram says, "but in a pressures lake, this will quickly deplete the better bass in the area. Few anglers ever fish offshore." "Offshore" may not necessarily mean "deep water," Ingram notes. The best offshore situation for big bass might be a submerged hill that rises within 4 feet of the surface. On a hump like this, solar penetration is adequate to induce thick weed growth. Big bass gravitate to such areas during the spawning season, where they deposit their eggs in holes between the weed clumps. Sometimes, the biggest bass in the lake return to these spots year after year. For this reason, Ingram urges anglers to treat these offshore gold mines with respect. "If you pull all the fish off a spot like this, they won't be back next year." Ingram will fish a variety of lures around shallow offshore weedbeds including spinnerbaits, jigs, plastic worms and crayfish imitators such as spider jigs. He'll also try a topwater plug like the Rebel Pop-R.
Old 01-19-05, 10:04 AM   #20
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

6. Learn To Pitch: Tennessee outdoor writer and river fishing expert Joe Montelenoe catches lunker bass from water you could spit across. His secret is pitching, a presentation also favored by many tournament pros. Monteleone says pitching allows you to place a lure, usually a jig or plastic worm, into the fish's lair with the utmost stealth. This alone can move you into "a better class of fish." Monteleone believes over time big bass learn to avoid lures that create a lot of commotion. "Most lures, whether it's a rattling crankbait or a plastic worm, will make noise when it smacks the water if it's cast with an overhand or sidearm presentation," he says. "Big bass look for mistakes. They're super-cautious about what they eat. If even a realistic looking lure makes too much noise entering the water, it will spook them." Squealers, on the other hand, are attracted to noise, he adds. They'll literally strike anything that moves, which is why you can catch a 6 inch bass on a topwater lure "as big as a cigar." If they're fortunate enough to live through the experience, they won't be so quick next time about striking anything but the most realistic presentation. Monteleone taught himself to pitch in his backyard. He doesn't advise to learn during a tournament or when one is excited about being on the water. "I learned sheerly by trial and error," he says. To practice in the back yard, you'll need a rubber practice plug, a small bowl and a baitcaster rod and reel (pitching is possible with spinning or spincasting, but preferred with baitcasting because of the reel's revolving spool). Reduce the spool tension to a minimum setting and press the spool release button or thumb bar. Then, let out a length of line that matches the rod length. With the rod in your casting hand and practice plug in the other, release the rubber weight while swinging the rod tip toward the target. Keep the thumb in constant contact with the spool to prevent backlash. Lifting the rod tip toward the end of the motion adds distance to the pitch. Try pitching the weight into the bowl. If the plug lands into the bowl but bounces out, the pitch may be too flat or too high. Remember, this style of presentation is effective because it quietly places the lure where timid bass may be hiding, so work for a smooth, even motion to get the most for your effort. Monteleone demonstrates the technique at outdoor shows throughout the South. In many situations, he says, it's the single most important factor for increasing your chances at a trophy.

7. Target The Northwest Shore In Spring: Hannon catches many of his biggest bass in the spring, but he admits it can be a tenuous time for fish. "It seems every time you go to the lake in the spring, there's a front passing through," he says. "Cold north winds can chill the water and make a good presentation tough, shutting down the bite." He says the northwest section of the lake is the place to be in the spring. "The cold north winds blow over the top of this area and hit with greatest severity on the opposite shore. That helps keep water warmer in this key part of the lake, often five degrees warmer than elsewhere. In the spring, five degrees can spell the difference between inactive and active fish." The angle of the sun provides more sunlight and less shade on the northern shore, Hannon notes. This, combined with warmer water, leads to richer (and earlier) plant growth than in other sections of the lake. And the more plant growth you have, the more oxygen. The northwest section then becomes a haven for all sorts of life forms, including bass. "It's the first place I'll test in early spring." he says.

8. Read The Bait: Silver Spring, Md., bass guide and 1991 Big Bass World Championship state qualifier Jay Holt finds one group of bass may contain both squealers and lunkers. The key to catching the big ones, he says, is reading the schools of baitfish. "Smaller bass will usually be holding tighter to the bait, hanging on the school like a puppy chasing a ball around the room. The bigger bass won't expend nearly as much energy in their feeding. They'll be on the move 90 percent less than smaller fish." Fishing tidal waters and rivers extensively, Holt invariably comes across bigger bass holding tightly to cover, or in a current eddy. He says the tactic he uses to connect to bigger fish is to watch the direction baitfish are moving, then cast downstream from the spot with the most feeding activity. In current, injured baitfish lose their equilibrium and will drift around current breaks and into eddies, where big bass are hiding. It's as though the big fish anticipate this movement of injured bait into their lairs, and "just sit and wait for it to happen." A presentation that appeals to waiting bass in tidal water is a lure with a slow, tantalizing descent, Holy says. "I'll use a jig-n-pig, a 5 inch grub or a soft plastic jerk bait with some weight on it. I want to achieve the slowest fall possible without losing control of the lure in current."
Old 01-19-05, 10:04 AM   #21
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

9. Fish By The Moon: Hannon says a major step for him as a big bass angler was to realize the importance of the moon on fishing success. He correlated state and world record bass catches, and catches of giant bass entered in magazine competitions, against a lunar calendar. the results were astounding, most of the giant bass have been caught within three or four days of a dark or full moon. And the few not caught then seem to cluster halfway between the two moons. This knowledge had its impact. "I spend most of my fishing time around the new and full moons," he says. But he cautions: "You can't always get away to fish during these prime periods, so consult a solunar table to determine the best fishing period on the day you'll be on the water. Then, plan your day so you're on the place with the most lunker potential at the right time."

10. Encourage Good Conservation Practices: The water that gives up only squealers may hold few lunkers. The problem is often poor conservation practices. All the best big bass anglers I know faithfully release their catch, yes, even the lunkers. They know the lake's big fish represent its future. Don't practice bed fishing, for it invariably leads to a severe shortage of big fish. Handle all caught bass with extreme care. Also, when you share the boat with a buddy, help him understand the importance of such practices. You can make a difference between catching only squealers, and the bass of a lifetime.

A Little Something Extra: Lure Profile And Big Bass - Why do some artificial baits do a better job of catching big bass when others fail? Doug Hannon believes a major reason lies in the lure's profile. "Bass learn to recognize a long, slender shape as generally being safe to eat." he says. "Baitfish with soft fins, such as shiners, shad and many creed minnows, have this slender profile. Other forage that meet this criteria are eels, small watersnakes and various salamanders, all of which are big bass favorites." Eating spiny rayed species such as bluegills can be dangerous to a bass, Hannon says. If the spiny fins get stuck in the throat, the prey may be difficult or impossible to swallow. Once this happens, a bass probably learns not to eat anything with that short, squatty profile, Hannon believes. For this reason, most of the giant bass (those more than 15 pounds) are taken on slender lures, when live bait was not involved. "Plastic worms and slender minnow imitators have caught some of the biggest bass in the record books," Hannon says. Admittedly, your chances of catching a 15 pounder may be slim, but you can increase the average size of the bass you catch by relying heavily on slender artificial baits, according to Hannon. Besides worms and minnow lures, he recommends soft plastic stickbaits such as the Slug Go, elongated topwater plugs like the Zara Spook and slander crankbaits like the Rebel Spoonbill.

robby.
Old 01-19-05, 01:03 PM   #22
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

Robzilla, nice job. I think thatHannons numbers are now closer to 1000 over 10lbs. I remember reading the 500 thing when I was younger back some 10 or 15 years ago.

Again my advice is to stray from the pack, be versatile and open minded. Too many guys are not and their performances are just mediocre because of it.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 06:20 PM   #23
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

Rob and EW, good advice. Here's a few variations of their themes or examples.

As EW said, go light for a light bite. Eight pound Power Pro is only 2 # diameter, but super sensitive. Instead of chucking 6" Senkos, go with 4 1/4" or 5 1/4' Texas rigged with no weight. Drop shotting a 3-4" soft plastic worm, lizard or fluke, is still capable of catching large fish as much as a 1/2 oz. jig and pig. In fact, many of the reservoir dogs in N.Y.S. have outstanding days using Â*EW's smaller jigs and trailers.

Grubs are good search baits for open water and flats. They include Fin S Fish, the Zoom Fluke, some swimbaits and shads, Slider worms and rigs, double tails, Crawtubes and tubes. If you're not on bottom, your swimming the lure, where variations in retrieve can make all the difference.

Time is of the essence and when all else fails, you need to go for the reaction strike with machine gun-like casting of fast baits with noise, flash and in-your-face-profiles. You want to cover more water with more casts and bang the bottoms with medium-to-deep divers such as Excalibur Fat Free Shad and Bomber cranks. Â*To do this you have to rely on lake maps, sonar and visual structure as well as remembering good spots from experience. Casting to higher potential areas saves time.

Casting lighter plastics over more territory, requires a Carolina rig, especially in deeper water. Heavier tubes are also great search baits for depths of 5'-20'.

Rob brought up a good point - find bait fish, find sport fish. Take along a light set up and cast small grubs just to see what's in the top 3' of water - anywhere. If small fish are present, go deeper with the bigger guns.

Are you the boater or boatee? If not the former, don't ever rely on the boater to always know where the fish are or to fish areas conducive to your best styles of fishing. You are not just along for the ride and have half the trolling motor and can dictate where the boat runs to, half the time.

Rob brought up another good point about shallow water. At one point in the day, the shallows hold active fish. Shallow is relative to the water fished. In a shallow lake of no more than 12', shallow is 3'; in a large reservoir, shallow could be 15' grass beds or point ledges. Know what's down there and work it, sometimes slow and methodical, sometimes noisy and faster. If the only thing that works is to pester them into biting, so be it, because reaction strikes aren't always the norm.

Rec fishing is different than Tx fishing - it's a competition for the best spots and the most or larger fish. Sometimes a limit of medium fish is all it takes, but never stop going for the kicker(s).

Sam
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 01:54 AM   #24
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY

grat stuff guy's keep it comeing!!
THANK YOU!! good info rodzilla, earthworm,senkosam
you want to know more
I like to fish on the inside edge of any point! Â*I will genaeraly look for any shade of those points after the moring bite stops. only one lake has some good cover to fish in thicks. what is a good time to fish those thicks? Â*
For the most part all steep rocky cliffs, bluffs, and drop offs, Â*if the fish bunch up! good they are usually 5-15 deep smalley's any way's.
Yes know i should be more tollerant of the outside tips of those points. Â*but i feel distracted with wind, waves, trolling motors and other crap. Â*
there isn't any other water inlets besides the main river no creeks pretty much after the snow melts off...

the water level can run from full to any were of up to 50' low but the the drop is usually subtil and can take to end of september to get there

when i'm looking to find the big boy's i'll try my hardest to find what ever might be different in the area i'm fishing usually it might be larger bolder or sumereged cover if i can find it in the depth finder.
i'f ya got topo usa or some other favorate maping system i could give ya directions Â*idaho/oregon boarder brownlee resavior to hells canyon dam..

i appreciate the attention you guy's have given this. Â*you guy's know how to make a newbe feel welcome

thanks Dan
Â* Â* Â*
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 07:44 AM   #25
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Thnis might seem crazy but hey I'm Canadian!

Try moving to deeper water and try drift fishing down the point or find the drop of and just follow down the edge. drift with the wind let it push you down the drop off run parallel with it. look for the bigger fish 15 to 25 feet down, keep a good presentation cranking or jigging will hepl you out.

I do alot of rec diving in summer and from what I've seen under water is the larger bass tend to hang back in deeper water to get away faster that's why they live to get soo big!

So once you find the group of smallies move to the edges if you can find it and youll find you big fishes.

Hope this helps.

Robby.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.