Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-20-03, 08:48 AM   #1
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd
Default Questions

I get the impression since I've been on this board that a lot of the people who post here are inexperienced fishermen, who really want to learn, but don't understand some of the basics that old coots like me tend to take for granted.

I see things like "the best lure".."the best worm"..topwaters don't catch fish, etc. Â*We've all seen those comments.

First you have to understand: Â*There ain't no magic bait. Â*A lure is a tool. Â*That's all. Â*Just like a hammer to a carpenter, or a wrench to an auto mechanic, it's just a tool designed to do a certain job. Â*Just as a carpenter could shorten a piece of wood with a hammer, a saw is a better choice. Â*It's faster and does a neater job with less work.

So what does that have to do with fishing? Â*You need to use the right tool for the job you want to do. Â*First you have to ask yourself Â*"What job do I want to do?" Â*What tools do I have to use to do that job?"

Now you might think "I want to catch a fish", but that's not the first thing. Â*The first thing is to FIND a fish. Â*Then you can worry about catching him. Â*

So. Â*How do we find a fish? Â*The best way is to put a lure in the water, start fishing. Â*So. Â*What lure do we use?

Lures can be loosly defined as "search baits" and as "catch baits". Â*Search baits are those that can be used quikly to cover a lot of water, and hopefully draw a strike from an agressive fish. Â*Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, and topwaters fall into that catagory. Â*If you're really lucky, that's all you'll need. Â*We've had those days when every fish in the lake wanted to pounce on a spinnerbait so bad you have to hide it behind your back to tie it on.

For those times when fish aren't as agressive, which actually is most of the time, you use the slower moving baits such as plastic worms, jigs, grubs, tubes, etc.

I don't want to get too long winded here. Â*I could write a magazine article, or a book on this subject but basically when you start off you want to use a bait that covers a lot of water quickly. Â*When you catch a fish say on a spinnerbait, keep fishing that bait for a few minutes. Â*If you don't catch anymore on that then go to a slower moving bait, say a plastic worm or a jig. Â*Maybe a lure that runs deeper, say a crankbait.

Out of all the factors that come into play for lure selection the most important is depth. Â*How deep are they? Â*Not what color, but what depth. Â*You can throw the "right" color all day, but if you don't get it to the right depth, no fish is going to see it. Â*On the other hand if you get the "wrong" color to the right depth, you're in the game.

So what depth are the fish? Â*They're either on the top, on the bottom or in the middle. Â*That sounds simple doesn't it? Â*<lol> Â*When I first read where Buck Perry had said that I thought "No Sh.. Sherlock". Â*Now I realize what he meant was you try all depths until the fish tell you just how deep they are.

I guess I've bored everyone long enough with this, so I'll let it go for now. Â*
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-03, 11:25 AM   #2
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181
Default Re: Questions

Good post Cajun!!! Thanks....
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-04, 10:12 AM   #3
spinnerb8

I happened to find this one back in the archives(before this place was invaded by CHILDREN)..it would do you kids well to read this post.made sense then,still does now.Good one Cajun 8)
Old 11-07-04, 01:32 PM   #4
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Hey Spinnerbait8,

Keep a copy of this report. In 6 mos. you'll have new people trying to learn it all from this site.
Then you can repost.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-04, 06:03 AM   #5
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

What makes a good website or a good forum I should say. Is the variety of questions and comments that come from a variety of people. I enjoy hearing questions and comments from everyone as long as they are legitimate questions. Hey, I have been actively bass fishing for 20 some odd years now, and I still don't know half of what there is to learn. I think cajun's post was a good post and informative. I also think that the younger generation is the generation to educate. Also, like I was always told in grade school, there is no such thing as a stupid question. Good fishing.
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-04, 05:33 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=CajunBass link=board=news;num=1058701719;start=0#0 date=07/20/03 at 07:48:39] If you're really lucky, that's all you'll need. We've had those days when every fish in the lake wanted to pounce on a spinnerbait so bad you have to hide it behind your back to tie it on.

[/quote]

I was smiling from ear to ear reading that ;D I would be more than happy for you to take me to that fishing hole I'll even pay ya for the opportunity. ;D I haven't ever had quite that good of a day fishing.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-04, 07:14 PM   #7
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

cajun
so what you are saying is you stole a zook n stein?
i want that back

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-04, 07:39 PM   #8
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

A what?
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-04, 02:42 PM   #9
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

[quote author=CajunBass link=board=news;num=1058701719;start=0#7 date=11/09/04 at 17:39:12]A what?[/quote]
O NO, plz dont get this started.....
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-04, 06:24 PM   #10
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

I think one of the coolest things about fishing artificials is discovering that certain artificials work! My first artificial was a lead tail spinner made by Bagley, called the Submarine Shad, which caught a bunch of bass the first time I used it back in the early 70's. The lake was lowered to work on the dam and the fish were trapped in a large pool, so I had an captive audience.

I never caught a bass in N.Y. on them, so I tried the Big O, but also with no success. After reading many articles about crankbaits and soft plastics, it didn't register that certain baits have certain limitations (what Cajun said) and I didn't realize that the articles about brand X crank or in-line X were 90% hype and 10% how-to and under what conditions. You could have swore that these wonder lures would have caught fish in your backyard, the way they were written up!

Finally in 1977, I visited a small tackleshop to see what kind of tackle it had. The shop owner had some loose Mr. Twister yellow 4" grubs and pearl yellow jigheads, rigged a few and told me to try them in my local smallie river, over shallow rockie areas. The river had seen very few artificials and mostly live bait, so I didn't expect much. The smallies jumped all over the grub.

I went back, bought packs of yellow grubs and jigs and asked him about the 6" plastic worms on the rack next to the grubs. He gave me a few with slip sinkers, showed me the Texas rig and told me how and where to fish them. In that same river, I caught about 15 rock bass next to a boulder and I was hooked on plastic worms.

Jigs and spinnerbaits were a ways off, but Rapala was written about as the best and only sim of a dying minnow. I tried one on those smallies and bang!, my first topowater hit, but still had no faith in poppers or Tiny Torpedos.

As time goes on and you read more and more about various lures, you thirst for more knowledge on how to make them work, but not where, in your local waters. The nicest thing about fishing clubs is to see first hand what catches fish, where and how. You don't have the gaps in belief that you have fishing alone or with a live-baiter.

Homer Circle's underwater series with Glen Lau was very revealing. They showed all classes of lures being clobbered by large bass in the wild and seeing is believing, just as catching is believeing. Reading about something and making it work is one thing; realizing that what Cajun said about no lure being universal under all conditions and in all waters, is another.

Certain lures I've read about and tried, I'll probably never catch fish on where I fish, (Mud Bug crankbait being one, the 6" StikO being another), but I have a large lure assortment that covers the depths I fish and in different types of cover. Knowing what to use, where Â*and when is far more important than just knowing what to use.

Sam
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-04, 11:31 AM   #11
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

good post sam.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-04, 12:57 PM   #12
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

what do ya mean ya can't catch fish on mud bug? maybe you are just not throwing it at the right structure.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-04, 06:15 PM   #13
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Very nice cajun and sam the followup was as good. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-04, 07:44 PM   #14
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

Thanks.

Seeing is believing when it comes to fishing varoious lures, old or new. I didn't believe that Senkos were that special until I tried one three years after they hit the shelves. I was used to Mr. Twister, Culprit and other vertical fall plastic and no way could understand how a Senko could outfish most other styles, on certain days.

My local tackle store owner told me of the unique action that was unique only to Senkos (until copies came out), which I thought was a sales pitch. Finally I was able to see one fall, wacky rigged, and then I understood. I fished it once and fish weren't releasing the bait, but swimming a distance with them in their mouths.

The same for jg & pig. If I hadn't seen my tournament partner tear up some shorts on them, I would have never believed a jig with a skirt or a spinnerbait would get a bite.

You have to get confidence in a lure in order to put that lure to good use. Once that roadblock is out of the way, there are many sources (like people on this site), that can tell you their experiences relating to where and how you fish it. A member in my club still doesn't believe that he can catch fish with a popper, yet he's pretty versatile when it comes to many other lure types.

Sam
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.