Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-28-06, 08:27 AM   #1
Crazykidd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Crazykidd
Question Trailer bearings

Yesterday On the way to the lake, I noticed grease being thrown out of 2 bearing buddy on the same axel. On the way back home I kept an aye on it and then I notced the grease turned my diecast rim gold. I felt the hub it was a little hotter then tire in front of it. Does this mean my bearings are bad? Also is there a way to get rid of the gold tint on the rims???????
Crazykidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 11:33 AM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I put bearing buddies on this year with new bearings and seals. They pushed the grease right past the new seals and sprayed it all over the inside of the rims. I am takeing them off this winter and going back to regular dust caps. I have heard of this problem from others as well.
Your problem sounds more serious though if the grease came out through the bearing buddy itself. It does sound like a bearing is bad to me, I would take it apart and check it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 12:56 PM   #3
Crazykidd

Thanks, Now I heard if the rims changed colors mean the rims could be warped
Old 08-28-06, 05:22 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

no heat will discolor them.. some good grease cleaner and a LOT of elbow grease.. i dout they are warped..i have over heated a few brakes and wheels in my time. enough to warp a spindel rim stayed ok though VERY HOT and lugs were glowing..

zooker
Old 08-29-06, 07:35 AM   #5
Crazykidd

I know they were not glowing. I'm taking them in today to a dealer to have them looked at and fixed. Thanks for your help
Old 08-29-06, 01:29 PM   #6
Crazykidd

So I just heard from the mechanic he said my brakes were engaged. For the whole trip. But they were not engaged to make a difference on the pull. What could cause this? It has the electrical surge breaks. How would I be able to tell if the wiring is crossed??????
Old 08-29-06, 04:43 PM   #7
lizardsrule

When I installed Bearing buddies(actually the new axle had them installed on them) the mechanic told me the #1 problem with them, is folks filling them too much. You don't need to fill them every week, and as soon as you see the spring move the slightest bit stop putting grease in them. I have greased them once since then(approx 6 months). If you pump to much in them, they will blow out the inner seal. I prefer not to have to take everything apart to grease my bearings, but if you don't like them, do what makes you happy.

As for you brakes being engaged, is this a new boat for you? Or did you rewire anything including, install a new plug recently? Wiring issues would be my first guess, but trailer brakes will stick sometimes, your mechanic should hopefully be able to tell you better than I can. One other thing is there a small battery on the trailer, ie a trailer brake system that has a break away attached to it. If so, possibly the break away was somehow pulled and engaged the brakes. I have rewired a lot of trailers in the contruction business. They always need to be fixed. But when it's a brake issue, it goes to the mechanic.

Lizards
Old 08-31-06, 08:50 AM   #8
Crazykidd

Well I got the trailer back and it sounds like the emergency cable was pulled and that's the reason the brakes got hot. He said he fixed it but the wheel still feels hot. So how much hotter should the rear wheels with the disk on them be then the wheels in front of them????????????????
Old 08-31-06, 05:49 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Depends on how much braking you do.

Lizards
Old 09-01-06, 03:38 PM   #10
Crazykidd

just regular pull, I will learn more this week on the trip to Amistad
Old 09-03-06, 10:14 AM   #11
Jackl

BENDER,
Your buddy neeeds to check his wiring. If he has a lead coming off his back up lights to the master cylinder on the trailer, as it is supposed to be wired, he should be able to back his trailer forever, even up hill. There should also be a mechanical lock out that he can use to keep his brakes from engaging if he is not wired into his back up lights.

CRAZYKIDD,
You did not say whether you have disc brakes or drum breaks on your trailer. One of my fishing buddies has drum brakes and has to pull them several times a fishing season to clean the rust off the moving parts and lubricate them with waterproof grease. The drum brakes are bad about rusting up and not working properly, which will cause them to fail to release completely. This slight drag will cause them to heat up. He burned out a set of brakes shoes and warped a set of drums before he figured this out.

JackL
Old 09-05-06, 04:25 PM   #12
Crazykidd

They are disk brakes
Old 09-05-06, 07:40 PM   #13
Bender

JackL, It is a 15 year old trailer and there are no wires going to the brakes, it is all mechanical. When you push on the tongue, it applies brakes. It is not a bass boat, but a Four Winns 255 Sundowner.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 09:41 AM   #14
Jackl

BENDER,
If it has surge brakes, it should have an electrical servo that releases the pressure when the trailer is backing up. Check with a dealer or a mechanic to make sure the wire has not been broken off and never replaced. My first Ranger was a 91 model and had an electrical wire to release the brakes. If it was not hooked up, the brakes would lock when I tried to back up.

JackL
Old 09-06-06, 10:19 AM   #15
Crazykidd

I had the wiring checked. The problem is the emergency cable has been pulled and it will not reset.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.