Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bass Classifieds

Old 05-22-07, 03:07 PM   #1
mwheeler
BassFishin.Com Member

Exclamation Wanted: Baitcasting reel and/or rod

I'm looking for a good quality Baitcasting Rod and Reel combo (I'll also take only a rod or only a reel). I need one ASAP because I'm fishing in a tournament in June, and I need one before I leave. Please let me know ASAP what you guys have.
mwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 11:24 PM   #2
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler View Post
I'm looking for a good quality Baitcasting Rod and Reel combo (I'll also take only a rod or only a reel). I need one ASAP because I'm fishing in a tournament in June, and I need one before I leave. Please let me know ASAP what you guys have.

Errrrr...uhhhhh....Wheelie,

You need to mention what type of lure/technique you anticipate in the use of the rig, especially the rod.
I'll bet you can find, at almost any large sporting goods emporium, exactly what you're looking for, for a reasonable price, rather than risk buying a potential pig-in-a-poke, sight unseed, product uninspected.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-07, 01:02 PM   #3
mwheeler
BassFishin.Com Member

Crap! Sorry, I thought I put that up there. I'm looking for a 6'-7' medium-light (preferably 3-4 Power) Rod. I'll be using them for crankbaiting and on the occasion for flipping jigs in dense spots of weeds.
mwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 09:07 AM   #4
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well, Wheelster,...
You might do well with SMALL shallow running cranks and smaller lipless cranks with a Med/Light, but that will not likely work for the "flipping jigs in dense spots of weeds". Did I say "not likely"? I meant "disaster". In essence, an ML rod is at the other end of the spectrum when it comes to that tactic.
While I tend to laugh at those who are smitten with the "Technique Specific" concept, there ARE advantages and limitations to each type of rod re power and action. Most will perform at least two tasks very well, may two marginally (at best) but that's pretty much it. So, when you ask a rod that is better suited to cast and impart the appropriate action to small low-retrieve resistance lures in primarily obstruction-free water to accurately place a much heavier lure into heavy cover, much less wrestle a fish out of same, you are indeed asking for trouble and failure.
Also, if you persist in the latter endeavor and spool the reel with heavy and abrasion-resistant line you will be severely handicapped in the former task (casting and retrieving light goodies.)
Sorry to *precipitate on your processional, buddy, but there's no such thing as "A Rod For All Seasons".

Good luck.

FR
*See: Parade, raining on.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.