Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-09-07, 03:30 PM   #1
abugarcia6
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default need sum help

Allright theres a new pond i found. I know the guy that owns it, and maybe a total of 10 people have fished it in maybe 20 years. Its like in the middle of a farm and know one knows about it. I fished it last week and caught 22 bass, all around 1 pound but it was extremly hot that day, no wind, and sunny. I know there are some huge bass in there and i would say they are deep since its hot here. The pond is very shaded and has alot of trees drooping over the pond and in the pond. What should i use to catch the big ones?
Old 07-09-07, 03:52 PM   #2
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Man alright let me try to explain this in a way that isnt going to sound liek complete nonsense... regaurdless of the saying big lures = big bass, its not always true. Big lures = the potential for huge bass with the idea that you most likely wont catch many smaller bass. So if you strictly just want to try and catch big bass, use a big lure, you may or may not catch one. Now being the bass fisherman i am, i really dont care whether the bass is 10lbs 3oz [my personal best] or 3 oz. its about the whole catching aspect, dont get me wrong i love to catch big bass, but catching any bass is better than nothing. With that being said if you continue to use regular sized lures... just simple tiki stiks, zoom worms, crankbaits, spinnerbaits whatever you have just the same chance to catch a huge bass as you do with a huge lure, but you also have a good chance of catching a lot of normal sized bass. It all comes down to how you present your lure, and if the bass is in the area. you can throw a huge lure in an area where there isnt a lunker and nothing will happen, or you can throw a tiki in the area of a huge bass and BAM you have good odds of catching him. what i'm trying to say is present your baits well, and fish in the most probable spots for big fish... which leads us to that question, where to fish? its a farm pond in NC, i dont know how deep it is, but i'm guessing not too deep? with the heat the bass will be in the deepest areas... OR... under or near those trees. See the shadow casted upon the pond cools the water, and if its a feeding bass it will come shallow and well if it can find cooler shallow water than thats a good place for it to be... it can eat in the comfort of cooler water. So fish those areas with tikis, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, whatever you liek to use. If no success move to deeper water, its pretty much a hit and miss deal when you are fishing deeper water from shore, you dont know the underwater structure, where holes might be, etc etc, so just cast and cast and cast untill you get a taker. Next thing you can do is get out there real early, or aftr sunset and throw topwaters, try a jitterbug see what happens.
Old 07-09-07, 06:06 PM   #3
FlyRod

Talking Need SUM help?

Well, mayhap you are forgetting to carry over when doing your sums.

Incorrect:

+18

Correct:

+18

Glad I could help...anytime

Professor Fly
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 08:09 PM   #4
abugarcia6
BassFishin.Com Active Member

gah u are hillarious Flyrod, deffinatly playin ur pretty lame

Thanks for the help bassfisher. I think its a pretty decent pond as in depth. I think around 20 to 23 feet deep in the deepest. I knew most of that though, all i need to know really is what kind of lures work really well in deep water. I know all about shallow, i mainly use weightless rigged trick worms or flukes and shallow cranks, but deep...im lost on that one. Im guess a texas rigged Culprit mite work well?
Old 07-09-07, 09:02 PM   #5
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

well you can weight a worm and throw it deep, you can also fish deep diving cranks, jigs are always a good idea...

haha Flyrod you are one funny individual, kinda reminds me of... maybe Zooker, possibly JB, and even sometimes Reb. Keep up the good work.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.