Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-22-08, 10:33 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default when perch are "pecking" at your bait

i was reading somewhere about guys fishing for smallies on lake erie. they said that when a goby was pecking at their bait they would just let it sit. then the goby would gain the attention of a smallmouth......they said when the goby stopped pecking at the bait they knew to get ready because a smallie just ran off the goby and was about to bite. i got to thinking about the way bluegill do the same thing here and was wondering if it would work the same way. guess i was just thinking out loud but pigs reply to another post reminded me so i thought i would share my idea.
Old 03-22-08, 10:35 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Sounds like a good idea, but up here inthe north we have real perch. They are a nice gold color with black stripes. Bluegill are not perch.

BB
Old 03-22-08, 10:42 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

oh yeah to you they probably aren't considered perch. around here bluegills, sunfish, ect are considered perch. i do think they are a member of the perch family.........but i could be wrong.
Old 03-22-08, 10:47 PM   #4
BigBassin144

They are all in the same family. Although I believe it is the Sunfish family.

BB
Old 03-22-08, 10:49 PM   #5
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Daniel-san,...er, C-rig, perch are a family all to themselves. Walleye and sauger are in the same family. The "bass" that we love so much are actually in the sunfish family... sigh... just like the bluegill, warmouth, pumpkin seed, etc. Stripers and their ilk are the "true" bass. Sorta makes me sick to my stomach to think about it...

Your observation about perch nibblin' is one of those "Da#@! Why didn't I think of that?" things. Thanks!

-Pig
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 10:49 PM   #6
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

I believe Perch are in their own family. Walleye are their smaller bro's and sis's.

-Lunk-
Old 03-22-08, 10:51 PM   #7
BigBassin144

pignjig, are you sure that perch are in a different family because I though them, bass, and bluegills (and all the other little pesky baitstealers) are all in the same family. I could be mistaken though.

BB
Old 03-22-08, 11:17 PM   #8
pignjig

Yah, Big B, it's the sad truth. There's not a whole lot I know but perch and bluegills are not too closely related. For instance, yellow perch are classified as Percidae Perca flavescens. Walleye are Percidae Sander vitrous. Bluegill are Centrarchidae Lepomis macrochirus. LMB are Centrarchidae Micropterus salmoides. Perch, walleye, etc. are in the same family. Largemouth, smallmouth, Bluegills, etc. are in a different family. As a matter of fact, we'd have to go back to the order of Persiforms to find any relation between them at all.

Anyway, man, I'm in grave danger of coming off like a smart a## and that's not my intent at all. I've just always loved biology and what not so this "species identification" stuff is real interesting to me.

-Pig
Old 03-23-08, 12:05 AM   #9
torelaxandenjoy
BassFishin.Com Member

Pig I get a gill, perch or anyhtring nibbling at bait I wait to see just how hungery it is, but then my son tells me my reactions are slowing down because I am getting to old, that's when my reactions speed up and I toss in the brink to see if the fish are stil hungry for pork rind. ( ' ; ' )
Old 03-23-08, 12:14 AM   #10
pignjig

There seems to be a general conspiracy to see if pigs can swim, here... Happy Easter, Relax! When that moonshine drunk wears off, maybe you can find yerself an easter egg or two to stop the shakes! See if I show you how to thread a worm on an off-set hook again...

-Pig
Old 03-23-08, 12:31 AM   #11
torelaxandenjoy
BassFishin.Com Member

I know I can count on it!
Old 03-23-08, 12:57 AM   #12
Rebbasser

I refer to all panfish as bluegill or perch regardless of the species.

Back to the original question: I haven't ever found that to be the case. Usually the perch nips or runs with it because it dropped right it, and in the case of running with it the bait gets dropped as soon as it feels resistance.
Old 03-23-08, 01:25 AM   #13
carolina-rig-01

pig that was very informative, that another example of the great knowledge on this site.

reb i am with you if it's a panfish and not a crappie i call it a perch, but i know that isn't politically correct lol. a lot of my "perch" bites do swim with the bait like you said, but i do have some that just keep drilling it like a baby machine gun and not move the bait an inch. but i don't care how long you have been fishing, it's very hard not to set the hook even though you are 90% sure it's a "perch". because i have seen the other 10% of the time when it is a bass and sometimes a good one that hits like a "perch". but if i find the self control and remember to let it sit and see if a bass chases off the "perch" then i will let you guys know how it works out.
Old 03-23-08, 01:27 AM   #14
carolina-rig-01

oh and pig......seeing how pigs have hooves and not even webbed hooves at that, i seriously doubt they can swim all that well. but it's obvious that i am not the biology guru on this site so i guess there is a chance they could swim.
Old 03-23-08, 06:25 PM   #15
pignjig

I'd bet that all of us down south probably refer to bluegills and such as perch. It's just a common name. And, C-Rig, if there's the slightest chance that a muskie or pike might be in the water, I can guarantee that at least one pig'll be swimmin'!

-Pig
Old 03-23-08, 06:43 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

or a snake???
Old 03-23-08, 06:49 PM   #17
pignjig

Never had any issues with snakes. I guess I just don't have that snake-fearin' gene. Now, a while back, ya'll had some good stuff about gators that would also make any decent swine-like creature take to swimmin'.

-Pig, Muskiephobic snakeophile
Old 03-23-08, 06:54 PM   #18
carolina-rig-01

as long as i see snakes before they see me i'm not too bad. but when they sneak up on me or come out from between my legs i freak out. and there must be something about my new boat. in the year that i have owned it i have had 3 snakes try to climb in it with me and i don't like that either!
Old 03-23-08, 06:56 PM   #19
torelaxandenjoy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Your Uncle

Bet you forgot about your uncle's fear snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignjig View Post
Never had any issues with snakes. I guess I just don't have that snake-fearin' gene. Now, a while back, ya'll had some good stuff about gators that would also make any decent swine-like creature take to swimmin'.

-Pig, Muskiephobic snakeophile
Old 03-23-08, 07:07 PM   #20
pignjig

Ha! C-Rig, I can see that now! Last year fishing Kerr Reservoir a black snake fell into the boat from a tree limb. The guy I was fishing with weighed every bit of 400 pounds but he pretty much stood on the trolling motor foot control until I got that thing out of the boat. Ain't nothin' funnier than a big, ol' boy like that tryin' to squeeze himself onto a little spot like that! The boat looked like something from the movie Shallow Hal! It's like Radar O'Reilly said, "Snakes are people, too".

-Pig
Old 03-23-08, 09:43 PM   #21
carolina-rig-01

funny you should quote radar......when dad and i are fishing and i get bit by a "perch" and i say just a @%*@ perch dad will always say "perch are people too". mash is awesome!
Old 03-26-08, 02:35 PM   #22
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

There all muskie bait to me!!!!
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.