Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-08, 11:07 AM   #26
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
I I use the cheapest mono I can find as backing on the reels. I only put about 40 to 50 yards of braid on my reels.
So are you tying the braid to the monofilament already on the reel (I'm trying to visualize tying a J-knot with a spool of braid on the tag end.)
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 11:59 AM   #27
Fishnngolfn

I spool the reel with mono about half full. Then I use a double uni knot to tie the braid to the mono and finish spooling. This keeps you from using too much expensive braid on the reel where it will not be used and it prevents slippage of the braid on the metal spool. The braid digs into the mono and doesn't slip.

Ex. 150 yard capacity using 6 lb mono spool
I use 75 yards of 6lb cheap mono and then use 75 yards of equivalent dia. braid (I think 20# braid is equivalent to 6lb mono)

Practice the double uni knot. 8 turns of the mono and 5 turns of the braid. I use a table and tape to assist.

Mono vs Braid (diameter equivalent)
2lb = 6lb
4lb = 10lb
6lb = 20lb
10lb = 30lb
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 03:58 PM   #28
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
I can't take credit for those tips. All of the tips I mentioned were from others here. I have, however, found that it is good to carry a leather or thick rubber work gloves with you. That braid will slice into your hand like a hot knife into butter.

I did read online somewhere about setting your drag properly. It said to set your drag to about 60% of the line strength. This can be done using a portable hand scale. I have mine set that way and (combined with the KVD conditioner), I rarely get those "slubs" as you called them. I call them "loop knots". I think they appear due to the line not coming off the reel in a uniform manner.
I carry a 1" diameter oak dowel for pulling lures loose on my Power Pro hangups. Just a couple of wraps and a couple of twists then pull it like a lawnmower rope.

As far the "slubs" or "loops", after you hang up with your spinning or baitcaster just cast it then pull the stuck area free and go back to work. Braid will eventually wind up on the spinning reels too, it just takes a lot longer. Cutting the bait off and trailing out in the water and rewinding it is usually sufficient or after about 5 or 6 days of fishing, walk out in the yard, cut off the bait and walk all over the yard with the free end, then reel it back on. The line conditioner is another good idea with braid, especially new stuff
Old 09-06-08, 09:04 AM   #29
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

abbysdad, with the situation you described (having to bring the fish over the weeds) I'd get a 7'-7'6" H rod and put some 40-50lb braid on it. That way, no matter how far they dig themselves in the weeds, you can pull then out. If they get a chance to dig them selves into the weeds that is.

As for braid brands: I've used BPS Excel braid, Power Pro, and Suffix. Here's how I'd rank them.
1. Suffix
2. Suffix
3. Power Pro
4. Power Pro
5. BPS Excel

And I'm still very reluctant to place the BPS braid at 5th of the 3 braids I've used.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.