Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-21-10, 03:45 PM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default More Flyrod LGMouth basics..

First is the leader and how important it can be. If you choose a packaged leader like a 7x taper you have a 9ft leader with 6lb test max at the end. Most taper leaders are florocarbon and sink rapidily.

I suggest shying away from pre built leaders all together. They are great for all types of fishing except LGMouth. The big flies require a stout leader in 20lb test and should be shortened to the needed rollover point. For instance a 7wt in foward taper floating line can not handle more than 4 feet of leader and a big fly. But an 8wt with a floating bonefish taper can handle up to 6 feet.
Loop knots are vital at the fly connection for movement. And 20lb floro insures the fly comes back from some very thick stuff. And you know that is where the bigs ones are...

Lets talk about sinking floro vs mono.. If you wish the fly to "plop" when pulled the nose needs to dig into the water a bit. With mono floating all it will do is just skip across the water. Good for a sneaky pete but bad for a dalberg diver.

Later I will talk about fly lines and how to make them work better or just plain destroy them.

Capt Mike
Old 07-21-10, 04:06 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thanks, I am going to be paying special attention to these...

So you use a loop knot to tie to bass flies? Never thought to do that, I always used clinch...

My 8 wt came with a leader, are you also suggesting for bass that I discard that and go with heavy flouro of a few feet?

Just want to be sure.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-10, 05:32 PM   #3
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I never use a tapered leader when fishing with big bass flies. I use a straight leader. I just pull off 6 to 8 ft. of 12 to 15 lb mono off of the spool I use for bass fishing, go loop to loop from the line, tie on a bass fly with a palomar and I'm good to go. You don't need a tapered leader to turn over a big popper for example.

Hey, Mike, don't take offense. I'm not running you or anyone else down. Your advice is good. I'm just pointing out that there's more than one way to skin a cat. I'm sure you've been doing this a long time and so have I. Peace.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-10, 07:04 PM   #4
Captmikestarrett

None taken Jigger ... it is good to have input..

Thanks

Capt Mike
Old 07-21-10, 08:41 PM   #5
walkeraviator

ok.. someone explain loop to loop for me... the kit i bought came with 6wt line and a 4x tapered leader... so i followed the instructions and nail knotted the leader to the fly line. Now that I have retied over and over.. all teh skinny taper is gone and i have about 4 feet of the heavy butt left... should i just tie a tippet to whats left of my leader with a blood knot??? buy another tapered leader and nail knot it? or go your guys way... i would really like a system for changing leaders easily as the lakes i fish allow me to target bass, panfish, and small trout all in the same day...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-10, 09:33 PM   #6
Captmikestarrett

Just whip a loop like in the other thread. And tie a loop in the leader. Pass the leader loop thru the whipped end of the fly line and the leader thru the loop.. like hooking rubber bands together. To tie the leader loop..

Capt Mike
Old 07-22-10, 08:07 PM   #7
walkeraviator

So tomorrow I am headin out to try this fly rod again, although tomorrow will not be soley dedicated to teh fly rod...

i havent bought a tippet or a new tapered leader and i havent figured out all yoru guys fancy knot things so this is what i did in a pinch...

blood knotted some 12lb mono(i had it lying around) to the end of what was left of teh very thick (like 25lb mono thick) part of the original tapered leader. i will continue to use the palomar as it is teh fastest know i can tie... will only be using the fly rod for top water early on... hope it works out...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.