Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-04-06, 01:18 PM   #1
abugarcia6
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default having sum trouble

ive been fishin a certain pond for about 3 weeks now...but i havnt caught anything. Its really making me mad and ive tried all my favorite lures. Should i just switch to live bait and try that there? or should i still try a certain lure. The water is probably in the low 50's its sunny today and the pond is almost always muddy. Any ideas?
Old 03-04-06, 01:57 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd try the north or north eastern bank, that should be the warmest due to the angle of the sun, try a slow moving plastic..real slow..fish are either near the bank getting sun, or near the nearest drop and havent come up due to the crappy weather/moonphase
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 02:02 PM   #3
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Muddy water calls for baits that make some sort of vibration in the water. With the way your temps dropped off from almost 80 to 61 degrees on Friday, I'd say you're experiencing a major cold front that is either driving the fish way into cover or into a very inactive state.

I would first try a colorado bladed spinnerbait, black or chartreuse, thrown next to cover and fished at a moderate pace. No takers, I'd try a rattling, tight wobbling crankbait, and if all else fails I'd start throwing a jig or soft plastics into or tight to cover and working them slowly.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 02:54 PM   #4
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
I'd try the north or north eastern bank, that should be the warmest due to the angle of the sun, try a slow moving plastic..real slow..fish are either near the bank getting sun, or near the nearest drop and havent come up due to the crappy weather/moonphase
JB is correct. Slow in cold water is the way to go. If you think your fishing slow, slow down some more. What about a jerk bait? Good luck!

My dad's pond was muddy last year and he added lime to it (about 4 ton for 1.5 acres or so. The spreader truck drove around the pond and threw it in the water. It worked great and was not expensive. It corrected the problem in about 2-3 weeks. How that works, I have no idea! But it did. Good luck!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 02:59 PM   #5
scrap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

sooner or later, them fish will hit. hang in there.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 03:57 PM   #6
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If your having sum problems, I suggest you buy a calculator or find the Math teacher in your school district to help you figure the correct sum. I hope this helps. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 04:36 PM   #7
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

sum huh pnj
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 04:40 PM   #8
Wishing2BFishing

The sum of muddy water and cold conditions equals black spinnerbait slow-rolled through some structure or plastics with a jighead fished very slow.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 04:57 PM   #9
pig n jig

Get a job,second job,or a girlfreind that will give you large sums of money. Yep JB, he's definately got a numbers problem. Maybe the ol' bait monkey got more going out than he's got coming in. I seen the day where I wanted to buy a fishing item, but I didn't quite have enough money.Thats sum problem, ain't it ? P N J
Old 03-04-06, 05:06 PM   #10
Wishing2BFishing

Speaking of the baitmonkey, while I was driving home from work on Friday evening, the baitmonkey advised that he wanted to be fed. I didn't have much money but had to get him a snack. Consequently, I stopped at Dick's and grabbed the following items:

a couple Bandit 200 Crankbaits (one in black, another in "Old-Time")

a couple Bomber crankbaits (red w/ black back, chart with light purple bottom)

a mirror Rapala crankbait in white

some Zoom twin tail trailers in white (recommended by someone on this site)

and white 4" strike king grubs (going to also use as trailers on my buzzbaits)
Old 03-04-06, 05:10 PM   #11
bass kicker

try a wacky rigged senko
Old 03-04-06, 05:11 PM   #12
Wishing2BFishing

By the way, since I mentioned my newly purchased crankbaits, I was surprised to see that the two Bomber baits had different trebles on them. Perhaps one of the two was a leftover before the company starting using Excaliburs.

Anyway, I am having a mental conflict with myself. I changed a bunch of hooks on my other cranks . . . most of them now have size 4 Katsu's. However, some people have told me that this can change the action and/or ruin the wobble. Last year, I changed hooks on my DT-4s (they come with size 6, but I put the larger size 4's on). This size upgrade worked for me. At the end of the season the DT-4s (with the size 4 hooks) were the bomb.

I know that I have asked this before, but do you guys think that the larger hooks on my other crankbaits (including the recently purchased Bandits) will ruin the crankbaits' action?
Old 03-04-06, 05:13 PM   #13
bass kicker

or try a crappie jig of sorts we some times catch bass on them in spring by accedent
Old 03-04-06, 06:08 PM   #14
pig n jig

Wishin, It can definately change the action of the bait when you change hook sizes.You can buy 2 of the same bait, change hooks on one and then test both lures to see what difference it made from the original.I would rather downsize or remain the same than to go bigger, but there are people who may know more about it than I do.P N J

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.