Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-28-08, 10:21 AM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fishing green water

A local 100+ acre lake (I hear only about 15' deep in it's deepest places) is now very weedy and green with algae (warm days of summer light causing an explosion of algae).

The last couple of times fishing it, they just aren't biting. Any way to fish this short of waiting till the cooler days of fall?
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 12:14 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

worms, lizards, topwater (real early morning). when using worms...fish it real slow.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 01:36 PM   #3
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Differentiate your presentation..

How are you fishing it now? have you tried wacky rigging it? What about a drop shot with wacky rig?

Are you shore or boat fishing?

Fill us in a little more. I am sure someone here has fished something similar and may be able to help you out.

I know if Michigan the www.michigan.gov/dnr website gives contour maps to most lakes in our state, maybe there is something there on your lake, so you can get an idea of the current bottom structure etc.
Old 07-28-08, 02:07 PM   #4
Abbeysdad

Well, I'm mostly fishin from shore although I had the canoe on that water a few weeks ago. We've caught several small fish (bass 'n perch) outta here and I caught a nice medium sized bass on a purple snagproof worm (ones with the fat center) a few weeks ago. I know there's some bigguns out there cause every now and again there is whale song (okay, NOT...but you will see and hear the flop of a large fish pounding somethin at the surface - most often out farther than I can cast from shore!)
But the last couple of times out, nothin - not even biting. I sometimes fish real night crawlers - sometimes hooked twice on a #6 bait saver with alot of trailing tail, sometimes two #8 gang hooks a couple of inches apart on some 6# test leader. Sometimes I fish with a bobbin and no weight, sometimes Carolina with a bullet slider weight.
For artificial's, I tried a surface snagproof frog early (6:30am), then tried both a purple Renegade and a natural looking plastic worm. I tried both Texas and Carolina styles (Carolina to get out further). I tried every retrieve I could think of, really slow, twitchin with crank, wait, raise rod tip, wait, ..., 2 quick crank, stop, 2 quick crank, stop.... The Renegade has a nice swim like tail action, so I even tried a steady slow and steady fast retrieves. I was trying everything I could think of and got little fishattention. I got one hit the whole time and had him on for only a few seconds, but lost him (I suspect I didn't set the hook strong enough because when it came in the hook had just pierced the plastic bait by an 1/8" or so)! 3 weeks ago, my Mepps Little Wolf was near lethal with hits almost every cast (until the Woodfish got it). I had purchased another, so I tried that a few times, but nothing.
But this water is like pea soup with a combo of mud and algae and I wonder if all the fish are out in the center where it's deeper and the water may be a bit better???
Old 07-28-08, 02:42 PM   #5
Snake2715

Ok,

Color choices may play an important roll in this.

Lets see what some others have to say.

It might even help to get a pic. Check my other thread here with their suggestions.. is this what type of situation you are fishing:

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=16419
Old 07-28-08, 08:49 PM   #6
keithdog

I'm wondering what a 1/2 oz. spinnerbait with a large deep cup single gold blade with a white skirt would do in this situation. I am thinnking the bait could be worked slowly, give off a lot of vibration, and be fairly visible once the bass tracks the baits vibration down and finds the spinnerbait. You could also have just the exact opposite available to you as well. The same spinnerbait with a black blade and a black/blue skirt. See which would work the best.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 08:48 AM   #7
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I'm wondering what a 1/2 oz. spinnerbait with a large deep cup single gold blade with a white skirt would do in this situation. I am thinnking the bait could be worked slowly, give off a lot of vibration, and be fairly visible once the bass tracks the baits vibration down and finds the spinnerbait. You could also have just the exact opposite available to you as well. The same spinnerbait with a black blade and a black/blue skirt. See which would work the best.
Maybe, but it's awful weedy right now for a spinner bait.
Old 07-29-08, 06:46 PM   #8
keithdog

Thats what a grapling hook and 30 yards of rope is for!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 08:10 PM   #9
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Thats what a grapling hook and 30 yards of rope is for!
Okay - be sure 'n stop by to help - it's 100+ acre lake!
Old 07-29-08, 10:37 PM   #10
pignjig

When you say green with algae, do you mean the snotty stuff that floats and coats everything? Moves with strong wind from one side of the lake to the other? If so, there's some hope. I fish several farm ponds and flood control lakes that have that garbage. A weightless Fluke, Jr. flipped in the holes in the mats should produce as will a lizard, also weightless on a light hook. Zellamanders are good for this. Cut the tag on the knot as close as you can without ruining the integrity or it'll snag on the snotty stuff and pull the head of the bait over the knot. Good luck!
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 09:46 AM   #11
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignjig View Post
When you say green with algae, do you mean the snotty stuff that floats and coats everything? Moves with strong wind from one side of the lake to the other?
Well, my folks used to say 'the lake is working'. In shallow lakes (or shallow portions) and ponds in summer when the water warms up and there's lots of sun, the algae explodes with growth. The water is green with all of it - as though it was very muddy, but green instead of brown, it's green. You can't see even a few inches into it. Without cold flowing inlet/outlet, lakes and ponds may stay this way until cool fall weather puts the algae in check.
Old 07-30-08, 11:14 AM   #12
Bmuskin

It also means there are probably no grass carp in it. That is a big thing around Kansas City. Stocking grass carp to help keep things a little cleaner. I have seen them circle around when someone mowed. I have threatened to get a fly rod and tie on some grass.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 11:36 AM   #13
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmuskin View Post
It also means there are probably no grass carp in it. That is a big thing around Kansas City. Stocking grass carp to help keep things a little cleaner. I have seen them circle around when someone mowed. I have threatened to get a fly rod and tie on some grass.

The bass professor says grass carp= bad. Something about shortest digestive track of any fish. green oxygen producing material goes in, feces comes out. The water may look better but suposibly they are not very good for the habitat.

Who knows?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 01:26 PM   #14
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've fished ponds like what your saying and have caught them on bigger spinerbaits with either a black or white skirt. I've also done well with a black/blue jig with a Zoom Super Chunk Jr. (black). A black 10" Berkely Power Worm will work sometimes too.
Old 07-30-08, 01:47 PM   #15
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAddict View Post
I've fished ponds like what your saying and have caught them on bigger spinerbaits with either a black or white skirt. I've also done well with a black/blue jig with a Zoom Super Chunk Jr. (black). A black 10" Berkely Power Worm will work sometimes too.
Again, the trouble with spinnerbaits is there is also an abundance of weeds - seems to be a wide band of them 20 yards out from shore. I'm thinking it's better out in the center, but I'm mostly shore fishin. Just need to find another fishin spot till things clear up some.
Old 07-30-08, 01:47 PM   #16
Bmuskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
The bass professor says grass carp= bad. Something about shortest digestive track of any fish. green oxygen producing material goes in, feces comes out. The water may look better but suposibly they are not very good for the habitat.

Who knows?
Often wondered about that. I am not real fond of any carp.
I like the nasty old green mucky ponds myself. It scares the weekend warrior fishers but if you work at it you can find hawgs hidden in the slop!
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.